The MT-07 Forum

Welcome to 2 Wheel Dynoworks!

Cruizin

• Premium Member
No noticeable increase with the K&N for our bikes so save your money on that. I have the Akra Carbon, baffle out and love the tune he did. No complaints at all.
The K&N allows a bit more airflow vs the stock filter allowing the tune to be richened up a bit therefore increasing power... even if only slightly DNA air filter w/intake lid adds a velocity stack type function to the filter and with a higher flow than fhe K&N, allows an even richer/more powerful tune
See now I was under the impression that there is little noticeable difference between the stock filter construction and the k&n, and that the only reason the 'lid' is needed with the other one is because unlike the stocker it doesnt have a screw holding it in place once the snorkel and snorkel cover are removed

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The K&N allows a bit more airflow vs the stock filter allowing the tune to be richened up a bit therefore increasing power... even if only slightly DNA air filter w/intake lid adds a velocity stack type function to the filter and with a higher flow than fhe K&N, allows an even richer/more powerful tune
See now I was under the impression that there is little noticeable difference between the stock filter construction and the k&n, and that the only reason the 'lid' is needed with the other one is because unlike the stocker it doesnt have a screw holding it in place once the snorkel and snorkel cover are removed

I asked Nels the same thing the first time I brought my bike in. He said there was no difference. All he did was remove the rubber snorkel. Nothing else was done with the intake system. He said it would be a waste of my money to get the K&N filter as they did not see any gains with the K&N over the stock filter with the snorkel removed.

• Premium Member
I asked Nels the same thing the first time I brought my bike in. He said there was no difference. All he did was remove the rubber snorkel. Nothing else was done with the intake system. He said it would be a waste of my money to get the K&N filter as they did not see any gains with the K&N over the stock filter with the snorkel removed.
Got the same info from Dillon at Dobeck when I bought my EJK and exhaust

~ so1102, yesterday at 7:34am

~ dpc46, 8 hours ago
Got the same info from Dillon at Dobeck when I bought my EJK and exhaust

If using a K&N filter over the life time of your bike saves you money the statement that it would be a waste of money to get the K&N filter just isn't true and they are an improvement over stock air filters. They do breath better.

Beemer

The thing is though, the engineers designed the bike to work with the filter that is alreay in the bike, in THEORY, from and engineering standpoint the bike should preform the best the way it was designed to with the stock filter. And if you are not gaining any power from it or no noticeable differences, what's the point? You aren't harming your bike using the cheaper stock one. It was built to be able to use that one specifically anyways. You're just saving money.

2wheeldynoworks
If using a K&N filter over the life time of your bike saves you money the statement that it would be a waste of money to get the K&N filter just isn't true and they are an improvement over stock air filters. They do breath better.

In some applications yes, but on this bike, it's within a quarter hp. Generally speaking, the good ol butt dyno requires about a 10% change in overall hp to really notice while riding, depending on how sensitive it is. If you're looking for performance gains, it is a waste of money. If you're talking maintenance, then yes, being able to clean and reuse it for far longer than stock is a benefit. 

The thing is though, the engineers designed the bike to work with the filter that is already in the bike, in THEORY, from and engineering standpoint the bike should preform the best the way it was designed to with the stock filter. And if you are not gaining any power from it or no noticeable differences, what's the point? You aren't harming your bike using the cheaper stock one. It was built to be able to use that one specifically anyways. You're just saving money.
Stock air filters work really well on these bikes, some other bikes get better gains from aftermarket air filters but this isn't one of them. 

Thank you, yes, As mentioned previously I'm talking about maintenance, not h.p. I kinda felt like K&N was getting a bad rap here by only talking about it's ability to create more h.p. when they aren't about creating more h.p. K&N doesn't even claim that they will give your bike more and I 'only' felt a slight performance increase with the ol' butt dyno with the K&N when I un-snorkeled it. Allan, it's K&N engineers that went a step further to provide a better air filter than the stock one by using cotton instead of paper. That's about the biggest (not the only) difference between the OEM filter and K&N's. Before you say they're a waste of money please read: www.knfilters.com/faq.htm

Beemer

I would just like to say I never said they were a waste of money, I just said you'd be saving money using the stock ones because there is no harm in using them. The bike won't kill over and die because you chose to use the stock air filter. I personally love K&N's stuff. I have one of their oil filters on my bike right now, because i like the nut on the front that allows it to be removed more easily. I just don't see the need to personally change the air filter. But that's just me.

• 3 weeks later...
2wheeldynoworks

We have flashed them with positive reviews from our customers, we have not had them on the dyno however.

Shoutout to 2wheeldynoworks! received my ecu today and boy what a difference. All i can say is SMOOTH! You will not be disappointed!

2wheeldynoworks
Shoutout to 2wheeldynoworks! received my ecu today and boy what a difference. All i can say is SMOOTH! You will not be disappointed!
thanks 12ival!

• 1 month later...

I just got my ECU back today and think it's wonderful.  I always had issues with smooth shifts up and down from 1-2 and 2-3 but the recallibration has really helped a lot.  It's so much more pleasurable to ride and to not be so aggravated with my shifting.  I  also hesitate to say this but I can sense more mid range power which is what the dyno comparison graph illustrates.  By the way, I've kept the stock exhaust and just pulled the airbox snorkel.  Well worth the money and the guys at 2wheel dynoworks are a joy to deal with and very responsive.  I've recently replaced the rear shock with an Ohlins unit but this reflash was money better spent.  Great job 

• 3 weeks later...

Question regarding O2 sensor and the flash - in or out!? I removed it for use with the EJK, but have seen someone else mention that they put it back on.

Just got my ECU back - haven't run it yet, but fast, fast turnaround. Thank you for that.

Sansnombre

Hey! I am going to be getting the danmoto carbon gp with remote sound control, and I was wondering if Anyone has My info on if Nels could flash my ECU and it be semi- successful with this exhaust? I will get a much better exhaust later on but just wanted to see if he would flash it and guesstimate the parameters and specs for the danmoto carbon gp.

Thanks

• Global Moderator
Hey! I am going to be getting the danmoto carbon gp with remote sound control, and I was wondering if Anyone has My info on if Nels could flash my ECU and it be semi- successful with this exhaust? I will get a much better exhaust later on but just wanted to see if he would flash it and guesstimate the parameters and specs for the danmoto carbon gp. 
Thanks
Not likely that he would guesstimate

His tunes are based off in-house dyno runs

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Guest ChicagoAJ
Thanks baxtersit!
You guys going to be a doing a discount for 4th of July or anything like soon? That's what I'm waiting for if it's planned!

K, he should totally do one for the dan moto GP carbon fiber with the adjustable baffle control. It's very inexpensive and has great reviews.

K, he should totally do one for the dan moto GP carbon fiber with the adjustable baffle control. It's very inexpensive and has great reviews.

• Global Moderator
He bases his Tunes off customers that bring their bikes in for him to dyno. Nels doesn't have a specific test bike that he uses

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

He bases his Tunes off customers that bring their bikes in for him to dyno. Nels doesn't have a specific test bike that he uses

If only I was 1600 miles closer....

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Who else is running a MWR filter with an aftermarket exhaust and 2WDW flash?

I'm curious how a flash would work if I have a custom air intake cover [wider intake mouth, no snorkel], MWR foam filter, stock headers, and custom slip on exhaust [short yoshimura RS-3 from my old YZF600r]...

At this point, do I just send in my ECU along with a picture of my exhaust design and hope for the best?

@2wheeldynoworks

obiwan.png

Archived