The MT-07 Forum

Extra padding added.

cborcafz07

So I didn't feel like paying 3-400 for a new seat. I went to my local upholstery place, they've done a bike seat for me before, and asked them to add some more padding to my seat. For $50 they added an inch of padding and reinstalled my vinyl. Not bad and feels better on my buttocks. Still get some pressure on my tail bone, but that may just be a side effect of my skinny ass. lol

Obviously it's lost that sculpted look, but doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. So I'm happy.

IMG_20150316_145457493.jpgIMG_20150316_145505596.jpg
IMG_20150316_174535708.jpg

• Premium Member

Cool, i may to see what local shops in my area could do the same

• Premium Member

I think it looks good overall. Nice upgrade for a solid price.

Everything went braap.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
phicurious86

Interesting. Might try this myself, but swap the cover material instead of add padding. Seat is kind of slippery as is.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

I am not to the point of wanting an extra seat yet. But I may want to try this in the future

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

• Premium Member

How does the seat look under? how much material is left to staple to? I am seriously looking into this

I thought about replacing the vinyl. But I was looking for minimal cost, so decided to keep it. There was plenty of material left to staple the vinyl back on. Underneath it looks pretty much like stock. The guy did a 1/2" on the top part of the seat and then another 1/2" over the entire seat, that was I assume to keep the seat from getting to wide. Overall I'm very happy with it and my butt agrees. lol

• Premium Member
I thought about replacing the vinyl. But I was looking for minimal cost, so decided to keep it. There was plenty of material left to staple the vinyl back on. Underneath it looks pretty much like stock. The guy did a 1/2" on the top part of the seat and then another 1/2" over the entire seat, that was I assume to keep the seat from getting to wide. Overall I'm very happy with it and my butt agrees. lol
sounds good, I think doing 1/2 inch on the top and 1/2 on the whole thing makes it work, I was thinking of duplicating what you did but adding 1 inch all the way around, I think that would of worked with the material they left

• Global Moderator

I am waiting to see the Seat Concepts solution. I am pretty sure I am going to go with that. It sounds like a good upgrade.

Seat concepts looks good, especially for the price. I'm happy with what I got, but I may be enticed into the group buy, I'm just waiting for more info/pics on the seat concepts.

• 1 month later...

I may do that, I have some 1 1/2 in. cool gel memory foam I could use. Maybe just chuck the original foam or Maaaaybe I can do it myself??? Has anyone done their own seat?

Beemer

• Premium Member

Good option! I must say, reminds me of a fat girl in tights.

Archived