The MT-07 Forum

New Member - Seattle Area

th3godf4th3r

th3godf4th3r

Hello all!

New member here from the Seattle area. Going to pick up a white one this weekend! I have never ridden a bike with a clutch before but have ridden plenty of quads and know how to drive a stick so I think I will just take it slow and ride around in my apartments parking garage until I take a course in 2 weeks, I just didn't want to go in completely cold.

That being said this is going to be used mostly as a commuter to work in the summer or on the dry days (I have a truck for the other days) just looking for something that is easier to zip around town. I might do some mountain riding once i start to get better and understand the bike.

I heard back from the dealership financing and obviously these rates depend on credit but how does 60 months @ 4.24% =$154 a month sound? Should I keep looking around?

Lastly, since I have never ridden I am looking into all new gear and was hoping for some suggestions on a helmet, gloves and a jacket? Not trying to break the bank but I dont want to have to upgrade or get something better a year or two down the road.

Thanks for all the help! I will keep you guys updated on the progress and post some pictures once i pick it up!

bmwpowere36m3

As far as financing, it'll depend on your credit… However my credit is pretty good (just sayin) and Yamaha financing offered me 5.99% for 60 mo, IIRC. Crazy, I got less than 3% with my local credit union for 60 mo. So your offer isn't bad… but it doesn't hurt to shop around. They [credit union] were offering 1.7% on cars/trucks… obviously they consider motorcycles "toys" and not necessities, hence higher interest rates (and the lower loan amounts).

• Premium Member

Please please, as a fellow WA rider (Bonney Lake) please buy the gear you need/want prior to buying a bike..One of the worst things you can do is a buy a half ass set of gear to later upgrade costing you in the end a lot more..buy a good helmet, jacket, pants, gloves, boots..don't be silly by cheap stuff that in an accident won't protect you..then buy the bike..because once you buy the bike you will find out it will be harder to set money aside for gear

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Welcome to the forum! Go on to Credit Karma and check your credit score. Also go to a few of your local banks and shop around for a deal. 

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

th3godf4th3r

thanks all, yeah i know my credit score, its decent. I applied with my personal bank and cant remember my login for another that i think might have the best rate but looking around in my area that 60 @ 4.24% from the dealer is pretty competitive.

I know about going cheap the first time (i actually was just going to buy a 150cc scoot to begin with and then jumped to this) and i hate having to upgrade so i will buy as good of gear as i can now and then see what more i need or what i need to upgrade later.

So far i am looking at a Bilt Mesh jacket and either a Shoei or Bell helmet

th3godf4th3r

and Seattle area guys, what did you pay OTD? This guy is trying to tell me $8800. I know taxes are near 10% here but that seems too steep.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless
...So far i am looking at a Bilt Mesh jacket and either a Shoei or Bell helmet
I would second Shoei, Go for a helment that has ECE 22-05 certification. The ECE 22-05 standard is stricter in regards to helmet performance and how many Gs from an impact reach your skull.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

th3godf4th3r

thanks snow, ill look at some with those certifications tonight!

• Premium Member
and Seattle area guys, what did you pay OTD? This guy is trying to tell me $8800. I know taxes are near 10% here but that seems too steep.
I paid $7200 but that's because they did a typo as the finalized my paperwork.."oh well" I said when they tried to get me back to sign the edited version..shoot..I am not that crazy

th3godf4th3r

thanks Tino, so what were they trying to get you on the edited version? I am going to check out 2 other dealers, $8,800 is too steep for me :(

• Premium Member

I can exactly remember but I think it was $7800 OTD..Did you call Hinshaw's motorcycle in Auburn? that's where I got mine..don't tell I told you about them messing up..but if you buy it from them be sure to give them my name *wink wink

th3godf4th3r

Tino- Actually Hinshaw's is the one i have been dealing with but i am not doing $8,800 otd.

• Global Moderator

Skagit Powersports was about $8400 OTD. That was last July so I expect it would be less now that it is not a brand new bike. Of course it is the start of riding season so that will not help you.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Welcome!  Be sure to get some insurance quotes for this bike.

th3godf4th3r

Looking at Experience Powersports in Moses Lake, Lynnwood Motoplex and I-90 Motorsports in Issaquah. I'm gonna stop by the couple places around here this weekend, but I will post updates as I get around!

• Premium Member

Do keep in mind like mentioned before, is riding season and the bike has become very popular causing the supply vs demand to tip in the dealership's favor..

Archived