The MT-07 Forum

Clarify Lane Splitting For Me

suspiciouspackage

suspiciouspackage

I split lanes and filter a lot over in San Diego and the one question I've always had is this. I'll give a situation. Two lanes for turning left only, can I split to the front of that?

• Premium Member

Not sure (I don't live in CA), but a cursory glance of this doesn't seem to say anything against it per se.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

My official opinion is if you feel it is safe, go for it!

Illegitimi non carborundum

California blows in so many ways. Lane splitting is one of the bright spots. If you don't ride like a DB, you are generally GTG. In the situation the OP describes, I think you are fine.

Lane splitting is allowed simply because there's nothing that says you can't. General common sense rule is don't be a jerk about it, do it at a safe speed, don't bring attention to yourself. turning lanes could be tricky if the car in the front is a jerk and doesn't give u room.

• 2 weeks later...

I second what cndnmax said, there is no law for or against it. From what I hear, a cop can get you if you cross lines while splitting (I.e. changing lanes) without signaling.

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

• Premium Member

I think everyone has pretty much stated it's all good if you feel it's good.

And yes - a cop can get you... it all depends on how they interpret the law.
I should know, I got one going around a car in the carpool lane. "Crossed the double yellow" was what he wrote me down for.

BTW - it's the end of the month, I've had three people I know already get tickets on their bikes this week. WATCH OUT!
The reason why I say this is because the cop just gave me the ticket to fill his quota. He told me he wasn't going to contest if I fought the ticket.
He didn't show to court, but after three court showings, and missing three days of work to deal with it, it wasn't a fun experience.

And if you have any other questions, let me know. I do this on the daily.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member
fz07fanboy

I do this on a daily as well. Yesterday I split a line between a CHP and this morning an LA COUNTY Sheriff. Just depends how you do it. Don't speed in between and you should be ok.

• Premium Member
ch3rryghost

What about my situation that I run into occasionally: GOOGLE MAPS REFERENCE 

I'm riding towards the light (with the golf course to my right) and when it turns into two lanes I need to be in the left lane. At certain times, the line REALLY backs up to where I'm still on the hill before the big bend.

Would you:
1. Ride on the shoulder to the right of the cars and then cut over to the left lane
2. Ride along the yellow until it splits and just get in the left lane
3. Wait with the cars

I've only done 1 & 3 it really depends on my mood and also how backed up the line is but wanted to know what other more experienced riders would do in this case. 

• Premium Member

@ch3rryghost - Never ride along the yellow. Always pass to the right. It's just too risky with upcoming traffic. This also applies to the carpool lane and the center divider.

As for riding on the shoulder, I see many riders do it. If a cop sees you doing it, you'll be seeing a ticket coming your way.

I tend to wait with cars when I'm in a one lane situation. But once you get to the lane split, you can straddle the line for the left turn if you so desire. Just use discretion to ensure you have space.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

I dare not try lane splitting. Even when I have a whole lane to myself these a-holes down here just bust into my lane like I'm a ghost when I'm right beside them. Can't live with'em, can't shoot'em!

Beemer

MotoFuzzle

OP: Any time I split to the front of a red light, I establish a lane. I make it absolutely obvious that I'm in one lane or the other before the light turns green so that there is not gambling with whether or not somebody tries to pass you in the turn. If the light turns green before I get there, get into a lane well before the turn starts. Any time I'm splitting lanes, I make it a point not to slow the other drivers down, so when the light turns green, I'm ready to go. Nothing will piss off somebody waiting at a light more than somebody "cutting" in front of them and holding them back.

ch3rryghost: I feel like it's unclear about when there is one lane.. In your scenario, if it is safe, I'll ride on the right side, but not on the shoulder; I stay within the line. I see people get pulled over all the time for riding on the shoulder. If I can't fit around a car on that side, I wait patiently in hopes that they'll move over a tiny bit. When it is a single lane in one direction, like a freeway onramp, that is backed up, I actually take the left side, knowing there is no on-coming traffic. It makes it easier to plan myself in a lane before the merge, or to merge a bit early and move toward the [HASH]1 line to split between [HASH]1 & 2.

Can we organize this please? God it would be glorious. The included video is from France when politicians started talking about citing people for lane splitting.
[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTi5PyWeraA]

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Just wanted to share an experience i had today riding home from work. I was riding through Hollywood on the HWY 101. Video using my SENA 10C

travisaurusrex
Just wanted to share an experience i had today. . .
I've had similar experiences further North on the 99 (also California). 

Just wanted to share an experience i had today. . .
I've had similar experiences further North on the 99 (also California). 

Did I miss something in the video?? Lol

Archived