The MT-07 Forum

left my keys in the ignition

fastfredyb

Left my keys in the ignition, in the on position like an idiot!!!  No bueno. I noticed that I had done that 4 hrs later and the battery, of course, was dead.  I called roadside assistance and while I waited I tried to turn on the bike. I noticed I could see all of the numbers and information on the display screen but very faintly. Still, the bike wouldn't even start to turn over.  I am still waiting and tried to google if we can jumpstart a motorcycle?  Like anything else, some people say yes, some people say no. How about popping the clutch?? Well, the fed ex guy popped the clutch as I pushed him all over the parking lot. I rode home like normal. I really need to learn this skill because it could be a life saver.  Next day, bike was just like normal .

1. Can you jumpstart from a car to motorcycle?
2. Don't be an idiot and forget your keys

TwistedTorque

Heh my buddies died this weekend right in front of a cycle gear. We jumped it with a portable jumper.

On a trip last year some guys died. We jumped it with a running start.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Even though it works for now, this may have shortened the life of your battery. Some batteries don't take kindly to being completely discharged.

You probably should put it on a tender for a while.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Because this is not the first time I have done this, I will be investing in one of these!!! I will keep it in my tail bag, because a prepared idiot is better off than an unprepared idiot hahahahahah!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Brightech-Carrying-Integrated-Charging-Electronics/dp/B00NT9IN12/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0CJMDVKVQQHSZHB4HWNE

• Premium Member
Even though it works for now, this may have shortened the life of your battery. Some batteries don't take kindly to being completely discharged.  
You probably should put it on a tender for a while.

I'll say almost all vehicle batteries don't much like this. The new Li Ion ones, shouldn't suffer as much but can still be damaged from prolonged low voltage.

Def toss it on a trickle charger if you have one.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
Because this is not the first time I have done this, I will be investing in one of these!!! I will keep it in my tail bag, because a prepared idiot is better off than an unprepared idiot hahahahahah!!!!

You mean a portable jumper? They're not very compact or light weight, at least most of em anyway. Nice nonetheless, some can power auxiliary items too, like a usb port.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

http://www.amazon.com/Brightech-Carrying-Integrated-Charging-Electronics/dp/B00NT9IN12/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0CJMDVKVQQHSZHB4HWNE

That thing looks pretty handy..It says it ways 1.8 lbs..not bad at all. I wonder how often you have to recharge it though. It won't do you any good if is dead when you need it.

• Premium Member

Damn, I missed the link to that earlier. That's pretty cool. Of course they omit important technical info.. like what type of battery it utilizes.

If it's li-ion (which I think it should be, given the size and weight), it'll hold a charge for months with very little discharge. That could be affected by temps below freezing and very hot temps, like leaving it in direct sunlight in the summer.

Everything went braap.

It states to recharge every 3 months but I figure because I mostly commute my battery would die either at home or at work. Either way I can charge if the jump box isn't fully charged right

rubberbandman72

Your bike operates on a 12 volt electrical system just like a car. Jump starting and/or charging is exactly the same as a car.

• Premium Member

I left the key in the bike before when i first got it, luckily i turned it to off.....and nobody took off with it

Archived