The MT-07 Forum

Rain chance

maalna2

For those of you that don't routinely ride in the rain. What % chance of rain do you take the chance and ride to work knowing you might be riding home anything from a shower to down pour?

HEY, @maalna2 I am in LaVergne, so I know how you feel. For me in Middle Tennessee, if it is above 40% I am not riding, and most times if it is even above 20% I am not riding. Twice last year it was "20%" and I got about a mile from home and got drenched

That is what I was afraid of this morning. Channel 5 said 40% at 5pm and the weather channel said 60% of afternoon storms. I did not like my chances driving through downtown in the rain during rush hour so I chose to drive the cage today.

• Global Moderator

60% for me is riding weather. 80% too, screw itake it 100%. Thats what rain gear is for. Dont see much of it down here so when it hits, it hits hard

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

That is what I was afraid of this morning. Channel 5 said 40% at 5pm and the weather channel said 60% of afternoon storms. I did not like my chances driving through downtown in the rain during rush hour so I chose to drive the cage today.
Yeah downtown can be a pain, it's also a lot harder for people to see you due to parked cars, and streets can be more slick

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

If I am going out for a ride 20% if I am just commuting to work 30% to 40%. I also look at when it's supposed to rain. If a storm is supposed to roll through while I am at work but be clear when I travel to and from work I will ride my motorcycle.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

My input likely won't help you based on the differences in where we each live, but here in Memphis we sit atop a bluff, and the Mississippi river makes our western border.  Those 2 things alone can drastically screw up any weather forecast and because of that, the forecasts are very often wrong here. Once it gets past us, it stays pretty consistent. That said, I usually feel OK with anything below 20% chance, but I also try to look at the radar to make my own assessment.

If you're trying to judge for Nashville, I'd say don't look any farther west on the radar than Memphis.  Once those fronts hit the Mississippi they seem to take a turn for the northeast.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

The other thing I would add is Wunderground is the best weather site (They "geek" weather; METAR anyone?). They can give you an hour to hour rain probability as well as show you radar of current storm systems so you can judge what time they will be rolling through and if they are dissipating or gaining in strength.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

I never look at the percentage of rain. I look at the Doppler and the predictable path that the storms are taking.

Here in Florida, the chance of rain is always almost 100% no matter the month, day or time. :P

• Premium Member

Arcus is a really good weather app for Android. I find it to be pretty accurate and easy to use.

I ride regardless, unless there's the threat of severe thunderstorms, hurricane, or flooding. The minority, I know.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

I don't ride if there is a chance of rain. Too many idiots on the road as it is, and when it rains things just get worse. I'm not worried about getting wet, though -- but when it does rain it tends to pour buckets and things flood quickly. I figure I will just ride one of the other 300 sunny days here each year. :)

I don't know if it is like this everywhere but there are times they call for 20% and it downpours all day then sometime they say 90-100% and you're lucky to see five drops of rain. I might just have to start taking my chances and also doing my own review of the radar.

• Premium Member
I don't know if it is like this everywhere but there are times they call for 20% and it downpours all day then sometime they say 90-100% and you're lucky to see five drops of rain. I might just have to start taking my chances and also doing my own review of the radar.
Yeah, and if the percentage is > 0, just take a rain suit with you in a backpack or bag -- just in case.

It depends on when the chance of rain is for me. If it will be raining on my way to work, I'd rather not ride, but if it's on my way back home from work, I'm willing to risk up to like 60% chance of rain. That being said, I do take my car to work every once in a while when it looks l like it will just be raining all day.

• Premium Member

Anything more than 5% during the times I am at work or would be riding..I say not today...

I'm from West Tennessee, half way between Memphis and Nashville. I have about a 25 mile commute each way. I watch the hourly forecasts as well and would say that 40% is my threshold.

Archived