The MT-07 Forum

Helmet visor tinting/coating

fooschnickens

fooschnickens

So, before anyone suggests it, there IS NOT a different version of the visor being sold. I have a shoei gt-air which has an integrated sun visor. Shoei only sells one flavor of the sun visor so I'm stuck with what I got.

My problem is this, the sun visor works great and is perfect for me since my head shape gives me really bad headaches when I wear sunglasses and a helmet. I also don't have to worry about swapping visors between day and night.

However, I've started finding that I wished the sun visor was a bit darker tint. This is especially true for my morning commute where I'm looking directly into the sun the entire time.

Are there any companies that offer a service like this or product on the market that is a DIY solution? Either making the visor darker or adding a reflective film would do wonders.

bmwpowere36m3

Maybe try picking up some window tint from a local shop... I'm sure you can get a small piece for free. What about replacing the shield for the morning commute and throw a spare one in a backpack for the ride later.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless
This is why I went with the Bell helmet with the transitions shield that changes tint according to UV rays.
My next set of glasses will be transitions lenses. The new ones will still change when behind a pane of glass. I will just go to a clear shield then (Even though it doesn't look as cool).

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

This is probably a cheesy solution but you could try it - put a line of black electrical tape across the inside of your visor. Then a slight tip of the head will put the shade where you need it.

Illegitimi non carborundum

fooschnickens
This is why I went with the Bell helmet with the transitions shield that changes tint according to UV rays.
My next set of glasses will be transitions lenses. The new ones will still change when behind a pane of glass. I will just go to a clear shield then (Even though it doesn't look as cool).
Have they gotten any better with the transition time? I had a pair a while back and it would take the better part of 30 minutes to change sometimes after coming in from outside. :\\ 

This is probably a cheesy solution but you could try it - put a line of black electrical tape across the inside of your visor. Then a slight tip of the head will put the shade where you need it.
I actually did that on my old helmet, helped out a bunch. The problem I face now is that I'm on the road right as the sun is coming up over the horizon, so I'd have to be staring down at the road to make use of it haha. I changed my schedule slightly so that I go in a bit earlier, I didn't anticipate it would have such a huge effect on the sun's placement in the morning >.< 

I found these to be really cool, but way too expensive and not nearly dark enough.

I love my transitional visor on my bell helmet. That is the only reason I use it more than my shoei helmet. Lol

• Global Moderator

I know my comment is not helpful to the op, but I would not get a helmet without a transitions visor again. It is worth the money.

fooschnickens
I know my comment is not helpful to the op, but I would not get a helmet without a transitions visor again. It is worth the money.
I'd have to see one in person, first. My glasses never seemed to get dark enough outside when I had transitions. I'll probably try some mirror film from the craft store or steal a scrap from my audio buddy.  

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

@fooschnickens, I don't know if the transition time is any faster. I didn't seem to mind the time it took but it has been at least 2 years since I had em.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

fooschnickens

Yeah I'm in the same boat. My last pair were several years old, so they may have gotten better since then.

• Global Moderator

All I know is that with my ttransitions visor I am never squinting and it never seems too dark. Perhaps my old eyes are not as sensitive but I have been very happy with it.

• Global Moderator

I have the hjc cl17 with a mirror shield, seems fine during the day, at night i toss in an amber pinlock and it works extremely well
Just need some way to keep the mirror finish on the visor. Any suggestions?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

fooschnickens

Most companies say to use warm water only or super mild soap and a soft cloth for mirrored visors.

• Global Moderator
Most companies say to use warm water only or super mild soap and a soft cloth for mirrored visors.
A microfiber cloth with water still scratches the finish off.

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

You know, reading this post made me realize that I never looked into getting an iridium coated visor for my Shark Avenger Speed R. Now that I'm looking, there are almost zero options for that. Mirrored silver is it. Well that sucks. I should've stuck with Shoei.

fooschnickens
May as well not wash it, then. 

bmwpowere36m3

My shoei iridium visor is doing okay after two years... cleaning with soap and water (use my fingers), blow dry and finish with sprayway on MF towel.

Most of the damage on the visor is from road debris, bugs and bug guts left on for too long.

• Global Moderator
My shoei iridium visor is doing okay after two years... cleaning with soap and water (use my fingers), blow dry and finish with sprayway on MF towel.

Most of the damage on the visor is from road debris, bugs and bug guts left on for too long.
Maybe ill try this. You did mean soray wax right?

Archived