The MT-07 Forum

new "owner" here

ryderjay

Hello everyone! I'm Jay, just put a deposit on a Liquid Graphite FZ-07 I'll be taking delivery of at the end of April. Dealer let me put the bike on a long term hold with a deposit so I could get the color I wanted when I get there. I'm an NCO is the US Coast Guard currently waiting to get home so I can then move from MA to Virginia. Instead of moving two motorcycles (I also own a '14 Road King) I figured I'd buy when I got there. Unfortunately the FZ-07 is already flying out of dealers in VA since the weather has been nice. This made it unlikely I'd get the one I wanted when looking at dealer stocks in the area annnnddd its been keeping prices pretty firm. They would have waived the freight fee if I was picking up in a week or so, but a month and a half hold was something they don't really do according to the manager. Which is pretty typical since dealers know they can sell their stock pretty easily. 

Anyway, I pick her up the last week of April and couldn't be more excited. I haven't been this enthusiastic over a bike since Yamaha fixed their mistake with the 06 R6's terrible mid-range - and really I'm even more excited than I was about that. I raced semi-pro for 4 years and was a NESBA control rider. Been riding for 13 years now, mostly Superbikes and mostly Yamahas. Started on 250 Yamaha dirtbike pre license then purchased a Suzuki TL1000R as my first roadbike. From there I had 05 R6 (Track), 06 R6 (Track, Quickly sold), 06 ZX6R (Track), 07 R1, 08 R6 (Street/Track), 09 ZX6R, 07 1100 Custom, 11 Stryker, 14 Road King, and now the 15 FZ-07 I just have to pick up when I get back and move. Already have parts on the way for it, heh.

A few people have asked me "Why are you buying a such a small bike???" The answer is that on the street my R1 was boring. 3rd gear all day long if I wanted, and usually in the mountains I'd rarely shift from 2nd or 3rd. That power is just unappealing to me anymore. I get my giggles from usable torque which 600 - 700cc twins and triples can easily provide. They are a blast to ride with a fun factor that is reached well within legal and safe limits on a public road. I did enjoy my 600cc I-4 sportbikes on the street for some time, but I guess the appeal of having a racebike on the road was just lost to me after racing on the track for 4 years. It's amazing how quick street riding becomes boring on a racebike after you've had the taste for the track. These days I decided to leave them where they belong  on the racetrack. Which brings me to the FZ-07. A lightweight, nimble machine with plenty of torque and hp for its size on the street that won't break the bank. I can still have a little of what I love about sport bikes with the FZ-07 and it's an absolute blast to ride regardless of your skill level. I was worried at first before i rode one, but didn't even make it out of my friend's street before completely forgetting about those concerns.

Look forward to the forum discussions and possibly meeting other FZ riders down in VA this season.

Cheers,

Jay

Howdy. :)

I felt the same way when I first test-rode an FZ-07:
The small, light feel of the bike, an engine with a great low-to-midrange powerband, great front brakes, and even the V-Twin-esque vibes and sound is a fun combination that had me buy one the following Monday after the test ride.

Today, I tell those that ask what I'm riding these days that my FZ-07 is more fun than the YZF-R1s, FZ-1s, YZF-750R, and YZF-R6 I rode in the past, and I only wish this bike was available back then.
Much more usable, makes much more sense to me, and much more fun.

Welcome to the club bud. Seems there are quite a few coasties on here, Navy here and glad to be out of Virginia. I'm a new rider and can't say I wasn't on the fence at the end of the day when I saw the orange FZ-09, but in the end - I sided with the pearl FZ-07. Loving it. I haven't received anything negative on the bike yet, but have gotten a few compliments while out on the streets. My coworkers range from Busa owners to Triumph owners and we are all pretty quick to highlight the pros/cons of each of our bikes.

Enjoy the bike and it's a shame you have to wait that long! As far as price point goes, it was pretty rough in Tampa haggling the price down, but I managed to make a little progress in Orlando.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome ryderjay! What parts do you have on the way for it?

Illegitimi non carborundum

Welcome ryderjay! What parts do you have on the way for it?

Thanks! I have some woodcraft swingarm spools, new alpinestars gloves (only have my Harley gloves these days) the Puig dark smoke touring screen, fender eliminator kit from eBay with 4 led turn signals, waiting for the akroprovic full carbon exhaust to come available again, that's next on the list but wasn't available.

• Global Moderator

I hope you have checked out the supporting vendors area. Dobeck has a great price on the exhaust with their fuel controller (I do not know their availability on the carbon, but they will know :) )

I hope you have checked out the supporting vendors area. Dobeck has a great price on the exhaust with their fuel controller (I do not know their availability on the carbon, but they will know :) )

I've talked with Dillon a few times from Dobeck regarding the Stryker I had, good people and great product. Had no idea they sold exhausts as well as their own fuel controllers. I'll definitely check that out, thanks!

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Welcome to the forum. Reading your take on the FZ makes me feel so much better for buying it. I knew it got good reviews but someone who has had a few "sportier" bikes just adds to it's cred. Cheers.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Premium Member

Welcome!!

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• 3 weeks later...

Seen fz7kill on drag 5.0. Camero...ninja6. Wow..lightweight torque power less then it all..except the camera..It looks better too lol....

Archived