The MT-07 Forum

What do we call our bike style??

Kipawa

Naked twin. 

Because it's the only way I will ever get to talk about riding naked twins :(
Done, its settled. :)

• Premium Member
I call it a naked sport bike, but I use the word sport very loosely. It has a sport bike look for sure, but its performance - specifically in the suspension specs - is far from a true sport bike. Naked sport tourer is probably more accurate, but that just doesn't roll of the tongue.
I think "tourer" is even more of a misnomer than "sport".  It would at least need a screen stock to be considered a tourer. The sport thing I can get behind because I also owned (and just sold tonight) a Ninja 500, which is a sport bike, but the suspension is no better than the FZ-07.
To be honest I think the best description is Standard or UJM.

Why can't left turners see us?

Hate to disappoint you folks but officially I think it is a "standard" bike. Of course I think it is the "Ultimate Urban-Assult/Hooligan/Stuntah/Torque-Monster/Sport-Touring vehicle", commonly known as a UUAHSTMSTV.

glockpointer

Attila is right, it's a standard. Die was cast decades ago. Nothing wrong with a standard. Doesn't need to be a naked standard because standards ARE naked.

• Premium Member

When people ask me, "What kind of bike is that?" after telling them it's a Yamaha FZ-07, I just say it's a naked sport bike...

...but hopefully after this weekend I can call it my naked race bike :)

- Paulie

If I have to call it something other than an FZ-07, I say "standard motorcycle" or "standard".

• Global Moderator

My vote goes to standard or traditional. Because that's what it is.
It is as close as you can get to the basic roots of a motorcycle. None of that naked fighter urban hooligan hipster marketing fluff for me. crazy.gif

pgeldz: Are you going to race it?
What class. Restrictions and allowed mods.
The Aussie model actually fits into a class in various states as a Formula 3, and nationally as a protwin ( I think that's the class . might be thunder twins or something else. One that has er6's and SV650's anyway). That's because the displacement of the Aussie and NZ model was reduced to 655cc which is within the percentage variation from 650. All these classes allow the ecu to be modded so it will put it back to full available HP ( though less than the rest of the world because it used the same head which means it has only 11:1 compression instead of 11.5:1. None of these classes allow engine mods like increased compression or head work or valve and cam work.
Having raced an ER6, I reckon the MT would be a way better bike prepared properly , especially on a shorter or twistier track. IMHO need to get the weight bias much more forward than stock though under hard cornering the front is quite vague. Better shock. Better fork damping, 170/60 tyre ( 165/65 if you can use slicks), narrower more forward bars ( and get rid of the rubber handlebar mounts). Footpeg position needs to be back and higher if rules allow as well. Very easy to do on this bike. And chuck the seat for a foam pad to get a bit furthur into the bike.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

When people ask me, "What kind of bike is that?" after telling them it's a Yamaha FZ-07, I just say it's a naked sport bike... 

- Paulie
 Why must you keep taunting me?  I want to see this beast already! Hurry up! ;)

Life is good on 2 wheels!

My vote goes to standard or traditional. Because that's what it is. It is as close as you can get to the basic roots of a motorcycle. None of that naked fighter urban hooligan hipster marketing fluff for me. crazy.gif

Thank you, Guru! I think it was god (he loves to ride) that got the first ever standard off the assembly line and they haven't changed since. Next thing ya know, 10 years down the road another person that likes to make up their own 'urban words' will call a newly released standard an 'orgasmo' on you tube and it will catch on. The word standard may die with our generation I fear.

Beemer

• Premium Member
pgeldz: Are you going to race it? What class. Restrictions and allowed mods.
The Aussie model actually fits into a class in various states as a Formula 3, and nationally as a protwin ( I think that's the class . might be thunder twins or something else. One that has er6's and SV650's anyway). That's because the displacement of the Aussie and NZ model was reduced to 655cc which is within the percentage variation from 650. All these classes allow the ecu to be modded so it will put it back to full available HP ( though less than the rest of the world because it used the same head which means it has only 11:1 compression instead of 11.5:1. None of these classes allow engine mods like increased compression or head work or valve and cam work.
Having raced an ER6, I reckon the MT would be a way better bike prepared properly , especially on a shorter or twistier track. IMHO need to get the weight bias much more forward than stock though under hard cornering the front is quite vague. Better shock. Better fork damping, 170/60 tyre ( 165/65 if you can use slicks), narrower more forward bars ( and get rid of the rubber handlebar mounts). Footpeg position needs to be back and higher if rules allow as well. Very easy to do on this bike. And chuck the seat for a foam pad to get a bit furthur into the bike.

I'm gonna track it for sure, but not in any sanctioned events or classes. I'm basically setting it up to be the ultimate replacement for my beloved SV650, which was set up for aggressive street and track day riding.

I have the riding position sorted with bars and rearsets, and the suspension was tossed a while ago for Traxxion Dynamics AK20's up front and a Penske triple clicker out back. I need to get to and from the track with this, so I'm on Dunlop Q3's for double duty as street, track day. We'll see how long they last :)

- Paulie
 Why must you keep taunting me?  I want to see this beast already! Hurry up! ;)

Lol! I have blocked out this entire weekend to get it done...yes, even Mothers' Day. The new livery bits were overnighted to me, as well as the last of the hard parts so I'll be working through the weekend to get it done.

Cross your fingers for me that everything goes without a hitch :)

- Paulie

Back in the early 80's every bike was "Naked". None of them came with fairings except maybe a Ducati or BMW with a 1/4 fairing. Then the sport bike craze hit and thereafter all the other specialty groups were formed .... i.e. "Sport Bike", "Enduro" / "Dual-Sport", "Sport-Tourer", "Cruiser" etc.... Hence, calling a bike "naked" implies it is missing it's body work - which it is not, since it never had any, nor was intended to have any. The bottom line - upright seating, with no fairing = "Standard Bike". As for "Hooligan", "Urban-Assualt", "Stunter" etc... those all denote what the bike is being used for -- regardless of what type (sport, standard, dual-sport, etc...)
Your honor, I rest my case.

• Global Moderator

So our bikes are not naked, all the others are dressed (and many are overdressed). Is that right @attila?

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

they say the puritans where the first to come to the colonies in quantity. they thought the european churches weren't pure enough, so they left. evidently, they had a need to hyper-define their beliefs and make a big deal about the simplest of things.

i believe this explains american behavior. everything must be labelled, defines, boxed, categorized, and put neatly on a shelf.

since i'm not from this planet, i often find myself wanting to throw bricks at people. i admit that i am the one at fault.

;)

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member

Our bikes are naked... and should be ashamed, and spanked, and ridden hard. JK. ;)

Why can't left turners see us?

Well said howworkclutch. I think though the passion for naming a category for EVERYTHING is very recent. I submit it is primarily the fault(?) of marketers. Unless you have an upsell word for anything they believe noone will buy it ( crap of course and the net has shown in recent years as things, not thought to be commercial, go viral).
It a motorcycle. That's it. What type depends on what the owner decides to do with it within the limits of the device ( and sometimes way beyond those).
You , for instance, obviously seem to have found a little known use for motorcycles as a smoke machine. I on the other hand intend to make it into a medium range tourer ( less than 500km a day).

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

they say the puritans where the first to come to the colonies in quantity. they thought the european churches weren't pure enough, so they left. evidently, they had a need to hyper-define their beliefs and make a big deal about the simplest of things. 

i believe this explains american behavior. everything must be labelled, defines, boxed, categorized, and put neatly on a shelf.

since i'm not from this planet, i often find myself wanting to throw bricks at people. i admit that i am the one at fault.

;)

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick
My bike truly is a naked slut.  

Really? How so?

Illegitimi non carborundum

• 1 month later...

Sorry to revive an old thread guys.

I was thinking about this the other day and I found the most accurate way to describe the FZ-07 is a cross between a sport bike and a super moto.

• Premium Member

The bike is in a class called " Badass "...and the custom fz-07 cafe racer looks truly unique but to shinny for my tastes...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Archived