Sign in to follow this  
0skyking0

Nervous About My First Ride?

0skyking0
Hey everyone! I'm new to the site but don't actually have my FZ-07 yet. My salesgirl just called and said it should be here by the end of the month! I'm really excited but, unfortunately, now that I've ordered it I'm starting to freak out a bit. I'm upgrading from my first and only bike which was a Ninja 250 that I had for 4 years and put 9,000 miles on. When I first purchased this bike I was able to teach myself how to ride by just riding circles around my neighborhood hundreds of times until I was confident. The last several years my Ninja 250 felt like a complete toy, something I could throw around and never really get into trouble. Now that I'm getting the FZ-07, a bike with quite a bit more power than the little Ninja, I'm worried I'm going to wheelie and kill myself just driving it home from the dealer. I'm also worried I'm going go pick the bike up from the dealer and pop the clutch or something in front of everyone since I've never been on another bike before. So my question is, given my experience of only ever riding the Ninja 250, is the FZ-07 going to take some time to be able to handle? Or am I just being ridiculous and having nervous jitters? I'm also wondering if I'll be able to flat-foot the FZ-07. I'm 5'7 and 135lbs. Anyway, thanks guys for this painfully noobish question!

prediddy
Prior to purchasing my FZ, the only other bike I rode was a little Buell during my license course/test in a parking lot (over a year before getting my bike). And 15 mins on a dirt bike a few years before that. I'd say with 9,000 mi under your belt you will be fine.

FZ-07 is not some un-tamable beast, in fact quite the opposite.

But i was nervous too, just like with every other new car i had bought before, just take it easy and focus on the basics when taking it home on the first ride.

so1102
Hey everyone! I'm new to the site but don't actually have my FZ-07 yet.  
...Or am I just being ridiculous and having nervous jitters?

This. :) (You're over thinking things, but it is normal -- I tend to do the same)

I'm also wondering if I'll be able to flat-foot the FZ-07. I'm 5'7 and 135lbs. Anyway, thanks guys for this painfully noobish question!

It's more of a factor of your inseam length than your height and weight. I am 5'10" and I cannot flat foot it, but that is because I have a 30" inseam, and the way I sit on the bike the pegs get in the way from me putting my legs straight down. Flat-footing a bike is overrated, though, and I wouldn't worry about it. I'm usually flat on my left foot at lights anyway, or have the balls of both feet down. The bike is light and easy to balance regardless -- all you really need is a toe.

Don't worry about asking "noobish questions" either -- we are all friendly here and happy to help where we can.

BTW, welcome to the forums!

bmwpowere36m3
If you've ridden any motorcycle for 4 years and 9k miles... you'll be fine. Its really an "easy" bike to ride, even for someone who might have never really ridden before. It does have a bit of torque down low in the RPM range, but you still have to twist the throttle a decent amount to get it going. You'll be fine.
Seat height, Hmm.... I'm 5' 10", ~29-30" inseam and ~190 lbs geared up and I can flat foot the FZ (shock is set as I bought it, "3").

howworkclutch
Hey everyone! I'm new to the site but don't actually have my FZ-07 yet. My salesgirl just called and said it should be here by the end of the month! I'm really excited but, unfortunately, now that I've ordered it I'm starting to freak out a bit. I'm upgrading from my first and only bike which was a Ninja 250 that I had for 4 years and put 9,000 miles on. When I first purchased this bike I was able to teach myself how to ride by just riding circles around my neighborhood hundreds of times until I was confident. The last several years my Ninja 250 felt like a complete toy, something I could throw around and never really get into trouble. Now that I'm getting the FZ-07, a bike with quite a bit more power than the little Ninja, I'm worried I'm going to wheelie and kill myself just driving it home from the dealer. I'm also worried I'm going go pick the bike up from the dealer and pop the clutch or something in front of everyone since I've never been on another bike before. So my question is, given my experience of only ever riding the Ninja 250, is the FZ-07 going to take some time to be able to handle? Or am I just being ridiculous and having nervous jitters? I'm also wondering if I'll be able to flat-foot the FZ-07. I'm 5'7 and 135lbs. Anyway, thanks guys for this painfully noobish question!
You're going to be fine.  Really.  The way the throttle functions on the fz07 is perfect. You'll find it a joy to ride, and only gets crazy if you really really twist the throttle. 
The brakes are a little lively, but they also have a really good feel and require you to really want to make them dangerous.

You bought the right bike. You can stop worrying right now. You'll be very happy with your new fz.

yamahaha
It is quite normal to be nervous mounting a new and strange motorcycle. Don't freak yourself out. Its all about clutch control. You will be fine. I see posts here from people who are buying this bike and it is their first.

hippiebikerchick
Welcome OskykingO! You have plenty of experience, just take it easy until you get familiar with the way this bike handles. You're going to LOVE it!

Since it sounds like you taught yourself to ride it isn't too late to take the safety course. They will teach you things you may not be aware of and it will help with your confidence.
  • Like 2

snowdriftless
Welcome to the forum @0skyking0! I was nervous also when I first bought the FZ-07 but it had been my first motorcycle ever. With your experience you should be able to handle it just fine. If you are REALLY nervous you can do what I did and limit the power with a restrictor kit. They work by limiting how far you can open the throttle. There is a youtube video of what one looks like on an Australian LAMS FZ-07
 (Watch around the 7:00 mark). They have to be imported from the UK but shipping shouldn't take more than a week and they take 15 min. to install. I bought one off Ebay and they have two models to choose from: 
35 kW kit (46 hp)
25 kW kit (33 hp)

I have the 35 kW kit installed and the FZ-07 will only wheelie if I peg the throttle in 1st gear from a full stop. You can PM me if you have any questions.

I can't assist you with your question about flat footing as I have a 32" inseam, but the pegs can get in the way of foot placement a bit.

The FZ-07 is the correct choice.

aeisan
Hey everyone! I'm new to the site but don't actually have my FZ-07 yet.  
...Or am I just being ridiculous and having nervous jitters?

This. :) (You're over thinking things, but it is normal -- I tend to do the same) 

I'm also wondering if I'll be able to flat-foot the FZ-07. I'm 5'7 and 135lbs. Anyway, thanks guys for this painfully noobish question!
It's more of a factor of your inseam length than your height and weight. I am 5'10" and I cannot flat foot it, but that is because I have a 30" inseam, and the way I sit on the bike the pegs get in the way from me putting my legs straight down. Flat-footing a bike is overrated, though, and I wouldn't worry about it. I'm usually flat on my left foot at lights anyway, or have the balls of both feet down. The bike is light and easy to balance regardless -- all you really need is a toe. 
Don't worry about asking "noobish questions" either -- we are all friendly here and happy to help where we can.

BTW, welcome to the forums!
This.  I'm 5'8" and can't flat-foot it entirely either.  I can if I really try, but it's not natural.  That said, like so1102 mentioned, it's really not a big deal.  I typically stop with just 1 foot down anyway.   
Also like everyone else said... You're going to be fine.  What year is your 250?  I'm not sure if any of the newer ones have FI or not, but I went from a carburated 250 to a FI GSX-R600 back in the day and that only thing I would say even crossed my mind that was different about them was that the throttle on the FI bikes are a little more touchy.  Not so much I really had to even think much about it, but just putting that out there.  

snowdriftless
I also second what @hippiebikerchick said. Take a MSF course if you have not already done so...

....and see if you can read a copy of this book: "Proficient Motorcycling" By: David L. Hough. You might be able to find it at your local library.

... and you should watch this video.
  • Like 1

0skyking0
Wow, thanks everyone for the great responses. I figured I was just being a little nervous and will be fine but it makes me feel better hearing all of your thoughts on the matter. I know I should have taken the MSF course and always meant to, but it was just one of those things I never got around to doing. I'm sure it would still be very beneficial for me even after 4 years. I'll look into one around here this summer. @aeisan it was a 2009 Ninja 250. It was the newer style but was still carbureted so that will definitely be a change.

The lightness of the FZ-07 was definitely a selling point for me. From what I've seen, it doesn't seem all that much heavier than my old bike so getting both feet down probably isn't much of an issue.

Thanks everyone! Fell in love with the looks of the FZ-07 nearly a year ago and am really excited to finally get my own!
  • Like 1

aeisan
Cool man. I think it was the Ninja 300's that added FI at some point. Again, it will feel different at first but you get used to it real quick.

Yeah the weight on the FZ-07 is real light. Should help make the transition real easy for you.

Good luck and happy riding!

jetgirl
I rode an 04 Ninja 250 for 5 years and 29,000 miles. Then I was without a bike for 5 years. Got an 01 Ninja 250 last year and rode 8000 miles. To me the FZ 07 feels similar but better. Be easy with the clutch when you start off from a stop until you get used to it. It shouldn't take long. The bike feels easy and natural just like the 250 did. Also I'm 5'5 and I can almost flat foot it. I can get my left foot flat at stops. You can always buy boots with a little more lift to them if you need to. I think you'll be fine!

0skyking0
Thanks @jetgirl that's a helpful perspective. One reason I chose the FZ-07 was because it was a step up but something I can learn to control and be comfortable on. I can't wait to give it a try!

yamahappy74
This is my 5th bike and the first thing I noticed is that when I left the dealer, I was turning out of the parking lot and I was surprised at how different it felt than anything else. It's very light in the front, so steering requires almost no effort at all, which kind of makes it feel like it dives in too easy until you get used to it. So just be careful for the first few minutes until you get a feel for it. Other than that, though, it's an extremely easy bike to ride. It's not nearly as heavy as I would expect from a 700 (my last 3 bikes were 600s and all were heavier). Feels a lot like a bike dirt bike or supermoto. I'm really enjoying it, myself. You'll be fine. Don't be nervous. With 9K miles under your belt, you're more than prepared.