The MT-07 Forum

DIY: Lube your Clutch Cable

hobbs

• Premium Member

Pretty simple, but pretty important. I used the lubricant and tool from Motionpro. It's around $20 for both, add it to your next Revzilla order.

Loosen the cable at the clutch. This will give enough slack to get the cable off the front lever. Put a rag beneath the cable. Lube is gonna come out.

20150515_162910.jpg

Remove the adjusting wheel near the lever.

20150515_163531.jpg

Remove the cable from the lever. Then we'll affix the cable lubing tool to the end.

20150515_163017.jpg

Hook up the can of lube and hold the end of the cable in a rag. It will get a little messy but not bad. Once lube is coming out of the other end you're good to go.

20150515_163249.jpg
20150515_162838.jpg

Wipe everything down. Insert the adjusting wheel and cable end into the lever. Affix the cable at the clutch end, and you should have smooth cables for a while longer.

I didn't do the throttle side yet, they're pretty well sealed and shouldn't be in need.

Everything went braap.

pantheraleo
Pretty simple, but pretty important. I used the lubricant and tool from Motionpro. It's around $20 for both, add it to your next Revzilla order.  
Loosen the cable at the clutch. This will give enough slack to get the cable off the front lever. Put a rag beneath the cable. Lube is gonna come out.

20150515_162910.jpg

Remove the adjusting wheel near the lever.

20150515_163531.jpg

Remove the cable from the lever. Then we'll affix the cable lubing tool to the end.

20150515_163017.jpg

Hook up the can of lube and hold the end of the cable in a rag. It will get a little messy but not bad. Once lube is coming out of the other end you're good to go.

20150515_163249.jpg
20150515_162838.jpg

Wipe everything down. Insert the adjusting wheel and cable end into the lever. Affix the cable at the clutch end, and you should have smooth cables for a while longer.

I didn't do the throttle side yet, they're pretty well sealed and shouldn't be in need.
How 'bout a link, hobbs?

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

PearlWhiteFZ

May be a ridiculous question but does WD-40 help, for the time being? I know one shouldn't be tight with maintenance.

May be a ridiculous question but does WD-40 help, for the time being? I know one shouldn't be tight with maintenance.
usually you want a dry lubricant. Using wd-40 or chain lube can attract dirt and make the problem much worse.

PearlWhiteFZ
usually you want a dry lubricant. Using wd-40 or chain lube can attract dirt and make the problem much worse.

Thanks I appreciate the response. I am a learning motorcyclist.

• Premium Member

Here's the tool.. It's meant to be used with motionpros lube. (It smells like bananas lol, and is not really sticky)

http://www.revzilla.com/product/motion-pro-cable-luber

Wd-40 probably would work but I don't think it would last long.

When moisture gets into the jacket it starts to corrode the cable. It will feel rough and sticky, and eventually you could snap a cable, leaving you stuck.

Everything went braap.

I would never usually try to direct anyone away from Revzilla. But, if you were just looking to buy the tool and the lube and nothing else at Revzilla it's going to cost you shipping. You can get both items as a kit from Amazon with free shipping:

http://smile.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-Cable-Lube-Luber/dp/B00U1LJLCG/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1432038252&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=motion+pro+cable+lube+tool

But, if you are picking up some other items from Revzilla which will put your total over $40 then by all means buy from them! Love those guys!

bmwpowere36m3

Another vote for Motion Pro cable luber tool and Champions Choice cable lube. The MP tool (w/ two thumb screws) provides a much better "seal" than previous (slightly cheaper) tools I've used that have one thumb screw.  Also a good tip, wrap any threaded adjusters on the cable with electrical tape (just during lubrication).  When you spray the lubricant, a lot of times it'll come out those adjuster (i.e., making a mess).

Archived