The MT-07 Forum

Why Dyno Tuning Is So Important!

2wheeldynoworks

2wheeldynoworks

You only have so much talent

When riding a motorcycle, we have so much to think about sometimes it can be overwhelming. We are so used to hopping in our car, closing the door, turning on the stereo and then we pretty much check out from there. It doesn’t require a lot of talent or concentration to drive our cars, especially when we have so much experience driving them. A motorcycle is much different, if we all didn’t share such a crazy love or obsession for this dangerous sport, getting from point A to point B would be much easier and safer. So the goal is to explain the importance of setting up your motorcycle. I specialize in getting the motorcycle to do what you tell it to do, when you want it to do it.

Every person is only given only so much talent (consider talent a balance in your personal bank account). We can improve on that amount of talent with practice and lessons (adding to the balance) but we also have to be aware of some of the things that require some of the little talent we have (drawing from that balance) to ride a motorcycle. For example, having bad tires, bad suspension, improper chassis setup and engine performance all rob some of your talent (drawing from your balance again) not leaving you much to figure out how to ride the bike. If you have bad tires, your focus will be on not slipping around and paying extra attention to corner speeds and road conditions (get the idea?). If you have bad suspension your bike will not properly stop, turn, or stick to the ground. If your chassis, handle bars and rear sets are not properly adjusted to you, you will be uncomfortable and not able to reach your controls or you will find your hands and feet falling asleep. In conclusion, if your engine is not running right, with the best tires, suspension and chassis setup, it can require all of your talent (your entire balance) to take off from a stop light and just get the bike just down the road (possibly putting you in the negatives in your account). If we can eliminate all the variables that rob little pieces of your talent, you can focus more on the building of your talent (being in the black, instead of in the red) and the enjoyment of riding your bike.

So let’s get to the part I do…the engine is the heart of the motorcycle and it’s critical that the motorcycle does what you tell it to do. I will help you to create a relationship with your bike that connects the rear tire directly to your wrist, there should be no reason that your motorcycle does not do exactly what you ask it to. So, that is where I come in. My primary tool is called a Dynamometer. Everyone calls it a “Dyno” for short. The dyno is a diagnostic tool that allows us to simulate riding the bike on the road in a controlled setting. While riding the bike on the dyno, I hook your bike up to numerous computer systems that allow me to see exactly whats going on with your engine and engine management system. With a few extra tools and parts we can make changes and make the bike run better. By dyno tuning the bike, I am simulating riding the bike and making changes to the engine management system until the bike runs perfectly. My goal is to connect your wrist to the bikes rear tire and get it doing exactly what you tell it to when you ask it to smoothly and without hesitation.

-Fuel economy, ride-ability and power in same program

By dyno tuning we can obtain better fuel economy, ride-ability and extra power all at the same time. Dynos are not just about making the bike faster like most people think, it is about optimizing your bike’s various functions. Horsepower is translated to energy, but it is the only measuring tool I have to see if the changes I made are correct. If I am dyno tuning and the horsepower goes up and gets smoother, I know I’ve made the correct changes. If the horsepower goes down, then it is an indicator I made an incorrect adjustment. The benefits of increasing the horsepower are not just to go faster, it will enhance all throttle inputs and help you in all riding conditions. For example, if you are riding on the freeway and it requires 20% throttle to maintain 60mph, by increasing the horsepower through dyno tuning, it may only require 12% throttle to maintain the same speed. With that said, fuel economy will be substantially improved.

-Confidence building

Dyno tuning your motorcycle can help boost your confidence. On most modern motorcycles, when you take off from a stoplight, the bike will chug, vibrate the handlebars and at times even stall. This requires you to twist on the throttle, rev the bike and burn the clutch just to get it going. It can be very unnerving to deal with a problem like this, especially in a parking lot at slow speeds. An example of a bike needing dyno tuning is when you are on the freeway or in a corner and the bike will surge, causing you to go on and off the throttle back and forth just to get the bike to do what you want. Dyno tuning can fix these issues and give you the confidence that your bike will respond to you, allowing you to smoothly let out the clutch and take off with very little throttle. Imagine cruising on the freeway, with barely any effort, holding one constant speed, relaxing and enjoying the ride instead of trying to just stay at the right speed. That is how dyno tuning can help you build confidence with your ride.

-Less service and maintenance

With a properly dyno tuned bike, you will not only make the bike run better but can prolong the time period between servicing and maintenance. Your current tune-up, parts, oil change, tires, brakes, throttle cables, and engine can last substantially longer. With the engine running smoother and now burning the proper amount of fuel, we have seen oil changes for as far as 5000-10000 miles, spark plugs go 25,000-30,000 miles and engines seem to last indefinitely. We can also use the dyno to diagnose problems and even forsee future problems. It can tell us if we need spark plugs, valve adjustments, problems with a slipping clutch, timing belts and engine rebuilds.

Dyno tuning usually requires purchasing programmers, resistors or parts but is worth it in the long run. On all bikes, no matter if they are brand new or in complete stock format, dyno tuning is important. The more mods you put on your bike, the further away you get from the stock exhaust and other components, the more critical dyno tuning becomes. When you have combined purchasing and installing performance parts, programmers and dyno tuning, you will find it will enhance your riding experience so much you will fall in love with your motorcycle all over again. That is the ultimate goal: To get more people on their bike and loving the ride.

Nels with 2Wheel DynoWorks

425-269-5332

- from my website

To add a little bit of update to this: We have many options now for tuning bikes, whether it's a fuel programmer like a Power Commander, factory fuel programmers, aftermarket ecu softwares that give us great tuning options like TuneECU, Woolich Racing, FlashTune(ftECU), or straight tunes like ECUnleashed. We use whatever gives us the best results for the bikes. We use over 2 dozen different programs for tuning, as many bikes may have make/model specific software!

Some makes and models don't benefit from an ecu flash, it's only been in approximately the last 10 years now that the software is what's been holding bikes back and we've needed to adapt and do more than simple fueling adjustments. Even on some new bikes, a custom fuel map can get the bikes to run as good as a flashed one, so we're not trying to sell ecu flashes to everyone. We're trying to make your bike the best bike it can be, smooth, powerful, with your right wrist connected to the rear tire. We create our ecu flashes on the dyno, in conjunction with riding feedback, to continue to make adjustments and improve where we can. 

With the amazing ability we have now to tune the entire bike via an ecu flash, the resulting ride-ability of the bikes these days is incredible. It transforms the bikes into what we imagine how they were designed to perform, with everything working together seamlessly. 

I should probably re-title this, why tuning is so important! 

• 10 months later...
  • Premium Member

Currently I run a Dobeck EJK and a full Yoshimura with a K&N. Another forum vendor "hordboy" has recently developed a rather impressive looking external filter for our FZ.
http://fz07.org/thread/5110/hordpower-airboxes

Now with all of these aftermarket things added what would be the best way to proceed for a proper ECU flash?
Would you need this additional filter info from hordboy to do an accurate flash? Im just not sure how all of these things are coordinated for this process.

This stuff is all 'french' to me and perhaps Im making the flash process more complicated than need be?

Thanks

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

603nytroxtx

Hey Nels! @2wheeldynoworks

Would I be crazy to ask if we could get a group buy together for a discount?

2015 FZ-07 Graphite
*Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Works Finish
*2WDW ECU Flash
*OES Sliders
*GearBrake Flashing Smart Brake Light
*Creese Tail Tidy with LED
*TST Industries Flushmount front LED
*Motionpro R6 throttle tube
*Yamaha Fly Screen
*X-Grip with Bruudt mount

2wheeldynoworks
 Currently I run a Dobeck EJK and a full Yoshimura with a K&N. Another forum vendor "hordboy" has recently developed a rather impressive looking external filter for our FZ. http://fz07.org/thread/5110/hordpower-airboxes

Now with all of these aftermarket things added what would be the best way to proceed for a proper ECU flash?
Would you need this additional filter info from hordboy to do an accurate flash? Im just not sure how all of these things are coordinated for this process.

This stuff is all 'french' to me and perhaps Im making the flash process more complicated than need be?

Thanks

Until we get the hardware in shop on the dyno, we won't know exactly how well it'll work but if you already have an EJK, we can do a flash for the Yosh which we have, then you'd zero out your ejk and do the fuel trims for the hordboy external filter to get you to the target air fuel ratio. 

2wheeldynoworks
Hey Nels! @2wheeldynoworks  
Would I be crazy to ask if we could get a group buy together for a discount?

Never crazy to ask. Shoot me a message.

• 8 months later...

2WDW ECU Flash actually made the Post Office perform better.  My computer arrived a day earlier than promised and it took less time to come back than it did going out!!!
 After pondering a ECU Flash for months and gathering as much information as I could I finally did it. To say that I was cautious would be quite the understatement.
 My computer arrived today. It is 40 degrees outside with light rain off and on, I couldn't work on the bike until after 6 pm so it is also dark. After I finished the install I started my motorcycle and warmed it up. It settled into a nice idle at about 1,200 rpm and I clicked it in gear. I don't intend to go for a ride beyond the front sidewalk, I have no gear on and it is dark and wet as well.
  Letting the clutch out I headed down the driveway, no throttle, no high idle . A three point turn at the street and back to the garage. A little gas up the grade, roll off , thread between a car, a porch and a garbage can. Suddenly I realize that the bike is gliding smoothly and I am confidently weaving through obstacles in the dark and wet with a big smile on my face. A graceful arc behind a car and back to the curb. I should mention that my driveway is only slightly  wider than my car.  It was then that I began to understand that excessive engine braking is far more than a little quirk or minor annoyance.
  I stuck my head into the house and my Mrs. laughed at my grin. She encouraged me to put on some gear and head out for a test. Black bike with a bobbed fender, 40 degrees, dark and wet. Good idea!  
  I'll leave the real review for later but suffice it to say my bike is SMOOTH!  I didn't run it fast or hard due to conditions but it is so easy to ride gracefully now. Another thing that I noticed is that I was always one gear higher than I thought but the engine didn't mind. I took one corner at 11mph due to road conditions and I was in 3rd gear. Sure it chugged for a second but it revved cleanly and took off down the straight with no clutch manipulation. Where was a bike like this when I took my road test? 
 Thank you to the guys who answered my numerous questions graciously, flashed my ecu and gave me excellent service all the way through.
  I'll have more to say as the weather improves but so far I am extremely impressed with the improvement this has made to the ride-ability of a completely stock FZ-07.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

...removed and sent PM instead.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Archived