Sign in to follow this  
ornery

Yamaha FZ-07, Very First Bike, Very First Ride

ornery
I usually try to contribute to forums, at least as much as I receive from them.  Unfortunately, ultra-noob that I am, I will not be able to contribute much at all.  So, here is a video of my very first ride on any bike... Ever!  At least in this post I can contribute a laugh or two:

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a5pVNfLuaY]

If you're wondering how I ended up with an FZ-07, the answer is simple.  I wanted a maneuverable bike, well capable of freeway use, upright seating, smooth and quiet.  No used bike, because I know nothing about repairing them.  Cars, no problem.   Bicycles are a snap, but motorcycles zero experience.  This is actually the first new vehicle I've ever purchased, and I'm 58 years old!  My research for which bike to buy jumped from the BMW 800GS to other dual sports, the Suzuki Gladius, Honda NC700X  and finally the FZ-07. 

I honestly thought a motorcycle would be easy to ride.  That notion was crushed when I first felt the weight of it.  Well, I have close to 300 miles on it now, and am scheduled for a safety course on the 11th of June.  I'm looking forward to it, and glad I'm not going in cold.   While I'm extremely impressed by what
can do with these bikes, I'm even more interested in the moto gymkhana.  Hoping this safety course will touch on that.   
  • Like 3

hippiebikerchick
Welcome ornery! You made the right choice from your list of candidates. Glad you joined our little group.

norcal616
Great choice and color for a first bike :D

ryan4130
That's a nice area you live in, very green. you chose the best bike color!! Watching your video and I think I saw that the dealer didn't set you up with a full tank of gas, the heck? I think you can benefit from the motorcycle class, though they keep it basic - nowhere near stunting or gymkhana. I just took it after riding for a month and a half prior to and it was painfully slow at some points, but don't rush the process. Rushing is when you make mistakes.

Something else the rider course teaches: ATGATT. All The Gear, All The Time. Everyone buys a helmet but don't overlook armored motorcycle gloves, jacket, and some sturdy over-ankle boots.

Stay safe and welcome!
  • Like 1

howworkclutch
Great first post. Welcome to the F zoo 7 forums and thanks for introducing me to moto gnueblarkityparfle or whatever it's called. It looks like fun.

ornery
Thanks or the replies and welcomes!
Just wondering what you think of using this bike as a "cruiser"? That's really all I wanted, but can't see trying to park a full size cruiser in my barn/ shed. That would be a bit cumbersome. But, when you look at this bike, it says everything but cruise!
I find myself putting my left hand on my waist to relax a bit more. It doesn't sit full upright.  I don't want my feet out front, though.  That's a bit too relaxed to suit me. Anyway, I'll wager there aren't too many on this forum just loafing along on this puppy :)

howworkclutch
A lot of new riders are choosing the fz07 as their first bike and I think its safe to say there is much cruising going-on.

With a taller, narrower bar and drop-pegs it would be a fine little cruiser. The seat foam may need to be reworked a bit though, as the seat is quite firm.

What makes this bike better than a standard sit-up-and-beg cruiser is it has brakes and enough power to get out of its own way. Most cruisers are just horrible bikes.

Beemer
Welcome! That moto gymkhana would be a great way to get any newb off to an excellent start. Would probably help experienced riders as well. Anyway, good luck, be safe and hang two!

jetgirl
Welcome ornery! 58 and riding a bike for the first time, that's terrific! I liked the video. I didn't laugh. I felt a little nervous for you. I'm so glad you're taking the course. You picked a good bike. 8-)

Eastern Kayaker
Welcome! Enjoy your new ride and be safe out there.

snowdriftless
Welcome! Glad you got the FZ-07. I was going back and forth between lots of different models. Don't worry about being an ultra-noob, there is plenty of information on the forum. Taking a safety course is the right thing to do. Take it easy the first few weeks and focus on one skill set every time you ride.

Remember to vote for your favorite color and drop a pin on the Map!

ornery
We're going to be getting rain this afternoon, so I found some light reading to pass the time:

[div align=center]MC_Guides.gif
[/div]
Planted my flag on the map, but it looks like I'm all alone here in the rust belt. :( Guess I'll go back to reading...

Guru
I gotta ask, what's under the tarp in the garage? A Rolls Royce? ;)

ornery
That's my baby:

_DSC7233a.jpg

While I know near nothing about bikes, I could go on for days about Ford's Panther platform. To make a long story short, Ford made the ludicrous decision to discontinue this platform in 2011. I felt compelled to buy my retirement car before they were all used up. That's a 2006 'Designer' purchased last August. I will keep it till I'm dead, and be buried in it! :)
  • Like 1

Guru
If you feel the need to share more, we have a car thread here   ;)