The MT-07 Forum

National Cycle VStream Tall Touring Windscreen

sixstringtraveler

sixstringtraveler

Howdy All,
New member here...

I installed a Givi A2118 windscreen on my FZ07. I like the way it looks and it does seem to help with wind up to a point. Lately, I've been doing more highway commuting and considering a taller windscreen. I just saw the National Cycle VStream Tall Touring Windscreen on Revzilla.

My question is, will I get that much more of a benefit on this bike by going for the taller windscreen? Anyone have any experience with a taller screen on this bike?

Thanks

A decent wind deflecting screen makes more difference to you ability to stay on the bike than anything ( seat next). Less tiring from wind buffetting and better temperature for most of your body.
A screen does NOT have to be tall. It does have to be a design that diverts the win d stream over and/or around the majority of your body without vortex shedding. That is a function of design shape, position AND angle relative to YOUR body in it's riding position.
If yo are doing big distances it is worth finding a good screen and playing with the airflow.
My 2 cents worth

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

So what's the verdict folks. I have the same question. I have a 40 mile round trip commute and carry a heavy backpack to boot. It would be nice if I didn't have that feel like someone was pulling me off the bike.

Databyter

No one wants to be a guinea pig with the new Vstreams. I'm waiting for a review too. Trouble with flyscreens they often direct the wind right at your head unless you want to ride hugging the gas tank.

• 2 months later...
How's this? IMG_2173_zps58ftlk7g.jpg~original

Ey modmaster, I like your windscreen, could you please tell me where to find it? I really appreciate if you could post some pics of it!!
Thaaanks!

• Premium Member

[attachment id=894" thumbnail="1]The first time I rode the naked FZ-07 on the highway I thought the wind would knock me off the bike! I do have a windscreen now that I like, and it seems to do the trick. It is expensive though. It is the Madstad Engineering adjustable windscreen for the FZ-07. There is youtube video that shows how it works

. After a bit of trial and error I found a position that allows a smooth flow over my head creating very little buffeting while preventing wind to hit my chest. Here a (not so great) picture of it on my bike. 
I am a crazy Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)

• Premium Member
The first time I rode the naked FZ-07 on the highway I thought the wind would knock me off the bike! I do have a windscreen now that I like, and it seems to do the trick. It is expensive though. It is the Madstad Engineering adjustable windscreen for the FZ-07. There is youtube video that shows how it works
. After a bit of trial and error I found a position that allows a smooth flow over my head creating very little buffeting while preventing wind to hit my chest. Here a (not so great) picture of it on my bike. 
Pretty cool. Btw, did you know your  picture caught a UFO hovering over your rear seat? :) It was probably only there for a fraction of a second, but you got one of the best pics I've seen yet of an extraterrestrial craft. 
Since you're a physics professor, I can only assume you hold some interest for the little guys.

That Madstadt was my first early choice. Lots of advantages, adjustability, and it looks great. Have you rode with it at night yet? I heard one reviewer comment on reflections from the headlight because of the forward mounting position, but he didn't say if it was bad or bright or what. 

My screen reflects a bit of headlight as well but it is muted and not really a factor because of the angles etc.  At any rate that was one of the fears I had with the Madstadt since I commute in the dark sometimes. I went with the VStream Sport touring size. I like it, but I still like yours as well, and it is cool that you can adjust it, swap it out, or remove it :)

Keep an eye out for those aliens, they might come back. I have a feeling that they are always behind you following you when you go down the road.

Databyter

Databyter

• Premium Member
Keep an eye out for those aliens, they might come back. I have a feeling that they are always behind you following you when you go down the road. 
Databyter
;) 
My red beauty is pissed of at me. She claims that the aliens are making her behind look too big...But I find that comforting :) ...
In retrospect it is a bit too big but I had it already from a previous bike so it found a home there.

The headlight does indeed reflect a little from the windscreen, but not enough to be an issue. I do like the fact that I can raise it, and lower it and change the angle of it very quickly. An added flexibility is that the system allows a fly screen to be put on quickly, if one desires.

Marco

joserobleda, The easiest way for you to see my other pics of my windscreen is to just go to my profile and click on recent posts and you will see and learn all about the screen. Get back to me if you have any more questions after that. Always glad to help out a fellow owner.

modmaster

Archived