The MT-07 Forum

This is cool -- Jarvis for your bike

so1102

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

That is pretty cool. Imagine using your smart phone as a key for your motorcycle. You put your smart phone in a cradle where the instrument panel would be. You press the start button and the dash pops up on the cellphone screen. You can customize the dash layout. Error messages will give you a paragraph as opposed to a blinking light. Any calls you get will pop up on your dash, and then you can answer with a Bluetooth headset integrated into your helmet. The future is now!

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

That's cool, but I'd dream of taking it a step further.  Think instead of our little LCD Tach/Info display featuring last decade's technology, the bike could just have a little Bluetooth Tx and cradle for your regular Android/iOS phone.  Then you are just an App Store download away from a full information  panel on your phone with full voice control (different readouts, GPS, calls, etc) via your bluetooth headset...

Its all actually feasible to do all with current tech, you'd just need someone who knows what they're doing with the app design.

The current Aprilia Caponord has an iPhone app that allows you to see ECU map info and a whole bunch of other stuff.

For those of you who like adding lights electrical accessories or changing ECU maps etc., the words Can-bus should throw up warning flags. That type of wiring system puts the brakes on doing much of any electrical or ECU related mod. The dealer would have to do these things and they'd have to be "approved". If you added a headlight modulator, for instance, he better remove them before hooking the bike up to the diagnostic computer. Bad things happen when the diagnostic computer sees stuff that it thinks shouldn't be there.

I'm perfectly happy to have last decades tech.

BTW, speakers in helmets , earplugs, anything deemed to "impair hearing" are not legal in a lot of states - including PA where I live. Best to not have wires or anything visible.

• Premium Member

Earplugs illegal?! I'm a bigger criminal than I thought.

Everything went braap.

In America, damn near everything is illegal. We are nt very good at taking old laws ff the books. An this leads to another stat that we are number at. Incarceration rates per capita. Where we incarcerate even more of our citizens than even Siberia Russia.

But with that said, i still ride with headphones in my ears jamming to Tool, Perfect Circle, etc, etc.

I won't ride my Aprilia w/o plugs. The wind noise (aka roar) coming off the fairing is just too dang loud. The unfaired FZ is not too bad. And imo, fatigue from that noise is far more dangerous than what traffic noise (or sirens) is lost thru the earplugs.

The statute here isn't specific. it just says anything that impairs hearing. I think a car stereo cranked up way loud can qualify. Some would argue the helmet does that. This state now allows going w/o after the age of 18 and 2 years riding experience. Yeah, like that would be smart. I'd feel nekkid w/o the lid. And my hearing appreciates the decades I've broken the law with those foam plugs.

Prisons make money. Schools spend money. It's all about the money.

Archived