The MT-07 Forum

new member! just bought 15 fz-07

motoboy250

motoboy250

New member here, just picked up a new fz-07 this weekend. What mods does everyone think the bike needs? (besides exhaust) Just ordered a powerbronze 330mm windscreen, thinking about doing a home made radiator guard like the diy ones on here. Rode 90miles last night and bugs are caked in the radiator! 

Welcome! Depends on 'your' needs as to what it needs. I went with want. Functionality and looks are what's at question more than anything so how do you want it to look and perform?

Beemer

motoboy250

i just want it to look good, like removing the ugly tail on it. would like to get protection parts for it like the radiator guard and what not. sliders not to worried about it they look cool but wouldnt serve a purpose. this is mainly a bike im using on the nice days to get to work and have fun in the twisties on the weekends.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome motoboy250! Tail tidy and radiator guard are a good start; as you read this forum and ride it more you will figure out what you want/need!  ;)

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Welcome to the forum! Get a radiator guard, Keep bugs out of there.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Premium Member

Welcome!

We have a few great vendors on the forum for you to choose from if you're looking for anything! Check 'em out. Some even offer discounts just for being on here!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

Welcome! I would recommend a Radiator guard and some frame sliders. in my honest opinion, the two most important mods on a bike to get asap.

• Premium Member

Tail tidy...windscreen...rad guard and an ECU reflash by 2wheeldynoworks is your best bang for your dollar over getting an exhaust and fuel controller...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

If you do the diy rad guard feel free to shoot me any questions. OES frame sliders are nice and competitively inexpensive

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

• Premium Member

Welcome..I have focused on lights, LED headlight bulb, led turning signals in the front and turning signals from @wickedtwister

motoboy250
If you do the diy rad guard feel free to shoot me any questions. OES frame sliders are nice and competitively inexpensive
so pretty much this is just like and aluminum mesh 1/4"? i couldnt find it in the link that was on your thread, for some reason it brought me to a different spot. I saw you diy thread and that looks ten times better than a 120 dollar guard!

• Premium Member

I just went to home depot and got some wire mesh that went over some gutters. Just sat down with some wire cutters and done!

Very simple and easy.

motoboy250
I just went to home depot and got some wire mesh that went over some gutters. Just sat down with some wire cutters and done! 
Very simple and easy.
is that even wide enough? if so ill go there at lunch and get some!

@motoboy250 the 1/4" aluminum mesh would work good. The important thing is that you want a pattern with the highest percentage of open area possible, while still having protection from things hitting your radiator. The hex pattern mesh that I used has an open area of 80%. 1/4" circular preforated sheet has an open area of 58% max, depending on hole arrangement.

Btw the link in my DIY thread for the hex sheet I used I s intended to link there. That is Industrial Metal Supply's supplier for the various preforated sheet patterns they sell, and is the website that IMS provides on their website.

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

https://www.industrialmetalsupply.com/Products/perforated-sheet

Go there and then click on the various links to see specs on the round hole sheet or square hole sheet or complex pattern (hex, etc) sheet. They specify the open area % for each pattern available and is where I got my open area % numbers from in the post above.

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

• 2 weeks later...

Went to lowes and got some of this stuff ( http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=11811-46086-LAM&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3374312&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1 ) made a home made rad guard out of it. Used a very small piece of it, i could easily make 20 + of these things out of the one sheet.
All i did was took the side rad plastics off and made a template from cardboard.
Then i traced it out on the material listed above, cut it and placed it up against the radiator,and trimmed the metal around the clip to wrap it around the sides.

Lastly  i put the plastic pieces back on and it looks awesome.
less than 10 bucks for a rad guard!

i could have painted it black but i wanted it to blend in with the color of the radiator. 

Tail tidy...windscreen...rad guard and an ECU reflash by 2wheeldynoworks is your best bang for your dollar over getting an exhaust and fuel controller...
Made the rad guard, installed Powerbronze 330cm  (119 bucks on ebay)wind screen. a little bit bigger but it keeps most of the wind off your chest on long rides!

motoboy250 
Thanks! I just may be doing that myself but I may go with this more expensive material just because it looks like it would offer more protection against rocks/june bugs.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/MD-Building-Products-12-in-x-24-in-Union-Jack-Aluminum-Sheet-in-Black-56006/100274105

I made a homemade rad guard out of a similar material, but with a pattern with circles in it, but I took it off because I noticed the bike continuously ran hotter. The temp gage stayed around 220 f, and one I removed it drops into the 190's and doesn't always
shoot up to 220. When I took it off and put my hand behind it and blew air though it, I couldn't feel the air. My wife keeps telling me to just order one, but I'll try to make another one out of a less air restrictive mesh next time.

motoboy250 
Thanks! I just may be doing that myself but I may go with this more expensive material just because it looks like it would offer more protection against rocks/june bugs.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/MD-Building-Products-12-in-x-24-in-Union-Jack-Aluminum-Sheet-in-Black-56006/100274105
nice! hey what exhaust do you have on your bike is that the yoshi?

motoboy250 

nice! hey what exhaust do you have on your bike is that the yoshi?
Nah, it's the Akrapovic carbon fiber. I'm putting up a video here soon so you can hear it if you want. It does sound pretty bad-ass! Turns a lot of heads. 
Video of my stomping grounds: Not the best quality video, was recorded in 1935.

[video src=https://youtu.be/TWM4QV_pR54]

Beemer

• Premium Member
motoboy250 

I bought the same stuff from lowes for about 12 bucks. If anything, the bike runs a couple degrees hotter while traveling for extended periods below 35. No problem over heating though. Had a over 1k miles on it so far without problems.  

I don't think temperatures will go so high that your engine will be damaged, especially when the fan is designed to keep it at a safe temp. I'm just not worried over a few degrees over normal temps. Thanks for the heads up, I'll try my luck.

Beemer

Archived