The MT-07 Forum

Suburban Machinery M1 Bars

aeisan

Installed the M1 (Ducati Monster) bars from Suburban Machinery today.  Thanks a TON to @pgeldz for all his help and taking the first plunge on these bars to confirm they indeed work well on our bike.  

I gotta say... The new stance give the bike a whole new life!  I love them.  I'm so glad I didn't go with the Renthal Ultra-lows or drag bars... This is what I REALLY wanted. Not knocking the other bars, they just were not my style but I was very close to getting them anyway, which I would have ended up regretting. I have only ridden around the block in 1st gear with them so far, so I still need a full test ride and probably still need to tweak things a bit here and there. 

Some tips/info...  

No, the holes that come drilled in the bars do not match up with the FZ-07 controls - unless you have ungodly long thumbs... Then the clutch side controls could work without alteration. The only thing I drilled a new hole for was the throttle assembly, because I like to have that thing locked in 100%  - never want it to twist and end up with e sticky throttle.  

Yes, these fit just fine lock to lock with NO touching the plastics.  However, watch your thumbs...  There's just barely enough clearense that you won't pinch your thumbs on the grips at full lock, but if for some reason you are starting the bike or using the turn signal and the bars go to full lock with your thumb on the controls (I can't think WHY this would happen under normal riding ha, but I did do it backing the bike out of the garage) they will get pinched.  Mine did at least ha.  Not a big deal in the least though.   

I didn't measure the width vs stock, but I did put the stock bars back up to the bike after the install.  The width is very close to stock.  Technically, the bars a maybe 1/2" wider on each side, but I noticed the factory grips hung over the ends of the stock bars by at least that much.  Then again... It's not really an applese-to-apples comparison, given the sweep, rise, etc. are drastically different.  

I have a few more mods in mind and then some day I'll clean her up and take her out for a nice photo shoot with the dSLR, but until then here's some crappy phone pics; please excuse the bugs, she needs a bath:

hTZuGRal.jpg

6MZgNjnl.jpg

iEZssqxl.jpg

Z3OPmDGl.jpg

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member

I knew you'd love them! They look fantastic!!!

Do you have the rearsets on the way? Does it feel weird without them?

- Paulie

I knew you'd love them! They look fantastic!!! 
Do you have the rearsets on the way? Does it feel weird without them?

- Paulie
 Thanks dude!  Mom and pop must have been getting some orders, or at least a few other inquiries... The bars are now listed as "Ducati Monster & Yamaha FZ-07 (7/8")" most likely thanks to you letting them know they work so well haha... Oh, and your bike is shown on there!  She's a sexy model, that's for sure! http://www.suburban-machinery.com/duchypmoto.html 
Rearsets...  Yes, and yes...  They can't get here soon enough!  Ordered them on the 14th, same day as the bars.  When I dropped into some corners on my "test ride" I just felt off.  Too crunched up.  I can still ride it without them (and will!) but they will be a very welcome addition.  

All that's left now is a belly pan, those rear LEDs that @wickedtwister is working on, and the suspension and I think I'll be just about done for a while.  Some other small replacement things, like new grips, bar ends, etc.  I might buy a fly screen, but really think I like it best without one.  So far, 100% of the labor that's gone into this bike has been mine.  I'm hoping to keep it that way, but I'll have to buy some new tools I think for the suspension work.  If anything, that's the one bit I might have a mechanic do if I can find a good shop locally.  

Oh, and black out the side covers. Fork & swingarm sliders...

Who am I kidding? That's never all there is left to do haha!

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I hear you there is always something to do. I also want to get my side covers and swing arm powder coated this winter. I scratched the swing arm replacing tire. :( Im also going to get a set of the swing arm spool adapters from gilles tooling. Let me know whenever you want to get those panels. I'll make them however you want. I'm spending my memorial day weekend filling orders and building inventory haha.

You get the wiring figured out yet for the rad/amber option? I think that's what I want to go with if you do. Red comes on w/ brake & amber for turn signals.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Yup not a problem. Its a more work but I can do it. There are 2 relays that are needed to turn brake light off when turn signal is on. These can be mounted anywhere under the seat, but area between storage compartment and tail light is the optimal location. . Right now the biggest slow down is getting the panels from Yamaha... Apparently I put all us warehouses in a back order gather supplies for these things. More coming from Japan in a week or so :)

• Global Moderator
Yup not a problem. Its a more work but I can do it. There are 2 relays that are needed to turn brake light off when turn signal is on. These can be mounted anywhere under the seat, but area between storage compartment and tail light is the optimal location. . Right now the biggest slow down is getting the panels from Yamaha... Apparently I put all us warehouses in a back order gather supplies for these things. More coming from Japan in a week or so :)
Shit, no wonder i dont have an eta for my second set. Ordered em this morning and was told theres a backorder for some reason. Well call you when we get a set delivery date

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

my dealer told me about June 8th on one and June 16th on the other.

No worries man.  I'm in no rush.  Would rather a good, clean product than worry about how soon I get it.  Let's do it right and if you need to charge more for extra relays, etc. that's fine by me.  You're saving me at least a day's worth of work just making the darn things haha, let alone the R&D time.  I have no issues supporting something like that.   
Have you looked into using high-temp silicon in lieu of the hot glue?  Is that more cost?  Seems to me it would be better, but you're the expert.  I've not really weighed the pros and cons of each.  

• Premium Member
wickedtwister
No worries man.  I'm in no rush.  Would rather a good, clean product than worry about how soon I get it.  Let's do it right and if you need to charge more for extra relays, etc. that's fine by me.  You're saving me at least a day's worth of work just making the darn things haha, let alone the R&D time.  I have no issues supporting something like that.   
Have you looked into using high-temp silicon in lieu of the hot glue?  Is that more cost?  Seems to me it would be better, but you're the expert.  I've not really weighed the pros and cons of each.  
I have not looked at high temp silicone much but did try epoxy.  Basically I use hot glue because its pretty thick but it still flows around the components to seal water out.  I am not sure how well silicone will flow around the components.   With the epoxy i would have to build a dam all the way around where i wanted to keep it pour it and let harden.   

• Global Moderator
3c751be5b631b3427fbfacc759dedd97.jpg

http://m.homedepot.com/p/GE-Silicone-II-10-1-oz-Clear-Window-and-Door-Caulk-GE5000-24C/100026175/

Im using this and it doesnt flow as well as an epoxy but almost as well as the hot glue i tried. Its a neutral cure so no corrosive effect for the wiring

@aesian sorry for taking the thread off topic

No worries man. Keep the discussion going. It's all good. I have forum ADD haha... I just type what comes to mind when it comes to mind, regardless of the thread topic.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister
No worries man. Keep the discussion going. It's all good. I have forum ADD haha... I just type what comes to mind when it comes to mind, regardless of the thread topic.
I have a couple panels that I messed up (scratched with the drill bit) I will try the silicone on one of them and see how it fairs in the water bucket test.

suspiciouspackage

I'm pretty mechanically inclined when it comes to cars but since I've never done work like this on my bike (or any bike for that matter), how hard would you say the install was? I also heard there were mounting nubs on the left side control pods, how did you deal with those? Also, for the right side pod, what did you use to drill in the new hole? Asking so many questions because I'm just about to pull the trigger on buying one of these.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I don't have these specific bars but I installed a set of renthal bars and on a scale of 1-10 I would say its a 3. Really its just taking everything off old bars, measuring, marking and drilling holes in new bar and reinstalling everything. One thing to be aware of is the control pods have a distance side to side and a rotational aspect of the hole location. I measured the distance from the old bar end... (Be careful because the stock grips hang over the bars about an inch. Always install bar ends when measuring and marking for your hole locations. ). Marked a complete circumferential line around the bar and installed the controls where I wanted them. (Using painters tape and a sharpy on the control to locate the pin placement.) Then transfered the mark over. Drew a line over to my other mark and where they crossed I drilled my hole. I clamped my bar in a milling machine but that is not required. I could have used a hand drill if I could have found the thing. Repeat for the other side and hole(s). Can't remember if there is 2 or 3 on these bars. I did bars on 2 bikes at the same time so they both blend together. Good luck and ask questions if you need any more help.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Forgot to mention....If you use a hand drill use a very good center punch or the drill bit may walk. I always drill a small pilot hole first then the actual size I need.

• Global Moderator
Forgot to mention....If you use a hand drill use a very good center punch or the drill bit may walk. I always drill a small pilot hole first then the actual size I need.
Good tactic, and a must for any time you're drilling a hole imho. I usually start with a modified centerpunch and a 1/64 drill bit before moving to whatever size i need.
You remember what size bit you nedded for the locators on the stock controls?

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I don't remember what I had for lunch, haha. No its been too long that was the first or second week i had the bike. I seem to think they may have been 2 different sizes... or that may have been the Z1000... I don't remember. As far a pre-drill size i try to do about 1/3 the final diameter, but that is not always possible. Most important thing is to use a nice sharp drill bit and you wont have any issues.

suspiciouspackage

Sounds like so much work. Almost wanna take it to a shop so I don't mess it up. Haha.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Its really not that much work. Its just hard to explain it without sounding overly complex... Take you time and it should take you 2-3 hours max. I would never let a shop do bars on a bike unless you were there telling them how you want everything. (angle of the levers and relative position of the controls to those levers can make or break a new bar)

I would suggest taking it apart first to figure out the hole sizes, and gauge how difficult you think it will be. I think if you can change the brakes on your car you should be able to do this. When you do the throttle side don't forget about the throttle cable to brake lever interaction.

Im sure there are videos out there on how to do this. If not let me know and I'll be glad to write out step by step on how i did my bars wont have any pictures but i think i can explain it.

It's not too hard at all. For the clutch side controls, I just ground the nub down; clamping force is plenty enough and I wanted to be able to adjust it if I wanted to. I did drill a hole for the throttle nub; used a 3/16" bit designed to drill through metal.

Here's a great video on the whole process, it's nearly identical to the FZ-07...

howlinhoss

Want a better way? Wrap masking tape on the bars. Position controls where you want and press the knob on the tape to make an indent. Then outline the mark with a sharpie. Now you have your drill marker.

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
Installed the M1 (Ducati Monster) bars from Suburban Machinery today.  Thanks a TON to @pgeldz for all his help and taking the first plunge on these bars to confirm they indeed work well on our bike.   
I gotta say... The new stance give the bike a whole new life!  I love them.  I'm so glad I didn't go with the Renthal Ultra-lows or drag bars... This is what I REALLY wanted. Not knocking the other bars, they just were not my style but I was very close to getting them anyway, which I would have ended up regretting. I have only ridden around the block in 1st gear with them so far, so I still need a full test ride and probably still need to tweak things a bit here and there. 

Some tips/info...  

No, the holes that come drilled in the bars do not match up with the FZ-07 controls - unless you have ungodly long thumbs... Then the clutch side controls could work without alteration. The only thing I drilled a new hole for was the throttle assembly, because I like to have that thing locked in 100%  - never want it to twist and end up with e sticky throttle.  

Yes, these fit just fine lock to lock with NO touching the plastics.  However, watch your thumbs...  There's just barely enough clearense that you won't pinch your thumbs on the grips at full lock, but if for some reason you are starting the bike or using the turn signal and the bars go to full lock with your thumb on the controls (I can't think WHY this would happen under normal riding ha, but I did do it backing the bike out of the garage) they will get pinched.  Mine did at least ha.  Not a big deal in the least though.   

I didn't measure the width vs stock, but I did put the stock bars back up to the bike after the install.  The width is very close to stock.  Technically, the bars a maybe 1/2" wider on each side, but I noticed the factory grips hung over the ends of the stock bars by at least that much.  Then again... It's not really an applese-to-apples comparison, given the sweep, rise, etc. are drastically different.  

I have a few more mods in mind and then some day I'll clean her up and take her out for a nice photo shoot with the dSLR, but until then here's some crappy phone pics; please excuse the bugs, she needs a bath:

hTZuGRal.jpg

6MZgNjnl.jpg

iEZssqxl.jpg

Z3OPmDGl.jpg

That's exactly the bar and the look that I want for my bike. Can you post a link to the rearsets that you ordered to replace the stock set on the bike? 

Archived