The MT-07 Forum

What octane gas to use

bmwpowere36m3
Interestingly, the GB Owners Manual says "95!"

GB... Great Britain? 95 RON would be 90-91 PON (for those of us in the US).

• Premium Member
Interestingly, the GB Owners Manual says "95!"
2-2 in engine specification says (regular unleaded gasoline(Gasohol(E10acceptable) but I notice this is also a 11.5:1 compression ration ....... (Hummmmm 
It did say regular unleaded but didn't give an Octane rating

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member

I found this

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/octane-ratings-what-they-mean-to-the-engine-in-your-infiniti.html

Compression ratio = Octane
5:1 =72
6:1 =81
7:1=87
8:1=92
9:1=96
10:1=100
11:1=104
12:1=108

That chart might look a little better with a fixed font and an some HTML tags.

Compression Octane Number Brake Thermal Efficiency
Ratio Requirement ( Full Throttle )
5:1 72 -
6:1 81 25 %
7:1 87 28 %
8:1 92 30 %
9:1 96 32 %
10:1 100 33 %
11:1 104 34 %
another chart so on this theory higher Octane is better for our engines RIGHT?

bmwpowere36m3
I found this  
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/octane-ratings-what-they-mean-to-the-engine-in-your-infiniti.html

Compression ratio = Octane
5:1 =72
6:1 =81
7:1=87
8:1=92
9:1=96
10:1=100
11:1=104
12:1=108

That chart might look a little better with a fixed font and an some HTML tags.

Compression Octane Number Brake Thermal Efficiency
Ratio Requirement ( Full Throttle )
5:1 72 -
6:1 81 25 %
7:1 87 28 %
8:1 92 30 %
9:1 96 32 %
10:1 100 33 %
11:1 104 34 %
another chart so on this theory higher Octane is better for our engines RIGHT?

Static compression ratio (what's called out in the manual/specs) is one thing, but dynamic is another... just run regular or 87 octane.

• Premium Member

I believe that some people seem to be getting OCTANE RATINGS confused as if 91 is a better quality fuel then 87. People have this misconception in their mind and its wrong. If you have a high compression engine then you're required to use higher octane fuel so the higher compression doesn't ignite the fuel before its suppose to by the engine. Also know as pre-combustion. You will get that known engine knock because of improper fuel. Higher octane doesn't mean better quality fuel. Octane just prevents the fuel from igniting before its suppose to be ignited.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

So I made up my mind on this I called several people and got a different answer each time

bmwpowere36m3

I wonder why its sooo hard to just follow[strong] what's in the owner's manual[/strong]... Running higher than necessary octane doesn't hurt, but doesn't help either. Just stick to buying fuel from big brand stations (Shell, BP, Citgo, 76, Sunoco, etc..) that see a lot of traffic (then you know the fuel is always fresh).
Man these are just like oil threads... ;)

That octane list/compression ratio is a very old list based on old style squish chambers. In 1984 Honda was making motors with 10.5:1 that would run on regular ( I'll leave the octane rating out here as there are 3 common differing ones). Since then swirl patterns and combustion chamber shapes have changed considerably and motors will run quite high comp ratios without detonating incorrectly. Head chamber shapes is one of the reasons that US ( and Australian ones) cars had to run premium gasoline for a long time as the retained the kidney shaped reccess with a flat section long after the Jap and euros went to graduated squish shapes. Crysler , I think made the first modern head shapes in the States.
Nowdays a direct octane/compression list can't be universal. The old list is based on critical pressure at optimium air fuel ratio. Critical pressure is the pressure and temperature at which a gas ( mix in this case) will spontaneously combust.
Honestly, there are lots of areas where one should not implicitly trust the manufacture recommendations, but fuel type iSN't one of them. Unless racing (especially withwith modded motors) use what the manufacturer of the motorcycle recommends. On that note the Australian castrated model will run on standard no matter what the manual says, as it has lower compression and CANNOT run at wide open throttle ( unless you modify the throttle plate).

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

It WAS true...once. Still is if you have an old head design with a not full piston area parallel head/piston face.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

I wonder why its sooo hard to just follow what's in the owner's manual... Running higher than necessary octane doesn't hurt, but doesn't help either. Just stick to buying fuel from big brand stations (Shell, BP, Citgo, 76, Sunoco, etc..) that see a lot of traffic (then you know the fuel is always fresh).

Read more: http://fz07.org/thread/2000/octane-gas-use?page=1#ixzz3gcZtWJds

Sunoco is no longer a top tier gas.

bmwpowere36m3
I wonder why its sooo hard to just follow what's in the owner's manual... Running higher than necessary octane doesn't hurt, but doesn't help either. Just stick to buying fuel from big brand stations (Shell, BP, Citgo, 76, Sunoco, etc..) that see a lot of traffic (then you know the fuel is always fresh). 

Read more: http://fz07.org/thread/2000/octane-gas-use?page=1#ixzz3gcZtWJds

Sunoco is no longer a top tier gas.
What am I supposed to read more about...?  I used to be a big stickler for the "top tier" gas, but to be honest I've never had issues with any gas.  What I do avoid is those independent kwiki-marts if I can.  Otherwise, its mostly Shell and Citgo since their close by. 

who ever got the cheapest gas price always sells the most gas, so its always fresh. that's what I do and I save money.

• 5 years later...

Someone said it earlier.   The bike requires RON 95.  RON 95 is 90.7 octane.  Plus is only at 89 octane.   So you have to run Premium fuel, 91+

please stop being cheap and treat your toys with the fuel it needs to keep that big a$$ smile on your face.

C3888B1F-B403-4588-9B76-C6BB31AA1D3B.png

• Global Moderator

@Jjeromeg1, the owners manual says regular, including E10 is fine.  I suspect most people here are using that and I have heard no complaints about it.  

E6532A83-B8C8-4FE0-835A-F1A0B4212CD8.png

• Like 1

@mjh937

thanks for the reply.  Truly conflicting data.  

Acceptable- doesn’t really mean it’s what should be used.   It’s bare minimum to run, to be used, to work...

I found this MT07 owners manual online too.   Did the motor change at all during the name change of the FZ07?

notice the verbiage about 95 RON

78B80DE6-23B0-4066-9118-956245D4845C.png

Edited by Jjeromeg1