The MT-07 Forum

What octane gas to use

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Regular unleaded gasoline, E10 acceptable.

In my area that's 87 octane.

• Like 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

87 octane is all that is needed for the FZ-07. The FZ-09 needs 91 or higher octane. Using 91 octane isn't helping anything in the 07. Just use 87 octane, the engine was designed for it.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

Ask the dealer that says it needs premium where in the owners manual it says that (hint: it doesn't, it says regular).

• Like 2

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

There was a discussion on here a while back about the RON being 91 for 87 octane gasoline. That may be what's confusing some people.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Guest whitegas

I've learned from people's dealings with dealerships on here and other motorcycle forums is that dealership employees are as knowledgeable as walmart employees.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

+1 on the 87.

Like mentioned above, there has been discussion. Seems there are manuals that differ in how it explains what gas to use... or a differ in how one interprets the manual. 8-|

• Like 1

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Global Moderator

The European manual that is available to download says premium. The North American one says regular. The other thread about it goes in to more detail.

• 1 month later...

You dont NEED high octane but I always run it cause you will get less carbon build up over time. Plus the difference in price on 3 gallons is peanuts compared to the advantages

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I was putting 92, but now I will be switching to 87..thanks for the feedback

• Premium Member
snowdriftless
87 octane is all that is needed for the FZ-07. The FZ-09 needs 91 or higher octane. Using 91 octane isn't helping anything in the 07. Just use 87 octane, the engine was designed for it.

You dont NEED high octane but I always run it cause you will get less carbon build up over time. Plus the difference in price on 3 gallons is peanuts compared to the advantages

Compression ratio dictates what Octane to use. The FZ-07 has 11.5:1 and the FZ-09 also has 11.5:1. I don't see why you need to use premium in either. That being said I fill up mine with premium because I don't like E10.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

Ditto on all the reasons why you can just use 87 and that 87 is what is recommended. If you feel better using higher octane that's your prerogative.

Note that if you fill up at a pump that only has one single pump for all three grades, you're most likely getting a bunch of 87 anyway because that's what's in the hose from the last guy to fill up at that pump.

• Like 1

Life is good on 2 wheels!

squintyeyes

Guys over at Dobeck said they used 91 premium when running their maps for the fz07, so that's what i fill with. Also i swear while working on the bike i saw a sticker on the front fork tube that said it uses premium. 

There was a discussion on here a while back about the RON being 91 for 87 octane gasoline. That may be what's confusing some people.
This.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

I've learned from people's dealings with dealerships on here and other motorcycle forums is that dealership employees are as knowledgeable as walmart employees.
lol! You mean their I.Q.'s are dropping faster than Walmart's prices?! Hey, a guy in my Yamaha service dept. told me I couldn't use synthetic oil because it wasn't compatible with the clutch. I think he fits your description.

Beemer

Ditto on all the reasons why you can just use 87 and that 87 is what is recommended. If you feel better using higher octane that's your prerogative.  
Note that if you fill up at a pump that only has one single pump for all three grades, you're most likely getting a bunch of 87 anyway because that's what's in the hose from the last guy to fill up at that pump.
You'll get some but I have the habit of lifting the hose to get all that I paid for and you don't get much extra when you drain the hose completely. You'll be lucky to get 6 ounces more. Try it some time, you'll see.

Beemer

If the engine is tuned for 87 you will see zero performance increase from it. 93 is not a higher quality fuel, it is just less prone to pre ignition, or knock. If you want to run a quality fuel look at running only top tier fuels. If you have a custom tune made while running 93 octane, then you'll need to run 93 or run the risk of hearing you engine making popcorn, followed by your piston rings coming out your exhaust pipe.

• Premium Member
If the engine is tuned for 87 you will see zero performance increase from it. 93 is not a higher quality fuel, it is just less prone to pre ignition, or knock. If you want to run a quality fuel look at running only top tier fuels. If you have a custom tune made while running 93 octane, then you'll need to run 93 or run the risk of hearing you engine making popcorn, followed by your piston rings coming out your exhaust pipe.
Yes you are correct It make a difference in forced induction higher compression but not on our bike. Compression ratio is what tell you what your Octane level is for your set up.  

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/fuel-consumption/question90.htm

Learn something new everyday

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

Compression ratio dictates what Octane to use. The FZ-07 has 11.5:1 and the FZ-09 also has 11.5:1. I don't see why you need to use premium in either. That being said I fill up mine with premium because I don't like E10.

Compression & timing dictate octane requirements. The 09 runs much higher timing.The Mazda cx5 has high compression but mild timing which is why it runs 87 too. Using 91 on the 07 wouldn't hurt, could even cause more carbon build up because the fuel isn't being burned as efficiently. There's more energy in a gallon of 87 than 91 believe it or not..the 07 needs 86 or higher per the manuel so 87 is good

• Premium Member
Compression & timing dictate octane requirements. The 09 runs much higher timing.The Mazda cx5 has high compression but mild timing which is why it runs 87 too. Using 91 on the 07 wouldn't hurt, could even cause more carbon build up because the fuel isn't being burned as efficiently. There's more energy in a gallon of 87 than 91 believe it or not..the 07 needs 86 or higher per the manuel so 87 is good
This -- timing matters along with compression.   11.5:1 is quite high in a car, and would usually call for premium (91).  I had an Infiniti G35 that was like that, and a long time ago a Beetle Turbo S.  Most other vehicles I have owned work just fine with regular (87).

Head design also influences the compression ratio at which you need to go to a higher octain rating. Until the 80's anything over about 9.5:1 needed higher octane rating fuel. Honda ( inter ailia) started developing head designs that got rid of the boundary layer squish bands in petrol motors to help stop preignition ( knocking). Modern head chamber designs can get 11 even 11.5 without knocking especially with lean running motors.
Higher octane fuel does NOT give you more power than lower octane. The higher the octane rating, the harder it is to get the fuel to burn. As you raise the compression the fuel gets easier to burn until it gets so easy to burn that it reaches critical pressure, where it ignites without a spark ( diesel work this way). In a petrol motor this is not good. So you have to use higher octane rating fuel to increase the pressure at which it would spontaneously ignite to be above the actual cyl pressure.
ALL of this is at or near wide open throttle as at partial throttles there is lower cyl pressures, although it possible it raise the compression ratio so high that it will diesel at idle ( I did this by accident with a Datsun 1600 motor once).
So in most cases for most people higher octane rating will be a waste of money. High octane rating fuel will NOT burn cleaner, in fact it is likely that you will have more unburnt and partially burnt fuel as it needs more energy to get a complete burn.
The above discussion is relative to petrol ( gas in the US. Strange thing to call something athat isn't a gas but a liquid but...) .
Alcohol ( ethyl and methyl) at the correct ratio has a MUCH higher activation energy, burns cleaner, but has less power at the same compressions for the same amount of fuel.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...