The MT-07 Forum

Correct handguard thread/mount size

skawdee

I'm currently looking into a good windscreen/handguard combo. I'm settled on the MRA Touring screen but still need to find a good guard. I'm thinking both clear would be nice to keep the naked design of the bike. With that said, do you know the screw hole size on the ends of the handlebar? Although a lot of companies haven't made guards for the FZ-07, I'm guessing that I could get a set for a different bike (FZ-09?) and they'll fit the 07. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Scott

• 5 months later...
travisaurusrex

This is a great question. I've also been looking for hand guards and it seems a little easier to find them for the FZ-09. I would love to know if they are compatible with the 07.

fooschnickens

Screw hole size? You mean like the bar diameter? The stock bars are 7/8"

Lots of companies make universal style handguads for different bar sizes. Zeta racing and Powermadd seem to be the most common on the board after looking around.

travisaurusrex

This is my first motorcycle, so I could be mistaken on this, but the stock handlebars are threaded and this seems to be non-standard. I believe it is the threaded bars that limits options for bar ends and for hand guards.

fooschnickens
This is my first motorcycle, so I could be mistaken on this, but the stock handlebars are threaded and this seems to be non-standard. I believe it is the threaded bars that limits options for bar ends and for hand guards.
Oh right, duh, those threads. Most guards will use the self-expanding inserts that don't require messing with the threaded portion inside the bars. The downside is that you'll probably lose the bar end weights, but with a bit of imagination you can probably find a way to make both work.  
People have found that you can make a spacer out of pipe to go over the threaded portion of the bar end to give them enough space to clamp a mirror directly to the bar end itself, you may be able to do something similar with the handguard brace. I'll be embarking down that same road soon once I get some cash saved up.

9f52618334ade2ba162dbc9a0e483019.jpg

Hand guards that fit the FZ-09 will fit... I just bought the Kobra Hand Guards and they fit multiple bikes... check it out... SW-MOTECH KOBRA Handguards For Yamaha FZ-07 '14-'16, FZ-09 '14-'16, XT1200Z Super Tenere '14-'15 & XJR1300 '15

Twisted Throttle LLC...
Photo%20Oct%2013%205%2058%2020%20PM_zpsftwxnpuf.jpg

Archived