The MT-07 Forum

Best bar end mirrors?

I got some cheap bar end mirrors. I want ones that stick out far so I can really look behind me. I don't care what they look like. Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Please post a picture of what you've currently got so that as the other posters said, we can recommend something that will offer a wider viewing angle than what you've currently got.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

I think the CRG arrow mirrors and Driven Racing D-Axis Bar End Mirrors both look good. They keep the "Pointy" Profile of the original mirrors. They are both around $100.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

100 dollars PER mirror. :)

Its not cheap for a set.

The only thing keeping me from going with expensive bar end mirrors is that in the case of a drop, or a minor lowside, the mirror is going to sacrifice itself to the asphalt gods.

Whereas you can buy essentially 10 SETS of cheap, chinese mirrors for the cost of one CRG or D axis.

This may be a stupid line of thinking but...that's where my head is at right now after low siding.

I got a $29.95 set from Cycle Gear in chrome even, not black which matches the bike, because they were on sail. I don't care that much about the shape, but how far out they may extend, and they are good convex mirrors so I can see right behind me at a light, etc.

Question.

The ends of the OEM bars are threaded. How are you guys getting your adapters into the bar end?

Are the threads on the bar removable or are they a part of the bar itself?

I removed one of the bar-end weights and took it to my local plumbing supply store. I purchased a 3" piece of copper pipe just large enough to slip over the threads on the bar-end weight. When I got home, I cut the pipe to the desired length needed, slipped it over the threads of the bar-end weight and reinstalled the weight. This tube acts as a "spacer" and allows me to clamp my bar-end mirrors directly to my bar-end weight -- no need to mess around with those expanding adaptors. I used CRG Blindsight mirrors and have good visibility with them.

Guest whitegas
Question. 
The ends of the OEM bars are threaded. How are you guys getting your adapters into the bar end?

Are the threads on the bar removable or are they a part of the bar itself?
The threading is part of the bar itself as far as I can tell.

If you prefer to use threaded bar end with an adapter built in (basically similar to OEM bar ends) you can go with rhinomoto.  

rhino moto fz style bar end

As you can see it has a built in adapter, plus it screws in just like OEM. Note, these will probably only work with CRG mirrors. It will not work with some Rizoma mirros with thick stalks.

Otherwise most people are just using the tension bar ends which may or may not mess up the threading inside the handlebars.

The home-made copper sleeve method does work as well, I made a pair except they once again do not work with Rizoma with thick stalks sadly because they pose a huge danger on the throttle side as it basically butts up against the throttle. But they are perfect for CRG mirrors.

squintyeyes
100 dollars PER mirror. :) 
Its not cheap for a set.

The only thing keeping me from going with expensive bar end mirrors is that in the case of a drop, or a minor lowside, the mirror is going to sacrifice itself to the asphalt gods.

Whereas you can buy essentially 10 SETS of cheap, chinese mirrors for the cost of one CRG or D axis.

This may be a stupid line of thinking but...that's where my head is at right now after low siding.
I have the Crg lane splitters with Rhino bar end mounts and i love them and i feel they are worth every penny and im reminded every time i switch lanes. Crg also sell replacement mirrors in case you drop and they shatter. The metal feels sturdy enough that they wont break and since i have the lane splitters they should just fold in during impact like my folding levers.  

SouthernSpeed

I have had the cheapo ones on lots of cafe bikes in the past. They usually shake a lot and i can not see clearly in them, or they fold back over 70mph, or just don't have a good angle on the mirror. This is the first time having the nice crg ones on the FZ and man are they worth it. Going to buy a set for some of the other bikes now. So much nicer and I can see out of them about as well as the factory mirrors. I got the CRG blindsight 2" mirrors, but you could get the 3" hindsight ones if you wanted to see a bit more. The 2" ones I got were $45 each I think. I just made a spacer and used the factory bar ends. Probably my favorite mod so far, until I decide on an exhaust.

BMocaiQ.jpg

The torque on this thing is pretty addictive....

I picked up some cheapo Ebay mirrors that seem to be working fairly well although i will admit that the field of view is quite small. I think it has to do with the mounting position but i can at least see around my shoulders now.

Pics will be inbound soon!

Archived