The MT-07 Forum

Red or grey? That is the question.

awoods177

What is this blasphemy of one trying to avoid the almighty Blurple Frame and wheels!?!!?  ??? 
No, but in all seriousness, I really like the all black look as well. Like @pgeldz stated, very Stealth Fighter-like. If you added red pin-stripes down the seems of the plastics you could make it look like an SR-71 Blackbird. It actually already looks that way with the way the red plastic is layered underneath. 

9gSLxhEl.jpg
I love this idea. Have to get it custom done though. Might have a buddy who can help... 
We'll see! In any case I do think I am going to swap them for now, and see how I like it.

Thanks for the discussion, good stuff!
I'm glad my love of secret military planes have given someone some inspiration to do something awesome to their bike!  :D You can call it the FZ-71 Torquebird. Lol

• Global Moderator
I love this idea. Have to get it custom done though. Might have a buddy who can help... 
We'll see! In any case I do think I am going to swap them for now, and see how I like it.

Thanks for the discussion, good stuff!
I'm glad my love of secret military planes have given someone some inspiration to do something awesome to their bike!  :D You can call it the FZ-71 Torquebird. Lol
Maybe get the rear fenders repainted too and have  pinstripe on the fz71 moniker, maybe in red, with a torquebird decal somewhere along the tank panels?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

johnnybeagle

Totally off topic but I wish I got the grey bike with the blue frame and wheels and put white panels on it now thanks to this thread. Had no idea the color panels were easy to order and swap

Totally off topic but I wish I got the grey bike with the blue frame and wheels and put white panels on it now thanks to this thread. Had no idea the color panels were easy to order and swap

That'd be an interesting color combo! But yeah, they are easy to swap. Did it yesterday evening. Here are the results...

cf737b9c4bd1f8aab318e187cd488aa6.jpg

a1e90b76ad1b15fe0c59c2894ff70f8e.jpg

f31d90aad2aefbba88fc067a48795a59.jpg

Maybe get the rear fenders repainted too and have  pinstripe on the fz71 moniker, maybe in red, with a torquebird decal somewhere along the tank panels?

So, what is a torquebird anyways? I'm not familiar with the term.

If you sell the red panels i am much interested in them!

I'm not 100% sure I want to give them up quite yet, but if I do are you still interested? I've got them all packaged nicely for storage or shipping. They've seen like ~50 miles on the road so they're in great condition - same as I got them new from the dealer :)

4c7164d8ea02b6d12be1fb0a601bf0d7.jpg

• Global Moderator

Blackbird was the skunkworks nickname for the rs-71 project because of its stealth paint. It was also adopted by the military in its service role.

BLACKBIRD mashed with the torquey ass motor in our FZs = Torquebird. Since you're stealthing out the body with the black frame grey panels and whatnot.

Blackbird was the skunkworks nickname for the rs-71 project because of its stealth paint. It was also adopted by the military in its service role.

BLACKBIRD mashed with the torquey ass motor in our FZs = Torquebird. Since you're stealthing out the body with the black frame grey panels and whatnot

Gotcha, I thought that might be the case, but you said "torquebird decal" like it was a for realsy thing haha. So I guess a better question is, what does a torquebird decal look like?!

• Global Moderator

BLACKBIRD mashed with the torquey ass motor in our FZs = Torquebird. Since you're stealthing out the body with the black frame grey panels and whatnot

Gotcha, I thought that might be the case, but you said "torquebird decal" like it was a for realsy thing haha. So I guess a better question is, what does a torquebird decal look like?!
I was picturing something along the lines of a stylized "Torquebird" with a raven's head or something? Idk my artistry isnt anywhere near even 7 over par.

• Premium Member

Get someone around here to photoshop one and there are a zillion online vinyl places that will make it reality!

Why can't left turners see us?

It is a name I made up based on the secret military plane the SR-71 Blackbird, see below that he is modeling his color scheme after. (the black with red pin striping) The plane is called the Blackbird, and since he is modeling his bike after the plane, our bikes are torque monsters, and it is a clever sound-a-like thing, I made up the term "Torquebird." Haha 9gSLxhEl.jpg

That look very nice Sir! Very mean looking! 
:)

- Paulie

Thanks! I think it's pretty neat...I might photoshop in some pinstripes to see how that would look too

• 5 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
belleau1977

[attachment id=506" thumbnail="1][attachment id=504" thumbnail="1][attachment id=503" thumbnail="1][attachment id=505" thumbnail="1]

Sorry its a Z1000 but I just found this just now and thought of this thread on the SR71 Blackbird bike design. I think this is dead on what you are thinking of. I think it looks awesome but I still don't know about the stripes?

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170935

[attachment id=506" thumbnail="1][attachment thumbnail=1" id="504][attachment id=503" thumbnail="1][attachment thumbnail=1" id="505] 
Sorry its a Z1000 but I just found this just now and thought of this thread on the SR71 Blackbird bike design. I think this is dead on what you are thinking of. I think it looks awesome but I still don't know about the stripes?

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170935

The stripes on the to of the gas tank look bent to me. I don't know if it's just the camera, or if they put them on wrong, but something isn't right there. Haha Also, the stripes add too much red to the bike. If you were going the Blackbird route, you would just want tiny red pin stripes like he has on the side of the tank. I still think that bike looks pretty cool though.

Archived