The MT-07 Forum

So to clarify chain adjustment...

kakusaizou

kakusaizou

You measure the slack from the bottom of the swingarm? This is odd because every bike I've had you measure the amount of play between the up and down tension freeplay of a chain. Should the chain be able to hit the swing arm when you yank it all the way up?

Also, is the stock chain on new FZ-07s DID brand chains?

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Per the owner manual you pull down on the chain and measure the gap between it and the swing arm. the distance should be between 2-2.2" I built a Go/No Go Gauge out of a scrap piece of lumber. At this spec my chain does not hit the swing arm.

I am not sure of the chain brand.

Guest Ralph

Mine as a DID from new, needed adjusting badly at about 300 miles then the
dealer adjusted it again at the 600 mile service. I thought they had adjusted
it a little on the tight side and also that if I pressed hard I could just
make it touch the underside of the swinging arm, now at 4000 miles it is as far
as I can tell exactly the same, all I have done is oil it if it looks in any
way dry.

You measure the slack from the bottom of the swingarm? This is odd because every bike I've had you measure the amount of play between the up and down tension freeplay of a chain. Should the chain be able to hit the swing arm when you yank it all the way up? 
Also, is the stock chain on new FZ-07s DID brand chains?

It's because that, yes, the chain may touch the swingarm when you push up on it.That's why you are instructed to push it downward to measure the slack. The stock chain is a DID 525VAZ.

On the swing arm do you guys measure from metal (just after the chain guide) to the chain or from the rubber chain guide to the chain.

• Premium Member
One the swing arm so you guys measure from metal (just after the chain guide) to the chain or from the rubber chain guide to the chain.
What @wickedtwister said. 
This is from the owner's manual....

UXgtvEY.jpg

• Global Moderator
^^^ this. And I use digital calipers because I'm OCD at times ha.
Im OCD at times too, need to find my calipers so i can at least double check the dealership's work

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

That's why i built the go/no go gauge. I can be lazy and OCD at the same time... I check it every time i oil the chain. Ok forum time is over back to work on customer panels haha

• Global Moderator

go/nogo gauge would be a good idea. maybe ill get one made up at a machine shop. i dont have much for scrap laying around

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I could cut them out in acrylic on the laser cutter/engraver and sell them haha. Too bad its at home and I'm not for another few months.

Archived