The MT-07 Forum

Well, that was nerve wracking for a minute

so1102

• Premium Member

This 07 is my first sport bike, so I had also never used a paddock stand before.  Just got the bike yesterday, and a pit bull rear stand today.  Just put the bike up on the stand for the first time and I must admit I was sweating it a bit there for a second or two.  Anyone else a little nervous the first time too?  I was so worried I would drop her while balancing her with my left hand.

It's all good now.  :)

• Premium Member
This 07 is my first sport bike, so I had also never used a paddock stand before.  Just got the bike yesterday, and a pit bull rear stand today.  Just put the bike up on the stand for the first time and I must admit I was sweating it a bit there for a second or two.  Anyone else a little nervous the first time too?  I was so worried I would drop her while balancing her with my left hand. 
It's all good now.  :)
If you're talking about the forward handle stand, I still get nervous. I find that sometimes the bolts for the width adjustment loosen and I have to retighten. And sometimes I think it's a little crooked when the bike is on the stand. It does save space in the garage and I use it all the time, but I have to pay attention.

Heck, don't feel bad. My race bike has no kickstand (it would if they let me), so if I want to park my pig I have to put it on the stands myself, after every session, all weekend long. It's nerve wracking even after 3 years of doing it. Most racers have gotten used to it, but still take their time. It's especially difficult after a day of riding hard and you are exhausted. If friends at the track really want to show how much they like you, they will drop what they are doing when they see you roll into your pit, to run over and prop you up on the stand, so you don't have to do it. That's true friendship right there!

• Global Moderator

The reason I still have the strap on the passenger seat is so I have something to hold on to when I put it on the paddock stand. It does get easier the more you do it. I hardly sweat at all now.

• Premium Member

First couple times i was sweating a bit, now not so much

• Premium Member

I haven't done it yet. I started to do it... and got too scared. :)

Why can't left turners see us?

Just have someone strattle the front wheel and lightly craddle  the handlebars but not assist until needed. Also before you straighten the bike up off the sidestand, turn the front wheel so it is pointed straight. After a few times it will become second nature and you won't even think twice about it. Also use the passenger hand strap to steady the bike.

• Premium Member

@KURT thanks for the tip about straightening the front wheel -- I didn't think of that the first time around. Also using the pillion strap is a good idea too.

• Premium Member
Just have someone strattle the front wheel and lightly craddle  the handlebars but not assist until needed. Also before you straighten the bike up off the sidestand, turn the front wheel so it is pointed straight. After a few times it will become second nature and you won't even think twice about it. Also use the passenger hand strap to steady the bike.
Well, the problem begins with:
Just have someone strattle the front wheel and lightly craddle
I don't have any assistants. :) 

Well, the problem begins with:
Just have someone strattle the front wheel and lightly craddle
I don't have any assistants. :)
With a name like Rowdy I can understand how it would be hard to find an assistant.  :)

• Premium Member
Well, the problem begins with: I don't have any assistants. :)

With a name like Rowdy I can understand how it would be hard to find an assistant.  :)
Touché  :) 

Archived