The MT-07 Forum

2003 BUELL XB9R my 2nd bike

jake

• Premium Member

So I ran into an old bud and he is selling his Buell for 2500 with 30,000 on it and I'm like hell I'll give you that .......

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/buell_firebolt_xb9r_2003.php

Keeping the FZ of course but hope the wife will ride the FZ and I can ride the Buell when and if we go sounds like a plan to me what do you guys think?

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

A word of warning: the perimeter brake is very effective. It makes a lot of heat and will cause a hot-spot. When at a light, try to not hold the front brake as thats what causes the hot-spot. You can use a green plastic scrub pad and brake cleaner to remove the hot-spot. If you don't know what i mean by hot-spot: it manifests as a pulsing at speed, and a very scary "grabby" part at low speed. Easily fixed with scrubbing though.

Buells are fun. They sound great and handle well. I miss mine. A lot.

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Nice pickup. When I was still in the fantasy phase "I'll get a motorcycle some day I swear" in 2007 I loved Buells for their intelligent design. Then win I actually purchased a motorcycle I was glad to see EBR in business. Alas, Now I only have the prospect of picking up something on the used market.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Premium Member
belleau1977

I love the naked version but the Harley shops I've talked to hate dealing with Buels and I've read they have a few hiccups here and there with the electrical also. I have several times wanted a Buel but every time I keep finding they have issues and since Buell is no longer I don't know how parts are. Love the bike still but just a word of warning.

• Premium Member
howworkclutch
I love the naked version but the Harley shops I've talked to hate dealing with Buels and I've read they have a few hiccups here and there with the electrical also. I have several times wanted a Buel but every time I keep finding they have issues and since Buell is no longer I don't know how parts are. Love the bike still but just a word of warning.
never ever ever believe anything a harley employee says about buell unless that employee races. 

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member

So I'm getting the bike for 2,500 it has 30,0000 miles on it.

Everyone I've talked to said its a good bike and to be honest I've wanted a Buell since they first came out.

I just watched this the other day and when I saw my bud who was selling his I was like no brainer

Had one guy tell me "Don't get it" I asked why and he said "they are not making parts for it anymore." " that's it? nothing else" I asked " "Yeah" he said ... So I'm thinking who gives a crap its not like they make parts for every bike ever made, bikes like everything else come and go.

The plan is when the wife decides to ride she will have a bike. The Buell is like 75 Hp so not much more then the FZ so I'll let her pick which one she likes to ride. I'm stoked gong to get the new ride Friday.

• Premium Member

so First impression is this thing is cool as hell, sport bike that sounds like a Harley is cool factor 10 of 10 ( this bike is unique in so many ways). This thing pulls hard once you get into the power. I was told it has an after market exhaust and ECU reflash making around 100 hp and I cant say it doesn't because it sure feel like it.

Now to live with this thing for a daily is not going to happen... at least for now. The seating position is horrible for me. Not a huge fan of the color it looks like a 80's Z24 lol. The fuel pump is loud and might need some work but for now its still pushing fuel. The valves are making a lot of noise not sure if that's normal but it runs great IMO.

So over all the bike is in good condition and I'm very happy with it.

I absolutely love Buell bikes. They were full of innovation in their day. I would be worried about parts availability. I passed on one last year that a co-worker was selling and am kicking myself.

Archived