The MT-07 Forum

Great shifting hard

menooam

A little background as to why it's hard now. My friends dad tried to ride it and got all the way to sixth gear in a parking lot, he had very low speed and I have no idea how he got it into 6th and as he tried to bring it down he did so without a clutch. Now when I shift it sometimes goes into gear hard as if I didn't use the clutch. Any suggestions?

bmwpowere36m3

I guess its possibly a shift fork got bent or shift drum/component was damaged…. it wasn't hard to get into gear before? Only hard into certain gears? Are YOU using the clutch?

@bmwpowere36m3 lol yes I am. Before no but now it is but only sometimes it doesn't do it everytime.

• Global Moderator

Take it to the dealer and say its shifting funny

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Rule No. 1:

DO NOT let others ride your bike unless you don't mind straining the relationship.

Hopefully, it's just the placebo effect at work here since you know your friend's dad was shifting like a klutz.
Personally, I'd be surprised if doing that caused any kind of damage on a trip across a parking lot, unless he dropped the bike on the shift lever and put some real force into it.

Bent shift forks are actually the result of abusive shifting, not the cause.
If you were to make a habit of not making positive gear shifts and habitually missed shifts and/or poor shifts that had the bike slipping back out of gear, then you will, over time, round-off the square corners of the gear dogs and matching slots cut into the sides of the gears.
When that happens, the natural tendency for the gears to stay locked together while under power is no more, and getting on the throttle forces the gears apart, pushing on the shift forks and forcing the shift cam to rotate (which is trying to be held from rotating by the shift cam stopper lever).

A classic example of this is the sport bike or motocross bike that has been whooped-on and now pops out of gear when you get on it.

@yzetc thanks helped alot. I actually don't let anyone ride my bike I was letting it warm up and he just got on scary few seconds lol

Archived