The MT-07 Forum

Sharpie art on FZ-07 panels?

belleau1977

• Premium Member
belleau1977

Just want to see what your thoughts are on doing this to the panels on the FZ? I really dig the Ducati Monster 696 where the artist didn't use the whole tank versus the other bike where they did the whole thing which I think is way too busy. I would do the top and bottom section of the FZ tank, front small fender pieces, and paint the tail to match then sections of the tail. I really like this plus bonus I draw some pretty cool stuff and I like symmetrical artwork so I think I could do this.

[attachment id=400" thumbnail="1][attachment id=399" thumbnail="1][attachment id=398" thumbnail="1]

bmwpowere36m3

Looks good, I've seen a guy do a whole hood (BMW 3 series)! Really stands out... and draws attention, which might be a good or bad thing.

• Premium Member

I'm totally for it if it's done well, visually balanced and looks really good up close. Sorta sayin'...keep it crisp and bold.

• Premium Member

I like the concept, but like tattoos there will be a fine line between great, good, tacky and awful. I've always envied those that are artistic. I can barely even read my own handwriting, let alone draw well.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
belleau1977

Sweet thanks for the input! Majority of you are for it so thanks and yes I agree it needs to be artistic or have a nice design and not tacky. I'm going to go for something more artistic and not a graffitti scene. I love how the camero in this picture is done and the Victory. I won't cover the whole panels but would keep it more like the Ducati design.

[attachment id=402" thumbnail="1][attachment id=403" thumbnail="1]

• Premium Member

I kinda associate the look with a supersport type of style. I like it but, it just seems a bit more in line with something with a bunch of fairings.

• Premium Member
belleau1977

[attachment id=404" thumbnail="1]I[attachment id=405" thumbnail="1]
i like how the panels are broke up on the car that's how I would do it. The bike however looks very nice and not cheap.

• Premium Member

I'm a fan of the Ducati tail panel you posted, precisely because it's so original and was obviously a ton of work.

To me, that's what makes it so interesting and personalized, rather than it just being a complicated repeating pattern.

The skulls on the Victory really aren't interesting to my eye...They're commonplace and lack freshness...No POW!!!

If you're going to do it and you really have the talent, then go with what's in your mind's eye. Good Luck, post pics.

• Premium Member

GO for it! In the end it's all about what you and the artist come up with. Let us know how it goes if you end up doing it!

Of course, if you do end up doing it yourself, make sure to also research what you'll need to do to keep the sharpie on permanently.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member

Do what makes you happy...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator

I remember seeing an article on demiked about this, never really cared for it myself, but the art was pretty spectacular.
something along the lines of an american and his artist gf moved to japan, he bought a skyline r34 and his girlfriend proceed to sharpie art the entire car.

http://www.demilked.com/sharpie-pen-drawing-car-art/

sharpie-pen-drawing-car-1.jpg

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I like how the panels are broke up on the car that's how I would do it. The bike however looks very nice and not cheap.
I love the idea of sharpie art on a bike. It adds soo much customization to your bike and really can allow you to express who you are. If you have the ability, then do it. It will be the most unique thing you can do to your bike because even if someone else does it, it will never be the same as yours. Order white plastics now and do it now and you can swap them when you get the bike. This also allows you to keep your panels or go back to the original white if someone doesn't want to sharpie art if you ever choose to sell your bike. Here is a video I saw a while ago. At the end there is a small time lapse of him doing some of the art. Really cool, looks really detailed and unique and it gives a look to your bike nothing else will. 

I'm definitely a big fan of art but when it comes to art on cars, trucks, motorcycles I think the type of vehicle dictates what style of art should go on it to compliment it but that's just me. Like with your average low rider/cruiser I'm ok with every inch being painted in some wild design because that seems to be the norm with those type of bikes. A super sport looks gaudy with too much "art". I think they look best with stripes and race themed graphics - flames are ok but not too much. The FZ 07 is kinda in between and would look good with a mix of each but not too much either or it starts leaning toward gaudy and I have to say I like graphics that say something, have a message. That Sharpie art didn't say anything to me and was way too busy.

This: yes (cool custom cruiser)

[attachment id=425" thumbnail="1]

This: NOOOOO!! ("Pimp MY Ride" clown bike)

[attachment id=426" thumbnail="1]

Beemer

• Global Moderator

So do they clear coat it after doing the artwork? I would think that wear and tear would deteriorate the art and I can't imagine it staying immaculate after washing it a couple of times.

• Global Moderator
So do they clear coat it after doing the artwork? I would think that wear and tear would deteriorate the art and I can't imagine it staying immaculate after washing it a couple of times.
Im gonna say yes, its very unlikely that they wouldnt

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Yes they do. In the video I posted he actually talks about that.

• 1 year later...
image1.jpg

about one-quarter finished with mine at the moment.
Looks really good so far. Did you paint parts of the bike yellow? Or is it a yellow sharpie? I can't tell. Lol

Archived