Sign in to follow this  

What octane gas to use

hippiebikerchick
Regular unleaded gasoline, E10 acceptable.

In my area that's 87 octane.
  • Like 1

profipix
Why is there a rumor going around that it has to be premium (92)? Not true?

tim0s002
I would like to know as well. the mech at the dealer said I need premium (91) too.

Riverfox
87 octane is all that is needed for the FZ-07. The FZ-09 needs 91 or higher octane. Using 91 octane isn't helping anything in the 07. Just use 87 octane, the engine was designed for it.
  • Like 1

mjh937
Ask the dealer that says it needs premium where in the owners manual it says that (hint: it doesn't, it says regular).
  • Like 2

hippiebikerchick
There was a discussion on here a while back about the RON being 91 for 87 octane gasoline. That may be what's confusing some people.

Guest whitegas
I've learned from people's dealings with dealerships on here and other motorcycle forums is that dealership employees are as knowledgeable as walmart employees.
  • Like 3

motomeek
+1 on the 87.

Like mentioned above, there has been discussion. Seems there are manuals that differ in how it explains what gas to use... or a differ in how one interprets the manual. 8-|

• Like 1

mjh937
The European manual that is available to download says premium. The North American one says regular. The other thread about it goes in to more detail.

cmar143
You dont NEED high octane but I always run it cause you will get less carbon build up over time. Plus the difference in price on 3 gallons is peanuts compared to the advantages
  • Like 2

tino206
I was putting 92, but now I will be switching to 87..thanks for the feedback

snowdriftless
87 octane is all that is needed for the FZ-07. The FZ-09 needs 91 or higher octane. Using 91 octane isn't helping anything in the 07. Just use 87 octane, the engine was designed for it.

You dont NEED high octane but I always run it cause you will get less carbon build up over time. Plus the difference in price on 3 gallons is peanuts compared to the advantages

Compression ratio dictates what Octane to use. The FZ-07 has 11.5:1 and the FZ-09 also has 11.5:1. I don't see why you need to use premium in either. That being said I fill up mine with premium because I don't like E10.

aeisan
Ditto on all the reasons why you can just use 87 and that 87 is what is recommended. If you feel better using higher octane that's your prerogative.

Note that if you fill up at a pump that only has one single pump for all three grades, you're most likely getting a bunch of 87 anyway because that's what's in the hose from the last guy to fill up at that pump.
  • Like 1

squintyeyes
Guys over at Dobeck said they used 91 premium when running their maps for the fz07, so that's what i fill with. Also i swear while working on the bike i saw a sticker on the front fork tube that said it uses premium.