The MT-07 Forum

DIY: FZ-07 Spark Plugs

hobbs

This is what NGK says about anti-seize and gapping with 'their' plugs.

NGK spark plugs feature what is known as trivalent plating. This silver-or-chrome colored finish on the threads is designed to provide corrosion resistance against moisture and chemicals. The coating also acts as a release agent during spark plug removal. NGK spark plugs are installed at the factory dry, without the use of anti-seize. NGK tech support has received a number of tech calls from installers who have over-tightened spark plugs because of the use of anti-seize. Anti-seize compound can act as a lubricant altering torque values up to 20 percent, increasing the risk of spark plug thread breakage.

In the late 1980s, when fine-wire spark plugs first appeared, installers used incorrect gap tools and procedures resulting in bent or broken-off firing electrodes. As a result, many people assumed that one cannot adjust the gap on a precious metal plug. While most NGK spark plugs are pre-gapped, there are instances where the gap requires modification. NGK recommends a wire-style or feeler gage gap tool, which can adjust the gap without prying against the center electrode. NGK also recommends adjusting the gap no more than +/- 0.008” from the preset gap.

• Like 3

Beemer

Guest ChicagoAJ

What's everyone going by as far as mileage for changing plugs? US manual says 8k but the Euro manual says 12k... Can I just go to 10k and call it even, haha.

(I plan to do them around 8k-ish)

• Premium Member

I did 10k (plus or minus a few hundo) twice so far. Plugs looked worn, but still serviceable. It's completely subjective but the bike felt better as well after completing the service.

• Like 1

Everything went braap.

What's everyone going by as far as mileage for changing plugs? US manual says 8k but the Euro manual says 12k... Can I just go to 10k and call it even, haha.  

I'm going by how my bike runs. Mine are almost at 12k and still running good.

Beemer

Guest ChicagoAJ

They'd probably run fine until 30k until that one time you're on it hard and it blows a hole through your piston, lol. 

• Premium Member

Or you break off a piece of ceramic insulator in the cylinder. I'm no engine guru, but I don't think the effects would be a blasty blast to deal with.

All in all it's not bad, but I enjoy working on my bikes. 45 leisurely paced minutes the 2nd go around.

Everything went braap.

Guest ChicagoAJ
Or you break off a piece of ceramic insulator in the cylinder. I'm no engine guru, but I don't think the effects would be a blasty blast to deal with. 
All in all it's not bad, but I enjoy working on my bikes. 45 leisurely paced minutes the 2nd go around.
I'm going to attempt this without taking the tank off. I know it's been done. Probably just the right side plastic will be taken off, there's more than enough room to monkey around in there. If for some reason I just can't get them done, I'll pull the tank. Couple screws and 3 hoses shouldn't take too long. 

• Premium Member
I'm going to attempt this without taking the tank off. I know it's been done. Probably just the right side plastic will be taken off, there's more than enough room to monkey around in there. If for some reason I just can't get them done, I'll pull the tank. Couple screws and 3 hoses shouldn't take too long. 

To me personally, it was worth the extra steps to have a clear viewing and working space. But having removed the plastics and tank more than a few times, it's a pretty quick process. You have to think through it a little longer the first couple of times.

Good luck! If you have any issues (doubt you will) post 'em up here.

Everything went braap.

Hmmm, not sure I understand this comment since I've spent over 30 yrs. gapping multi electrode spark plugs, 2 and 3 prong so if you don't gap them how do you account for electrode erosion? 
If you don't now use spark plug anti-seize, once you pull the threads out of an aluminum head, you will.  A small bottle of spark plug anti-seize used sparingly, will last you a life time. Cheap insurance. 

I was referring to NGK's line of quad fire platinum plugs or e³'s diamond fire plugs technically shouldnt be gapped
all other plugs from.what ive seen should be gapped before install.

Thanks sorkyah, good to know, also Beemers NGK info was new to me and informative. 
As far as the when to change question goes, I did mine at 8k miles and they looked pretty good with center electrode a bit rounded.   I don't think the 8k mile recommendation is to far off but if I wanted to go 10k miles it wouldn't bother me.

They'd probably run fine until 30k until that one time you're on it hard and it blows a hole through your piston, lol. 
lol! That's a really cute innuendo but it wasn't necessary. I was already impressed after you told me the BikeBandit jersey had just one layer. Have a great day, buddy! 

Beemer

• 4 weeks later...

Just to be sure, in removing the tank it doesn't leak correct? Is it a pull off and hurry up and plug it before it drains all over?

Guest ChicagoAJ
Just to be sure, in removing the tank it doesn't leak correct? Is it a pull off and hurry up and plug it before it drains all over?
The breather lines shouldn't leak anything but maybe a few drops of water. The line that goes to the take itself should have a check valve or something to prevent it from just leaking all over. At most it'll leak a few little drops. Pretty sure you don't even need to disconnect the actual fuel line, you can just pivot the tank around to give you enough room to get to the plugs. @pgeldz did that, I believe. Maybe he can answer the question a bit better.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Yeah, that's what I did. I just moved the tank out of the way. If I had do do it again, I would take the tank off tho. I took it off when I had to change out my Power Commander, and it didn't leak at all.

:)

- Paulie

• Like 1

When I put a K&N air filter in I just moved my tank to the right and set it on a folding table that just happen to be the right height. No leaking, no nothing.
  • Like 1

Beemer

Yeah, that's what I did. I just moved the tank out of the way. If I had do do it again, I would take the tank off tho. I took it off when I had to change out my Power Commander, and it didn't leak at all. 
:)

- Paulie
Fantastic! Thank you for verifying. Tomorrow I will be changing them out and wanted to remove the tank to make it easier to see and maneuver. Also I'm going to pull Lexi into the house since it is going to be 95ish out and I don't need a puddle of gasoline in my basement..

When I put a K&N air filter in I just moved my tank to the right and set it on a folding table that just happen to be the right height. No leaking, no nothing.
Like a TV dinner tray?

Like a TV dinner tray?
I don't know how sturdy your TV dinner trays are but you could probably use one and if it's not quite tall enough you can always put a box on top of it.

Beemer

• 4 months later...

With all this hassle to get the plugs out why isn't anyone using Iridium plugs? good for 40,000 kilometers. Are they available for the FZ/MT 07? I used them in all my carbureted bikes to preserve the quality of my tuning over time.

rhb,go to General discussions and look under 'Spark plug options' by markster and you'll find that I'm running the iridium version of our NGK plug.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I dont know why i called the yamaha dealer and told me $32 for the plugs. Picked up my filter 2 days ago and vhecked again and metioned an lmr # at 11 bucks a piece. Makes me wonder if the manual offers 2 different plugs?

My manual doesn't offer any plug options, I know the iridium version at BMW was around $20 US each and on line a German company was selling them for $16 US each if I'm remembering correctly. These were listed for the BMW 1600cc 6 cyl. but have non-removable caps so need modifying to use in our -07, otherwise they are identical except for being iridium.

• Premium Member

20170107_191016.jpg

image uploader

20170107_223836.jpg

So i got bored and decided to work on the plugs. Took my friend and i roughly hour and half to change them and filter. 

For having 12k miles on the plugs they dont look that bad?

Center electrode looks a little rounded but not bad.

12k huh? Might just pull mine at 8k miles and regap them.

***WATCH FOR COUNTERFEIT NGK AND OTHER PLUGS***

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.