The MT-07 Forum

'How To' use your FZ-07 Auxiliary DC connector

Guru

pineappleunderthesea
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DYE54LI/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

I did buy this one from amazon. Today I took out the connector and decided to see if it will work

I made the connections and it wont.

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong.
This might be an instance where having a pic on how you connected the thing would help.   
To see if the unit is not DOA, I would connect it up to the battery and see if it powers up (it can be any battery, car battery might be easier to access).

If it does power on, then it depends on how you made the connection--I assume you cut off the blades, stripped the wires?  Did you stuff those into the female connector, or did you buy the male connector and metal blades and crimp the wires on those?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No bare wires on both end. Electrical tape.

I didn't have crimping tool at home. Decided to make temp connection till I goto work where I have my tool box.

When I goto work tomorrow I will check if unit is working.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I'm pretty useless when it comes to wirring so bare with me on my questions. I definitely want to add a USB charger on the bike so am i correct in understanding that the connectors I need are already on the bike, and all I need to do is order a USB plug with the exposed wires and crimp/solder them onto the exsisting connector already on the bike?

Or is there another thing I need to order? Thanks!

The plastic connector is there.  You still need the prongs to which you will crimp your bare wires.  You then snap the prongs into the connector.

pineappleunderthesea
Hey guys, I'm pretty useless when it comes to wirring so bare with me on my questions. I definitely want to add a USB charger on the bike so am i correct in understanding that the connectors I need are already on the bike, and all I need to do is order a USB plug with the exposed wires and crimp/solder them onto the exsisting connector already on the bike? 
As mentioned in the previous response, the DC wire is already connected to the female connector.  There is a male connector attached to the female connector, but that male connector does not have the metal prongs that would plug into the female connector metal prongs.  So you have 2 choices: (1)you solder or jam your USB metal wires onto the female prongs, or (2) you buy the metal prongs for the male connector, then crimp your USB wires onto that, and then insert the male connector into the female prong.  I chose option (2), since I can remove the connector easily should the USB cable break or something.

This is showing both male and female. You just need the male. I didn't do it this way, however, due to the outrageous mailing costs. I simply detached the male plastic housing from the female, then stripped off the female plastic housing, then crimped bare wires to the female connector. To complete the job, the wires leads need to be separated with electrical tape, then heat-shrink wrapped.

3a3f23ed85b28280659d54826824685e.jpg

As mentioned in the previous response, the DC wire is already connected to the female connector.  There is a male connector attached to the female connector, but that male connector does not have the metal prongs that would plug into the female connector metal prongs.  So you have 2 choices: (1)you solder or jam your USB metal wires onto the female prongs, or (2) you buy the metal prongs for the male connector, then crimp your USB wires onto that, and then insert the male connector into the female prong.  I chose option (2), since I can remove the connector easily should the USB cable break or something. 

I think I like your option two for the cleanest install. So in this case I'd just need to get some metal prongs right, could I find those in local stores at all?

pineappleunderthesea

I think I like your option two for the cleanest install. So in this case I'd just need to get some metal prongs right, could I find those in local stores at all?
Probably hard to find a local store that carries this. I just ordered from Cycleterminal, just follow this link:
www.cycleterminal.com/mt-series-090.html

I would get a couple of the MT090-2 male connectors shown in the post above in case you screw one up. To crimp, I used my wire strippers, they have these little bulges on them that work okay to crimp. Needlenose pliers could work too, or a thick flathead screwdriver.  For the rubber grommet, you just need to bend in those little tabs to keep it snug.  If you scroll all the way down the page, there's a pic on how the rubber grommet and wire attach to the metal prong. It's then a matter of sticking the assembly into the plastic housing.

Probably hard to find a local store that carries this. I just ordered from Cycleterminal, just follow this link: 
www.cycleterminal.com/mt-series-090.html

I would get a couple of the MT090-2 male connectors shown in the post above in case you screw one up. To crimp, I used my wire strippers, they have these little bulges on them that work okay to crimp. Needlenose pliers could work too, or a thick flathead screwdriver.  For the rubber grommet, you just need to bend in those little tabs to keep it snug.  If you scroll all the way down the page, there's a pic on how the rubber grommet and wire attach to the metal prong. It's then a matter of sticking the assembly into the plastic housing.

Sweet, I think I'm all set then. Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Sorry if I missed it but to be clear is this aux power 12V power fused? 
Thank you
I have a feeling you're in the same boat as me.  I've got no power on the AUX port itself.  Meter reads between 50-70mV.

I assume the fuse I'm interested in is the Auxilliary Fuse from the diagram in the manual?

I've gone and done it now.  Replaced the fuse.  Blew again.  Just realized that my new phone is pulling 2.5A (stupid quick charge), through a 2A fuse.

I found some 3A replacements online, and local shop has 5A.  So...is anyone willing to say that it's OK to replace the 2A with a 5A to support my quick charge?  Is this total madness?

Thanks!

• 6 months later...
  • Premium Member

So the photos on the first page no longer work, but I have a question.

If I remember the Owner's Manual correctly, the aux DC plug you all are referring to is the one just behind the radiator, right?

What about the plug in the storage compartment underneath the passenger seat - what is that exactly??

his face seems pulled and tense
like he's riding on a motorbike in the strongest winds

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker
If I remember the Owner's Manual correctly, the aux DC plug you all are referring to is the one just behind the radiator, right?

What about the plug in the storage compartment underneath the passenger seat - what is that exactly??
The plug located under the passenger seat is used by the dealer for diagnostics. To access the aux DC plug, you need to remove the left tank panel (clutch side). Maybe someone will repost a picture to show you where it is located.

I've gone and done it now.  Replaced the fuse.  Blew again.  Just realized that my new phone is pulling 2.5A (stupid quick charge), through a 2A fuse. 
I found some 3A replacements online, and local shop has 5A.  So...is anyone willing to say that it's OK to replace the 2A with a 5A to support my quick charge?  Is this total madness?

Thanks!
Unless the wiring is very thin, I cannot see any issues with a 5A fuse, but proceed at your own risk. I hope to be able to run my heated grips through this circuit. 

• Premium Member

The plug located under the passenger seat is used by the dealer for diagnostics. To access the aux DC plug, you need to remove the left tank panel (clutch side). Maybe someone will repost a picture to show you where it is located.
No, as I said, I know of the plug behind the radiator. It's mentioned in the owner's manual. The FSM only lists the aux DC connector - I couldn't find mention of the cable in the passenger seat. Thanks for the tip. 

• Global Moderator

I fixed the pictures in the first post.

chrisburges
Unless the wiring is very thin, I cannot see any issues with a 5A fuse, but proceed at your own risk. I hope to be able to run my heated grips through this circuit.  
are you able to do heated grips as well as a phone charger. how would this be done?

• 1 month later...

Got my all weather USB charging port installed....got all the wires hidden for a nice, clean install. I'll post some more photos when I'm back on the computera70fd6ebd3e149e9b35426179c67201b.jpg57f24a789561cd97e1f3af6c9cd03a98.jpg29fbf2bc1e8d27459a3fb6915fbd9a6c.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

2 questions for this thread and the gurus of this terrific forum:

1. Anyone remember the item # or ID etc for the Sumimoto connector? That Cycle terminal site has been closed for a while. This site still has the connectors for sale. I'm pretty sure this is the connector in question but the "ID" on the page doesn't match the one from Cycle Terminal and I'm unsure if the naming conventions used are from Sumimoto or the resellers.

2. I use the Battery Tender adapter for the 12V battery terminal posts now for charging duties. When I plug in my new OnePlus 3T - which uses USB Type C - it rapidly charges and disconnects, without actually charging the phone. The issue is intermittent and I can't figure out why it's happening. Other chargers work fine. My previous Micro USB phone charged just fine. I've changed the cable with no success - and the cables worked with the phone and other chargers. What could it be?? The phone is trying to draw more current than the Tender allows? Would changing from the Tender to this aux cable even help? It's fused at 2A or so I read somewhere.

• Premium Member
panchobullet
2 questions for this thread and the gurus of this terrific forum: 
1. Anyone remember the item # or ID etc for the Sumimoto connector? That Cycle terminal site has been closed for a while. This site still has the connectors for sale. I'm pretty sure this is the connector in question but the "ID" on the page doesn't match the one from Cycle Terminal and I'm unsure if the naming conventions used are from Sumimoto or the resellers.

2. I use the Battery Tender adapter for the 12V battery terminal posts now for charging duties. When I plug in my new OnePlus 3T - which uses USB Type C - it rapidly charges and disconnects, without actually charging the phone. The issue is intermittent and I can't figure out why it's happening. Other chargers work fine. My previous Micro USB phone charged just fine. I've changed the cable with no success - and the cables worked with the phone and other chargers. What could it be?? The phone is trying to draw more current than the Tender allows? Would changing from the Tender to this aux cable even help? It's fused at 2A or so I read somewhere.
Sumitomo MT Connector Item# Set MT090-2

And you need the other side... the bigger one, should be this one
https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=335&category_id=107

- Pancho

You've never seen me cause I'm too damn fast!

• Premium Member

Yeah so I had picked the right set as linked. I know the one that's on the bike is the other mating half. Thanks for confirming  :)

If anyone's wondering about [HASH]2, I've ordered a beefier adapter from Amazon. Says it takes an input 7-20V DC (vs. the BT's 12V only) and outputs 3.1A @ 5V for the USB connection. I'm hoping that the behavior I've been seeing with my existing adapter was either due to water damage (under the pillion seat is not waterproof as we all know), out of spec 12V from battery for the adapter to rectify, or too low amperage on initial connection. The OnePlus 3T's Type C connecter supports a quick charge tech "Dash charge". It of course should support plain ol' 5V. I'm thinking when it's first plugged in, the phone tries to see if it's Dash charge compatible by drawing more than 2A for a moment, and that bounces off the limits of the Battery Tender's wimpy output. If not, well, I don't know what the problem is. The BT worked just fine with my old Galaxy Note 5's plain-Jane micro USB just fine.

EDIT: Yeah, it was just the BT 12v-5V module. The new one eliminates the problem completely. So doing this aux connector job is postponed until I decide on what to do with it...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

@myrcode

How do you have the usb part attached to the bike? I just purchased all the parts and will be doing this myself soon.

Archived