The MT-07 Forum

Handlebar replacement.

rowdy

• Premium Member

I've seen a few members have replaced their handlebars. I have decided to do so also, because the stock bars kinda feel like ape hangers to me.
I bought a set of the Renthal Ultra Lows, and some Renthal bar ends (because the stock bar ends are too large to fit into the Renthal bars.
I received my bars and bar ends today, and plan on putting them on soon (like, maybe tomorrow). 

to get an idea of what to expect, but it's for an FZ-09, the bars are different, etc...  I was wondering if any of you folks who have done this job have any words of wisdom before I dive in.  :) 

Why can't left turners see us?

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I think half the problem with the bars is the clamp. It slopes back and moves the bar position back, I put an aftermarket set of 22.5mm clamps that were lower and directly over the bolt. Had to bore then to fit an allen bolt as they had a crappy Dbolt head. With the Renthal ultralows helped get a bit more load on the front wheel and I turns way better. Considerably less vague.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 1 month later...
I've seen a few members have replaced their handlebars. I have decided to do so also, because the stock bars kinda feel like ape hangers to me. I bought a set of the Renthal Ultra Lows, and some Renthal bar ends (because the stock bar ends are too large to fit into the Renthal bars.
I received my bars and bar ends today, and plan on putting them on soon (like, maybe tomorrow). 
to get an idea of what to expect, but it's for an FZ-09, the bars are different, etc...  I was wondering if any of you folks who have done this job have any words of wisdom before I dive in.  :)
Hey Rowdy,  
How'd the Renthal ultralow turn out for you after install? Were you happy with the result? I'm ordering one soon too and am not sure which height to get... Are you tall?

• Premium Member
Hey Rowdy,  
How'd the Renthal ultralow turn out for you after install? Were you happy with the result? I'm ordering one soon too and am not sure which height to get... Are you tall?

ladyfz, I got them installed just fine, but it was a PITA getting the holes for the controls in the right spot, and I ended up cutting the nub off the turn signal/high/low beam switch to get it in the position I wanted.  I like the lower position of the ultralows, but they are still a little wider than I would consider ideal for me.  I may try to cut them down a half inch or so when I have some free time.  Overall, I like them, but they didn't make a huge difference.  As others have noted though, if you make a huge difference in handlebar position you may have to get some adjustable rearsets to compensate.  I don't feel like I need to reposition my rearsets with the Renthal UltaLows. 

Cool, thanks for the info. That video you linked earlier was SUPER helpful. Did you get new grips when you ordered or just put the old ones back on? Can I see a pic of your bike with it installed? Come on, braggin' time! :)

• Premium Member

I just put the old ones back on (with grip puppies added).
Here's a front view and driver view.
[attachment id=378" thumbnail="1]
[attachment id=379" thumbnail="1]

• Premium Member
phicurious86
Personally I think half the problem with the bars is the clamp. It slopes back and moves the bar position back, I put an aftermarket set of 22.5mm clamps that were lower and directly over the bolt. Had to bore then to fit an allen bolt as they had a crappy Dbolt head. With the Renthal ultralows helped get a bit more load on the front wheel and I turns way better. Considerably less vague.
Like these? http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-78-handlebar-risers

And/or these? https://www.drivenracing.com/catalog/triple-tree-bar-clamp/product/dms13bk (NVM. Contacted driven and these clamps only work with 1 1/8inch bars)

Phicurious86. Like the second ones BUT the MT07 has smaller through bolts than those. Can't remember what size but I had a pait and had to make spacers to fit into the bar clamps because the MT ones were smaller. Either 10 down to 8mm or 12 down to 10mm. Check ( the thread sticks out below the triple clamp) and get the right sized ones. I only spaced then caus I already had a pair.
BTW the easiest way to put them on is to actually REMOVE remove the top triple clamp . Bolt them in slightly loose, put a bar in and tighten the through bolts to ensure the clamps are in line. Then remove the bars and instral the triple clamp.
Dont forget the instrument panel will now NOT have anywhere to bolt on so you will have to address that. I moved mine forward to make it easier to see.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
Hey Rowdy,  

ladyfz, I got them installed just fine, but it was a PITA getting the holes for the controls in the right spot, and I ended up cutting the nub off the turn signal/high/low beam switch to get it in the position I wanted.  I like the lower position of the ultralows, but they are still a little wider than I would consider ideal for me.  I may try to cut them down a half inch or so when I have some free time.  Overall, I like them, but they didn't make a huge difference.  As others have noted though, if you make a huge difference in handlebar position you may have to get some adjustable rearsets to compensate.  I don't feel like I need to reposition my rearsets with the Renthal UltaLows. i cut mine at a 1/2 inch and that is about all you can do and still have room for switchs, levers,etc.

Just thought I'd report back on my handlebar replacement: did it the other day using the Renthal Ultralows and it looks so much better! It took me an eternity because I'm new to all this so a quick job takes me three times longer. But hey, I'm learning and it's fun/rewarding to be able to do it myself. My husband helped me when I needed it but mainly let me do most of it so that I could learn. Bless his heart!

The drilling was a pain in the arse but a friend lent his kickarse drill bits and I got the job done, with no extra holes! Keep in mind, you don't have to drill all the way through the bar, just enough for the boss. At the moment I don't feel I need to trim the ends but maybe as I get progressively better at riding, I'll see it differently. I have noticed the change in riding position. I'm between 6'0 and 6'1 with long arms and with the lower handlebars I'm a little lower/slightly more forward. I wanted to post some pics but I guess I'm not able to, as a basic member. Waiting for my barends to come in and complete the job. Also installed my OES frame sliders while I was at it. The bike feels more and more like a part of me everyday. LOVE!

• Global Moderator

@ladyfz, there is a tutorial here about how to post photos as a regular member (it is just easier for premium members). I hope you can get some photos posted. I am interested to see how it looks. 

@mjh937 Thank you! I was looking for that tut and for some silly reason couldn't find it.

Here's a couple quick shots I took right after I finished:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c335/supatalon/IMG_1081.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c335/supatalon/IMG_1082.jpg

And then a nice Sunday ride...
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c335/supatalon/IMG_1086.jpg

• Premium Member

They look nice! How you liking the ultra-lows?

• Premium Member

How much wider are these? Wasn't sure about doing this without doing the rear set as well...

bmwpowere36m3

From what I remember, the Renthal was ~1" wider (overall) based on the grip ends. The grips on the factory bar stick past the ends, but the bar ends are sized so that the grip partially covers/sits on them. So if you just measure bar width, then the Renthal might be ~1.5" longer (overall).

• 1 month later...

Anyone try running fatbars? Curious to see. Spiegel has oversized bar clamps. I don't have my bike yet and trying to get an idea. I know most are having good result with the ultra lows.

Anyone know What's the stock bar dimensions?

Thanks

Honda Grom
CB 350

thomascrown

I don't like any of these aftermarket bars. The absolute best for me ergonomically would be a set of Streetfighter 848 handlebars. Wonder if a retrofit is feasible on the fz07.

They bend downward at the grips, making hanging off the bike much easier.  top2-770x433.jpg

Archived