The MT-07 Forum

Hello from CT

bmwpowere36m3

bmwpowere36m3

Hey guys/gals,

Picked up the FZ today and so far put about 90 miles on it. Dealer told me to take it easy with the engine and tires. Broke it in hard, mototune style, for the first 90 miles.... haha (rofl) Have to work on those 3/4 inch chicken strips :P

I stuck a neodymium magnet to the oil drain bolt before driving off... be interesting to see what's attached.  Plan on changing the oil/filter tmrw and opening up the oil filter.

59703A02-8F61-4279-893B-3639A8A52F1F.jpg

B60E43F5-BEBE-40DF-9020-7C7155C5F99D.jpg

CA535F39-2479-4E11-AFE0-5DB4E4BE64C0.jpg

bmwpowere36m3
The fun begins. :) 
Tell us your impressions on the bike after some miles, too.
Yes it does :D
So far so good... a couple things I've noticed already:
[ul type=circle][*]Lots of engine braking at lower speeds (sub 45 MPH), but at higher-speeds much less (even at higher RPM).[*]Clutch is "butta" compared to my older bikes[*]Throttle is a little "snatchy" when you first crack it open and when you open/close it successively.[*]Lots of torque at lower RPM and around town it really pulls.  Higher up in RPM the power dies off some.[*]No stalling as of 120 miles so far.[*]Exhaust is very quiet, all engine and you can definitely hear the valves[*]Brakes are good, but I a little "dead" at first (I expected better)[*]Transmission shifting is pretty stiff (more so downshifting) and overall a little clunky.  It take a lot more finesse than my belt drive bike.[*]Forks are soft and the front dives too much under heavier braking[*]Shock is much stiffer than the forks, I think its set to "3".  I think it needs less HS damping and more rebound.  Took a spin with the GF and the rear left better with the additional weight.[*]There is a high pitched ticking when accelerating/cruising (sounds like the injectors) and a whirring when decelerating.  First FI bike, so I can't tell if its the fuel pump and/or injectors.[*]Dash is a little low, I have to glance down with my eyes a bit (more than my other street bike, but not as much as my DRZ)[*]I feel the handlebars have a little too much sweep and could be a little lower/forward.[*]No issue with turn signals and/or cancel, if anything the horn is more difficult to hit.[*]The dealer shined up the bike and I immediately noticed how slippery the seat and tank was.  I don't think they applied it to the seat, but the fuel tank/paintwork, yes.  The fuel tank could use some gripper panels for your thighs/knees.[*]Storage compartment is a joke[*]Passenger seat is "loose" (unless you pack the storage compartment full)[/ul]
I think that about covers it for now ;p and I'm sure certain things will change as they further break-in.

• Premium Member

Nice! Welcome :) Don't forget to drop a gray pin on the member map where you live, and also represent our excellent choice in colors here: http://fz07.org/thread/332/fastest-color

[EDIT:  duh, didn't realize who I was replying to and that you have been here for awhile.  :)  Anyway, cool color choice, bro! ]

• Premium Member

Yes it does :D So far so good... a couple things I've noticed already:
[ul type=circle][*][span style=background-color:transparent]Transmission shifting is pretty stiff (more so downshifting) and overall a little clunky.  It take a lot more finesse than my belt drive bike.
[span style=background-color:transparent]Forks are soft and the front dives too much under heavier braking[/span]
[/span][*]Shock is much stiffer than the forks, I think its set to "3".  I think it needs less HS damping and more rebound.  Took a spin with the GF and the rear left better with the additional weight.[*][span style=background-color:transparent]I feel the handlebars have a little too much sweep and could be a little lower/forward.[/span]
[*][span style=background-color:transparent]The dealer shined up the bike and I immediately noticed how slippery the seat and tank was.  I don't think they applied it to the seat, but the fuel tank/paintwork, yes.  The fuel tank could use some gripper panels for your thighs/knees.[/span]
[*]Storage compartment is a joke[*]Passenger seat is "loose" (unless you pack the storage compartment full)[/ul]
I think that about covers it for now ;p and I'm sure certain things will change as they further break-in.

Shifting will be significantly less clunky after that oil change -- that is what I noticed on mine, anyway. 
If you are > 140-150lbs, you'll definitely notice the soft suspension -- even if you crank up the preload in the rear

Regarding the handlebars, well -- the bike was designed to have more of an upright/standard riding position.

Yes, I found tank grips to be a nice improvement.  I went with TechSpec D3 pads myself.

Storage compartment?  LOL you mean that thing I put my toolbag and registration in?  Yeah, you're not gonna fit your lunch in there unless you are a supermodel.

The pillion seat rattles around a little, but you can correct that by taking those nylon straps and folding them back under, reducing the amount of space between the seat pan and the edge of those two metal clips in the front.

bmwpowere36m3

Yes it does :D So far so good... a couple things I've noticed already:
[ul type=circle][*][span style=background-color:transparent]Transmission shifting is pretty stiff (more so downshifting) and overall a little clunky.  It take a lot more finesse than my belt drive bike.
[span style=background-color:transparent]Forks are soft and the front dives too much under heavier braking[/span]
[/span][*]Shock is much stiffer than the forks, I think its set to "3".  I think it needs less HS damping and more rebound.  Took a spin with the GF and the rear left better with the additional weight.[*][span style=background-color:transparent]I feel the handlebars have a little too much sweep and could be a little lower/forward.[/span]
[*][span style=background-color:transparent]The dealer shined up the bike and I immediately noticed how slippery the seat and tank was.  I don't think they applied it to the seat, but the fuel tank/paintwork, yes.  The fuel tank could use some gripper panels for your thighs/knees.[/span]
[*]Storage compartment is a joke[*]Passenger seat is "loose" (unless you pack the storage compartment full)[/ul]

Shifting will be significantly less clunky after that oil change -- that is what I noticed on mine, anyway. 
If you are > 140-150lbs, you'll definitely notice the soft suspension -- even if you crank up the preload in the rear

Regarding the handlebars, well -- the bike was designed to have more of an upright/standard riding position.

Yes, I found tank grips to be a nice improvement.  I went with TechSpec D3 pads myself.

Storage compartment?  LOL you mean that thing I put my toolbag and registration in?  Yeah, you're not gonna fit your lunch in there unless you are a supermodel.

The pillion seat rattles around a little, but you can correct that by taking those nylon straps and folding them back under, reducing the amount of space between the seat pan and the edge of those two metal clips in the front.
As far as shifting, that's how I judge when to replace my engine oil in my LTD and DRZ... i.e., when shifting gets notchy.  On the DRZ it might be 500-1500 miles (depending if I'm beating it off-road or just cruising on the street) and the LTD is more 1500-2500 miles. Soft front yes, rear feels actually harsh/stiff and its only a 1/3 of the way preloaded.  I have to do some more riding and check my sag measurements.
The sweep of the handlebars (too much)... is what really bothers me.  I wouldn't mind them being a little lower and forward as well.
Storage compartment was a joke, yeah its tiny (but I already knew that).

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

We welcome you and your new steed! The storage compartment can hold registration/insurance and included tools, pretty much all it was designed to hold.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

On my FZ-07, I wanted more aggressive front braking, too, so I changed the conservative stock front pads to EBC HH-rated ones.
Much better bite and more braking power, and this pad swap has me satisfied with the front brakes.
The front pads are the same as 1998-2003 YZF-R1s, so don't worry if you don't see a 2015 FZ-07 in the brake pad application charts.

I'd double-check tire pressure if you haven't already.

bmwpowere36m3
On my FZ-07, I wanted more aggressive front braking, too, so I changed the conservative stock front pads to EBC HH-rated ones. Much better bite and more braking power, and this pad swap has me satisfied with the front brakes.
The front pads are the same as 1998-2003 YZF-R1s, so don't worry if you don't see a 2015 FZ-07 in the brake pad application charts.

Good stuff, I check tonight after changing my oil.  32/33 psi currently.  Have you heard the, "high pitched ticking when accelerating/cruising (sounds like the injectors) and a whirring when decelerating"?  I can hear the fuel pump run for a sec or two when I first turn the key ON, but the noise while riding is much louder and more of a tick and not a hummm.

bmwpowere36m3

Changed my oil tonight, 110 or so miles since yesterday and breaking it in "hard". Oil drain bolt was pretty tight and the filter was super tight (needed a strap wrench). The oil came out pretty dark and cloudy. I refilled with Rotella T 15W-40 and a new filter.

Some bits stuck to the drain bolt (stuck a magnet to it before riding):

DSC00899.jpg

And the dark oil:

DSC00901.jpg

I'll open up the oil filter later and inspect the media when a get some free time.

bmwpowere36m3

Since the dealer did the battery cable recall… I decided to check their work. Well, sure enough they cross-threaded the allen bolts. The damage isn't horrible and the bolts hold, however I can't "easily" threaded them in my hand. I guess I'm calling the dealer tomorrow and see if they'll get me a new crossmember/support and hardware. I looked it up on RonAyers.com and its only ~$20 for the parts.

On my FZ-07, I wanted more aggressive front braking, too, so I changed the conservative stock front pads to EBC HH-rated ones. Much better bite and more braking power, and this pad swap has me satisfied with the front brakes.

Good stuff, I check tonight after changing my oil.  32/33 psi currently.  Have you heard the, "high pitched ticking when accelerating/cruising (sounds like the injectors) and a whirring when decelerating"?  I can hear the fuel pump run for a sec or two when I first turn the key ON, but the noise while riding is much louder and more of a tick and not a hummm.
I can hear noises coming from down in the engine bay while riding my FZ-07, and to me, they're all normal noises.I can hear some gear whine and some camshaft/tappet ticking, and to me, it sounds pretty good.  :) 

bmwpowere36m3
Hello fellow CT rider. If you see a grey one around it might just be me. :)

Nice! I'm surprised, because the all the CT dealers I spoke with said these things sold in a hurry. Hartford sold 25 this year... but I haven't seen a single one. I'm in Fairfield County.

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

Ok, so you were saying that your engine sounds loud, and that's not something I noticed on mine. But I was out today and I did notice that my chain makes a fair bit of noise. Maybe that's what you're hearing? My bike has less than 150 miles on it.

bmwpowere36m3

Opened up the stock filter (from the 1st oil change at 120 miles), it is well constructed and has approx. 88 in^2 of filter media. There wasn't much debris to speak of:

IMG_1316.jpg

Archived