Sign in to follow this  
garlic

Dented Rim

garlic
Just realized I dented the rear rim. It has a dent on one side. Air pressure is perfect and there are no wobbles at high speeds. I will need to post a pic. I understand that it's best to replace the rim. Since the bike only has 2,000 miles on it I might want to try to get a little more mileage on it first assuming it's safe. I'll get a reputable dealer to take a look as well.

Anyone else have this happen yet? Do you agree that if there are no wobbles and the pressure is good I am safe to ride?

I didn't realize it was dented until I cleaned it over the weekend. I remember hitting a big hole but nothing crazy.

Thanks
Matt

Cruizin
No loss of pressure is a very good sign. I dent the living hell out of my dirtbikes wheels and seriously rip with em still dented. Heck, I have even beat some back before with a hammer and wood.

Im no expert, but if you are keeping constant pressure you should be ok.
  • Like 1

garlic
Thanks. I would feel more justified getting at least one more dent in the rim before buying a new one.

cndnmax
Pictures? My gs500f had a couple dents in it thanks to a train track. Never had a single issue with it loosing air or being unbalanced. Only once did cycle gear make a big deal about it and wouldn't change the tire. Brought it to a small local shop that was more than happy to do it and said if it holds air your fine.
  • Like 1

bmwpowere36m3
No loss of pressure is a very good sign. I dent the living hell out of my dirtbikes wheels and seriously rip with em still dented. Heck, I have even beat some back before with a hammer and wood.  
Im no expert, but if you are keeping constant pressure you should be ok.

+1

If it's holding pressure that's a good sign... If it were me, I'd break out my dial indicator to make sure the runout is still good (lateral and radial). From there it's a judgement call...
  • Like 1

adv42
There are wheel shops that can repair dented rims. A friend of mine just had the rim on his BMW repaired for $150.
A new one was $1200. His also held air, but he goes long distance on occasion and didn't want to take the risk.

howlinhoss
I have a dent in my front rim too. Like you, it is still holding air though. Kinda pissed about it since i actively avoid pot holes and go easy over bumps. I wonder if warranty would cover it /pray.

cassecou
I have even beat some back before with a hammer and wood.  

It seams that you can keep on driving, but next time you replace your tire, have the dent hammered back into shape. Its a very common situation, nothing to worry about.