Sign in to follow this  
ryan4130

DIY: Cheap Radiator Guard + Screen Protector

ryan4130
Update: No temperature difference with the radiator guard installed!

ryan4130
Thanks dewski. To anyone in San Diego, I have a bunch of material left over from this that you can have in exchange for some beers!
  • Like 2

cndnmax
Not sure how those screen protectors will hold up in the rain but I got some cheap anti-glare ones from eBay. Should be able to make like 6 of them.

FZRDR
Good for you Ryan!
always nice to see someone create their own solution!

tino206
Great DIY..One think I have kept wondering is how much does this "protector" actually cover? most rocks are so tiny that they will fit in between the honeycombs in these protectors, but at the same you can't have them be so tiny since the radiator won't get a good airflow..thoughts? I guess you gamble on the rocks hitting the protector and not going through..?

jmccabe
Nice DIY im going to do that this weekend.

bmwpowere36m3
Great DIY..One think I have kept wondering is how much does this "protector" actually cover? most rocks are so tiny that they will fit in between the honeycombs in these protectors, but at the same you can't have them be so tiny since the radiator won't get a good airflow..thoughts? I guess you gamble on the rocks hitting the protector and not going through..?

It's a trade off.... best protection = no holes, best airflow = "all" holes or no screen.

With time most radiators will get damaged and plugged up... A correctly sized radiator will have enough capacity to allow for that loss of cooling/performance. Most people don't touch their radiators and they last the life of the bike, unless their damaged in a crash.

If you notice the bike running hotter and/or are very inclined to maintain the radiator 100%... It wouldn't hurt to, every so often, hose/clean/blow out the radiator fins. Bent fins can be straightened out with a "radiator comb" or small flat screwdriver or pick. However a few bent fins only "looks" bad.

My thoughts, a screen or guard is their to protect the radiator from any large debris that could due real damage, i.e. crack a passage and cause a leak, severely damage the fins or a large portion of them. Something that would keep you from riding home, i.e., stranded.

I'd be happy with perforations on the order of 1/4".

ryan4130

Small rocks have less mass and a lower chance of damaging the metal radiator. The larger rocks would have to enter the radiator guard normal to its surface to get through and I'd say chances of that happening are very low. Solutions like these work because most of the time debris hits the radiator guard first and either gets deflected away or passes through after losing speed (so they have less chance of damaging the radiator). Probably got too theoretical with that, but that is the concept as I see it.

I'd be interested to see a comparison in the construction of the Evotech rad guard (or other honeycomb guard). Eyeballing it, the hex dimensions look similar if not the same...

sorkyah
It's a trade off.... best protection = no holes, best airflow = "all" holes or no screen.

With time most radiators will get damaged and plugged up... A correctly sized radiator will have enough capacity to allow for that loss of cooling/performance. Most people don't touch their radiators and they last the life of the bike, unless their damaged in a crash.

If you notice the bike running hotter and/or are very inclined to maintain the radiator 100%... It wouldn't hurt to, every so often, hose/clean/blow out the radiator fins. Bent fins can be straightened out with a "radiator comb" or small flat screwdriver or pick. However a few bent fins only "looks" bad.

My thoughts, a screen or guard is their to protect the radiator from any large debris that could due real damage, i.e. crack a passage and cause a leak, severely damage the fins or a large portion of them. Something that would keep you from riding home, i.e., stranded.

For our radiators is there a decent way to straighten the fins? Ive yet to find a fin comb that will fir our bikea

squidsquiddly
Wow. I nominate this for revzilla gift card award. Great work and two DIY's I've been meaning to do

bmwpowere36m3

For our radiators is there a decent way to straighten the fins? Ive yet to find a fin comb that will fir our bikea
Flat screwdriver, awl/pick, etc… I'm sure there's a comb out there that'll work.

sorkyah
Matco, snapon, lisle, cornwell and mac tool trucks dont show them in their catalouges

bmwpowere36m3
Matco, snapon, lisle, cornwell and mac tool trucks dont show them in their catalouges
It's been a while since I looked for one... do you know how many fins per inch the radiator is?  There are tons of them on Amazon.