The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 Cyclops H4 LED Bulb Replacement

fooschnickens

fooschnickens

This is probably one of the easiest and greatest bang-for-buck mods you can do both in the performance of the product itself and the huge increase in safety. If you have a bike (not just an FZ) you should really try one of these bulbs.

What's in the box: LED bulb assembly, plug-and-play sub-harness, printed instructions

Tools needed: 4mm allen, double-sided tape/velcro (optional)

Difficulty: 2/5

Purchased from: http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/3800-Lumen-H4-LED-Headlight-bulb-_p_83.html

Use coupon code: FZ-07 for a discount off the already ridiculously low $65 retail price!

Entire assembly (chapstick for size reference):

3f88570c7e9818b1e96491952d266003.jpg

Now on to the install!

First off, remove the headlight assembly. To do so, take off the two 4mm bolts on either side of the headlight assembly and the entire thing will swing down.

rG93sHr.jpg?1

You'll see a little rubber "pocket" with a bunch of wires tucked inside. This is where the blinker wires are tucked away. Open up this pocket and undo the connectors for the turn signals, then unplug the headlight and running light down below. Once you've done this you can remove the entire assembly from the bike.

yDk3Klx.jpg

Once you've done that, remove the stock bulb and throw it away. You're so over it, just like Bobby. He was a huge jerk.

XLq1Mcm.jpg

The Cyclops unit has a removable mounting base which is convenient for how some bikes (in this case, ours) hold the bulb in place in the headlight enclosure.

AUKI0W3.jpg

Pop those two pieces apart (they just rotate) and then put the base into the bulb slot and clamp it down:

CVxD5TB.jpg

Followed by the bulb and fan assembly:

8t3xjy9.jpg

At this point, you can trim your stock moisture boot or not. I cut out the center portion as it's a perfect match to the diameter of the fan housing for the LED bulb. Now it has plenty of ventilation and will keep most of the moisture out of the enclosure if you get stuck in the rain. It's a cheap part to replace (only 5 bucks) if you ever decide to go back to a standard halogen bulb.

Once you do all that, plug all your harnesses back in for your various lights, tuck them in the pocket and then mount the LED electronics thingy wherever you'd like. I stuck mine to one of the reinforcements on the inside of the housing with a small strip of velcro.

eMLO59n.jpg

There's not a bounty of free space back there, but you've got a few options you can run with. I found everything went together easiest with the little box to either side near those reinforced areas and the headlight harness going down below as there's not enough room in the rubber pocket once you go to wiggle it back in place. If it feels like it's binding up somewhere, make sure the pocket hasn't come off its little perches and that something isn't getting crimped. There is a metal collar that goes inside the rubber grommet on either side of the assembly and this can get hung up on the bracket that everything bolts onto, so be sure it's lined up properly and not getting hung up on anything. Once all the wiring is situated properly, tighten everything down and you're 95% done!

You'll want to re-aim your headlight before you go riding as the output is WAY different from a halogen bulb. There are two bolts that adjust the headlight. You can either use a phillips screwdriver or a 10mm driver. The one on the lower left controls the up/down where CCW is up and CW is down. The one on the upper right controls the left/right position where CCW is left and CW is right.

Here are two pictures after I re-aimed the bulb in a dark lot of the low beam and high beam:
Low Beam:
VlZpDXD.jpg

High Beam:

FVbAXZd.jpg

I tried running it with oncoming traffic and got flashed a couple times, so I may try aiming it a bit lower and to the right so I can try running the high beam all the time as it's pretty flippin' awesome.
A big thanks goes out to the guys at Cyclops for helping me out when I had the bad bulb. They made it right 100% and shipped me a new one free of charge. They were quick to respond to my emails and I couldn't be any happier now that I've got a properly working unit. The output is amazing and the added visibility is greatly appreciated over the puny stock bulb. For $60 you'd be silly not to get one of these and upgrade your headlight.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your absolutely right on this bulb. This is an outstanding product. I have had mine for about a month now and this is probably the best purchase I have made for my bike yet.

• Premium Member
grahamfz07

I cant wait for mine to show up! Hoping by next week

• Premium Member

I was going to hold off to upgrade the headlight but this convinced me to justgo ahead and order one. So...I did, cant wait for it to arrive.

fooschnickens

This really is one of those "no excuse" type mods unless you don't have the cash to buy it right away. Plus, you can get a discount to make it even cheaper!

• Premium Member

This mod cost less (at full price) than a tank full of gas for my Durango.

• Global Moderator

Done. Thanks for the write-up. It took a bit of force to get the base off the bulb and seeing your photos helped me know I was doing it right, otherwise it was straightforward. I did not modify my rubber boot though. Now if it would just get dark...
068a69003b9ef1304e153dd4b08ef356_zpsemujccpk.jpg

• Premium Member
grahamfz07

Mine showed up yesteday, Should have time tomorrow afternoon to throw it in and maybe go for a night ride!

captainbeard714

Got this kit coming my way right now. I'll post results later. Also, already ordered a ddm HID kit since I run those in my truck and am happy with them. But Im probably going to install the LED Cyclops kit. Maybe Ill compare the two, but Im thinking this will probably be brighter and more reliable, as the cheap HID kits often arent

• Premium Member

I used your how-to today to install my Cyclops H4 LED. Thanks fooschnickens! 

At the same time I installed some LED turn signals. I am SO happy how everything came out. It all looks badass and now my headlight is really bright!

A few notes:

I did have to cut the rubber moisture boot a little. No big deal.

I used the same location for the "LED electronics thingy" as fooschnickens.

I did have to decrease my vertical headlight adjustment screw considerably. This thing looked like a train coming!  :D

:: '15 Pearl White FZ-07 - OES Frame/Fork/Swingarm Sliders - Motodynamic LED Tail - Yoshimura Fender Eliminator - RIDEIT Levers - Yoshimura R-77 Carbon Exhaust - Seat Concepts - Evotech Radiator Guard & Pillion Kit - TechSpec Grip - Cyclops H4 LED - LED Turn Signals - Progrip 699s - R6 Throttle Tube - K&N Filters - SM M1 Handlebars - EPFA Pads - Gilles Rearsets - 2WDW ECU Flash - CRG Arrows - Forks By Matt Cartridges - K-tech Razor-R Shock - GoCruise Throttle Lock::

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

After having this installed and running it for a few weeks, I love it. Definitely an absolute must!

Question...does anybody know what led bulb to purchase to replace the little running light bulb in the headlight unit? I went to three different places, couldn't find the exact number that matches the number on the bulb, ended up picking one that seems to be correct and it doesn't work.

Anybody know where I can just order the LED replacement online?

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

@guru said it was a standard T base 10 led bulb.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member
This is for the little bulb under the main headlight, https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/wedge-bulbs/194-led-bulb-5-smd-led-wedge-base-with-socket/841/#/tab/Specifications 
I just got one and looking to install it this weekend.
I purchased 194 LED bulb from autozone and it didn't work. Although it wasn't like the one pictured.  

fooschnickens

Any 194 style bulb will work. I ordered this bulb. The cool white should match the headlight pretty well, but I grabbed an amber so it would match the other running lights. The choice is yours!

• Premium Member

Thanks, I'll have to try one of those.   Just for the record, dont buy one of these. They dont work.

I like that blue light @Goose1072. Wonder if cops would get after you for that....

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

I like that blue light @Goose1072. Wonder if cops would get after you for that....

Depending on where you live and the cop, you could get a ticket or even an impersonating a police officer charge. A cop told me he would charge people with blue lights with impersonating PO if someone moved out of their way lol

• Premium Member

Will find out tomorrow when I ride to work, but I think I'm going to order the cool white, those look good I have them in my car.

Archived