The MT-07 Forum

Overfilling Oil

suspiciouspackage

• Global Moderator

As long as your level is between the lines/marks/notches or whatever they are called you are fine. I would ride it like that until you have someone around to hold it up while you add a bit more. It will not take much, I just do not know exactly how much.

• Premium Member
phicurious86
You can add some more, if that second pick is fully settled. You see those 2 sets of lines/notches on the outside edge of the casing surrounding the glass viewing circle? The high line/notch set is what you don't want to go over, but you can go right up to it.
Both pics are without starting the bike. 
I have approximately ½ quart left in my bottle. How much would you say would get it to be enough? I don't wanna bother anyone with holding the bike or anything right now. Or even removing the cover.

It's technically enough now. You'd probably be safe doing 1/2 of that 1/2 quart, but the best system is to get it up on a rear stand, or have someone help you so that you can see what the level is at as you add the oil.

suspiciouspackage
Both pics are without starting the bike. 
I have approximately ½ quart left in my bottle. How much would you say would get it to be enough? I don't wanna bother anyone with holding the bike or anything right now. Or even removing the cover.
It's technically enough now. You'd probably be safe doing 1/2 of that 1/2 quart, but the best system is to get it up on a rear stand, or have someone help you so that you can see what the level is at as you add the oil.
I just did ⅛ so ½ of ¼. It's between the lines so I'm not freaking out like I was. But when I get the chance, I'll put it on the stand and take a picture.If anything, I feel like it'll be more or less between the top line and where it was in that second picture.

bmwpowere36m3
I just did ⅛ so ½ of ¼. It's between the lines so I'm not freaking out like I was. But when I get the chance, I'll put it on the stand and take a picture.If anything, I feel like it'll be more or less between the top line and where it was in that second picture.
Dude, your wayyy overthinking it... So long as you see some oil in the sight glass you'll be okay.  Go ride it for 5-10 minutes, come back and let it sit for 2 minutes or so. Then get on your knees, push the bike upright and look at the sight glass. If the oil level is between the two lines your good.
A little under or over won't due any damage.

No math is needed, it's not a complicated procedure. If you're nervous just add like an ounce at a time, give it a minute or two each time, then checking it each time so you don't over fill again. You'll get good at it as time goes on and later you'll be laughing about the memory of this oil change. The level looks ok now but I would get it between that and the upper two marks. BTW, (tip) I slipped some painters stirring sticks under my kick stand to get it 'almost' upright, it helped a lot. Good luck!

Beemer

So this leads me into another question. From what I've been taught with cars, the best times to check your oil levels are when the engine is cold or 5-10 minutes after shutting the car off. Does the same apply to bikes or no?
Yes, just like a car engine, there is oil at the top after you shut it off that needs to work it's way down to the bottom to get a true reading.

Beemer

• Premium Member

I don't know what would happen on this bike, but on my old CB it was interesting when I filled a cold motor to the hot oil level mark. Oil shot/splurged out of the tach hookup on the engine head when the engine got hot, spraying down everything (including me). Took me a while to figure out what was causing that.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

Like Beemer said, make sure it's reasonably level and add a little at a time till your at the top. No worries.
It will not destroy the engine if you are either a little below the bottom or a little above the top. Those marks have a safety margin for people like me who aren't very precise and don't care that much. BTW, last time I changed the oil in mine I threw in 2.75 qts as per the manual, and it came out above the top line. I guess I didn't drain it long enough, but ya know what? I haven't lost any sleep and my bike is running fine. ;)

Why can't left turners see us?

I was giving the bike the once over (290 mi) and noticed my oil level appeared high. The bike was level and stored on a bursig stand (full review soon). The oil filled the sight glass.

So I started the bike and got it to temperature. Let it sit for a few minutes and the oil was right below the top level mark. I stayed this way for at least 10 minutes.

A few beers later I went back down and BAM I cant see the sight glass.

What does the hive say? Yay or Nay?

I was giving the bike the once over (290 mi) and noticed my oil level appeared high. The bike was level and stored on a bursig stand (full review soon). The oil filled the sight glass. 
So I started the bike and got it to temperature. Let it sit for a few minutes and the oil was right below the top level mark. I stayed this way for at least 10 minutes.

A few beers later I went back down and BAM I cant see the sight glass.

What does the hive say? Yay or Nay?

It looks like a lot of these bikes were slightly overfilled from the factory. It will be fine.

• Premium Member

If really that big a deal, assuming the engine is filled correctly at changing time, measure what comes out and put that amount back in. Or... just follow the instructions in the Manual.

suspiciouspackage, the level was fine (as per your pic) after you added oil, now just go RIDE it!!! 

Archived