The MT-07 Forum

Gauging Interest: Selling my Custom rear LED turnsignals

wickedtwister

I agree with Eric. I wanna see your attempt at the dual light. I would be down for that even at an extra cost.
Also, have you done any tests for moisture/rain/water?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

Thanks everyone. Finally got around to finding out the color difference.

@motofoto said words I saw on more than one site.

My design brain wants it to be red but my safety brain says to go amber... decisions, decisions.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister
I agree with Eric. I wanna see your attempt at the dual light. I would be down for that even at an extra cost. Also, have you done any tests for moisture/rain/water?
I have driven through heavy rain with no issues. To be sure I will pull my prototype off and sink it into a tub of water and turn them on. For me this is a final quality check before I offer anything for sale...

Can I connect it as break lights instead of turn signal. Usually ride with my wife as a pillon. So worried it won't be visible if she is sitting behind. Would like to keep the original break light and add these as for additional look
Are you wanting to have them as running lights as well?  Just brakes is pretty easy when you add running lights it makes it a little more difficult.  I kind of what to do a running/brake/turn signal for my bike so i will play around with it next week.
This would be cool.  I would LOVE a set that had both colors on it and lit up the red LEDs with the brake lights and used the amber LEDs for turn signals.  I wouldn't want any running lights on the rear, just brake and turn signals.  Maybe even had the amber LEDs in sort of an arrow/chevron pattern?  Just throwing some creative ideas out.  I still want the original design with the all one color, turn signal only.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

I'm in for amber also! I havnt read all the comments but s suggestion would be to take core returns of the panels that we will be removing that way you could have those to mod and maybe offer at a slightly lower price? Just an idea

• Premium Member
This would be cool.  I would LOVE a set that had both colors on it and lit up the red LEDs with the brake lights and used the amber LEDs for turn signals.  I wouldn't want any running lights on the rear, just brake and turn signals.  Maybe even had the amber LEDs in sort of an arrow/chevron pattern?  Just throwing some creative ideas out.  I still want the original design with the all one color, turn signal only.  
If you both can happen (no running light), I wouldn't have to choose between the two colors. Haha.  

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister
I'm in for amber also! I havnt read all the comments but s suggestion would be to take core returns of the panels that we will be removing that way you could have those to mod and maybe offer at a slightly lower price? Just an idea
The panels are not very expensive.  A core program might save you 10 bucks (cost of a pair of new panels), after you spend the money to ship the panels back to me, I just don't think its worth it.   

• Premium Member
wickedtwister
If you both can happen (no running light), I wouldn't have to choose between the two colors. Haha. 
Ill see what i can do with my next prototype. I'm a little worried about fitting all these led's in this panel, but i will work on it.  

• Premium Member

I'd like a set that turns to a deep murderous blood red when some cager screws with me, then become lasers that burn their eyes.
Waddayathink? >:D

Why can't left turners see us?

• Global Moderator

If I hadn't already ordered all of the mats to build this, I'd just have ordered it from you. would've saved me time. PM sent btw

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

These are now for sale check out the supporting vendors page for details.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

@christrix thank you for the input. I have been thinking about this. I'm just worried about how bright they would be. I tried several that I did not think were bright enough before I got to my final configuration. I will look into it some more.

True I just looked at the specs and the ones I found have only a 150-300 mcd while yours are 6,000 mcd which is the measurement for he brightness so some further reasearch is needed lol sounded like a good idea though

The panels are not very expensive.  A core program might save you 10 bucks (cost of a pair of new panels), after you spend the money to ship the panels back to me, I just don't think its worth it.   

I gotcha. I wasn't really thinking about saving any money I was just thinking it could save you time with having to go out and buy new ones everytime you make them. But hey if they are that cheap and they're in stock might as well just get the new ones and avoid the return shipping hassle lol.

I'm not sure if I commented here too or just on the other thread, but I am in for a set of Amber for sure!!

• Premium Member
fz07fanboy
EhyAiq.jpg

Just completed a set for myself. Thank you WICKEDTWISTER for the how to. Some additional instructions I would recommend in the HOW TO is to make sure to point out which side is negative and positive so that all of the LED can be lined up accordingly. I also had to solder wires on all the negative sides of the LEDs and not just what your picture showed in order for all of them to light up. Maybe I didn't do something right. Either way you got me in the right direction. I've ordered another set of covers, LEDs and resistors from DIGI-KEY. I plan on drilling a little bit bigger hold for the LEDs. I think this could actually make the field of view or at least seeing the light even better. I also hot glued the LEDs into place instead of superglue. That got messy for me =)

• Global Moderator
EhyAiq.jpg 
Just completed a set for myself. Thank you WICKEDTWISTER for the how to. Some additional instructions I would recommend in the HOW TO is to make sure to point out which side is negative and positive so that all of the LED can be lined up accordingly. I also had to solder wires on all the negative sides of the LEDs and not just what your picture showed in order for all of them to light up. Maybe I didn't do something right. Either way you got me in the right direction. I've ordered another set of covers, LEDs and resistors from DIGI-KEY. I plan on drilling a little bit bigger hold for the LEDs. I think this could actually make the field of view or at least seeing the light even better. I also hot glued the LEDs into place instead of superglue. That got messy for me =)

In your pictures the leds are wired in parallel, in the how-to they are wired in a series/parallel config843460bc34710f977fa08f18547821bb.jpg
393be3b4de4f1d65465394a7f65060c8.jpg

I ended up using a small countersink bit to chamfer the hole on the exterior. As far as anode(+)and cathode(-) the leds that were shown in the how-to have one angled/chamfered corner, that is the cathode, you will also notice on the underside of the led there is a small separation in the circuitry, this is also on the cathode side.

• Premium Member

Im tight with money since summer tuition and insurance is due but i hope to buy a set next time i have some money to "spare"

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Thanks sorkyah for the clarification to fx07fanboy on the wiring. If you look at the digikey website they have a PDF that tells which side is the cathode side from there with the help of google you can figure out how to wire it up and have them work. I'd bet if you wired them in series they would be brighter.
Basically its (+) in (-) out to (+) in (-) out to (+) in (-) out to resistor. Exactaly what my picture showed.... If you change this configuration, add or remove LEDs, you will need to change the resistor.

• Global Moderator
Thanks sorkyah for the clarification to fx07fanboy on the wiring. If you look at the digikey website they have a PDF that tells which side is the cathode side from there with the help of google you can figure out how to wire it up and have them work. I'd bet if you wired them in series they would be brighter. Basically its (+) in (-) out to (+) in (-) out to (+) in (-) out to resistor. Exactaly what my picture showed.... If you change this configuration, add or remove LEDs, you will need to change the resistor.

It should also make them last longer. Running in parallel could pull excessive current reducing the life of the diode emitters

Archived