The MT-07 Forum

Dead Battery

murrayzack

murrayzack

Say I left the key in my bike overnight in the on position and my battery was completely and totally dead. Could I then give my bike a charge with my car or would I have to charge it with a certain battery charger/tender?

• Premium Member

Are you talking about jumping your bike with your car? Sure you can do it. I did it to mine last year. Depending on which tender you have it will take a while to recharge using that. If you can wait a few days the tender will recharge it, but if you can't jump it and go on a ride for a little for it to charge itself back up.

• Premium Member
Here is a thread on that same question... there is another out there as well, but I found this one first.

Guest Ralph

It would be better for the battery to stick it on a battery tender for a day or two
as a car will have a output way beyond what the battery was designed to take.

murrayzack

I ended up jumping with my car, rode for about two hours and all seems good. Hope I did no damage to the bikes battery!

bmwpowere36m3
I ended up jumping with my car, rode for about two hours and all seems good. Hope I did no damage to the bikes battery!
Letting the battery fully discharge and/or drop below ~12.4 VDC (lead-acid) leads to sulfation... sometimes its reversible, sometimes not.  It'll definitely kill the battery in the long-term (not 1 discharge, its cumulative).  So best to avoid draining the battery and defiantly using a battery maintainer when the bike is not ridden for long periods of time.

Guest Ralph

If you do it to a new battery say a year old you will likely get away with it
do it to a 4 year old battery and you will likely kill it, leave any battery
like that for a month or two and it will at best never be the same again, problem
with the MT battery is it's a bit on the small side so needs to be on top form to
start the beast.

Archived