The MT-07 Forum

Ear plugs

freeman

captainbeard714

Ive got an open baffle Akrapovic and neither the exahust or wind noise seems that bad enough for ear plugs to me at all. Even after a whole day riding. My helmet seems to block out a lot of noise. But Im also use to driving my truck which might be louder haha. Plus I always have my music way turned up with bass that sets off car alarms and 3 sets of focal component speakers hahahaahah. I like loud noises!!!!

However, I did hear that you can actually get a ticket for using the wrong type of ear plugs in California. Supposed to use the kind with holes in them that dont completely block off your hearing. At least thats what the guy said in my riders safety course if I remember correctly.

Guest JerzieFREQ
Hahaha oh man, the Guv... aka. The devil's mansion... And yes, of course the Kool Haus on all access nights. Trance addict.com! 
I went to the Guv/Kool Haus almost every weekend from 2003 to 2008. So sad that it's now gonna be condos. The memories I have from that place. Wow.

Yea I'm pissed it shut down.  I was gonna go to Markus Schulz's open to close set back in September but sadly other stuff came up.  What a massive set though.  Very glad he recorded it.

• 4 weeks later...
Wind noise will kill your hearing faster than exhaust noise will. I use the Hearos blue and they are far and away the best ones I've found. Super soft and they expand perfectly.
Even with a helmet on?  I haven't really noticed much for wind noise.

> Even with a helmet on? I haven't really noticed much for wind noise.

Oh hell yes! I had a top quality Shoei RF800 that fit very well. I rode from Naples FL to DC over the course of 2 days on a CB750 with stock pipes. I was deaf by the mid-second day and ears ringing non-stop. and all just from wind noise. I wear ear plugs without fail. You actually hear MUCH better than without them.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

It's really not the fact that the wind noise is unbearable, it's the long term exposure that will destroy your ears. Your brain will block out the wind noise after a few minutes but it's still damaging your hearing.

I bought an Arai dual sport helmut, because I like having the sun deflected away from my eyes. It has a snap close face shield and I can still ware sunglasses. It is so quite I quit wearing earplugs

It is so quite I quit wearing earplugs

No helmet is quiet enough for that, not even Schuberths. Wear earplugs if you value the ability to hear in the future. Unless of course, you're already deaf :D

Lets put it this way, I thought the horn was way too weak sounding, but it was only my new lid with earplugs! Maybe in a few years, the padding will be less, but for now, no plugs are needed. The reason I bought such an expensive helmut is because I can get buy with only one helmut, as I ride dirt also.

• Premium Member

I am currently using the Shure SE215. Intended for cancelling out loud sounds at concerts if your performing or adjusting audio for the performers. They work very well, if not better than earplugs with the added benefit of having the ability to listen to music at a very low volume as you ride thus not forcing you to crank your music which will make you lose your hearing anyways. They are pretty durable with thicker than usual chord. I've had mine for a year and used them at work near huge diesel engines that will make you lose your hearing very fast. They go for about $125.00 CAD

Shure SE215 for me as well. I opened up my Sena SMH-10 and converted the 3.5mm input jack to a headphone output jack. I plug in my Shures and now I get noise blocking safety, great audio quality, and still retain all the functionality of the mic for intercom or phone calls.

I grab two fistfulls from the shooting range at work when I go qualify every three months. They are 32NRR Howard Leight (spelling?)

Archived