The MT-07 Forum

OEM Handlebar flip and turn

yosshaa

Searched but was unable to find anything concrete besides someone who put clubman bars on their MT07.

Have you flipped/reversed your oem MT07/FZ07 handlebars? If so, do they clear the gas tank or impede the turning radius? Do you have pictures?
I'm trying to get an idea for how they look and if there is noticeable clearance issues. 

This thread is not meant to be anyone's soapbox on geometry, platform of choice, or anymore than helpful concrete information.

Thanks in advance and ride safe!

No, however I do have rentals that are bent downwards and they do clear the gas tank. The wires will touch and at full lock your fingers get squished between the bar/tank but otherwise they are fine. In the lock position nothing touches.

Didn't use the OEM bars but an inexpensive off the shelf 7/8" steel dirt bike handlebar that was <$25 at the local moto shop.
It had a crossmember that I cut off to be able to invert it. I also had to sand off the powder coat on the non-throttle side to allow the throttle to move freely.
Will be keeping it like this for awhile since the advantages outweigh the disadvantages at the moment.

IMG-20150304-00752_zpsjzzshieh.jpg

• Global Moderator

Just looking at it I do not think you will have the clearance to flip the bars. There is quite bit of rise to them.

Very cool, thanks for posting a picture, do you have any from the side?
Also did you change the way your gauges mount

Didn't use the OEM bars but an inexpensive off the shelf 7/8" steel dirt bike handlebar that was <$25 at the local moto shop. It had a crossmember that I cut off to be able to invert it. I also had to sand off the powder coat on the non-throttle side to allow the throttle to move freely.
Will be keeping it like this for awhile since the advantages outweigh the disadvantages at the moment.

IMG-20150304-00752_zpsjzzshieh.jpg

Just looking at it I do not think you will have the clearance to flip the bars. There is quite bit of rise to them.
How many inches or mm would you say the rise is?

• Global Moderator

I am at work until Monday so cannot measure it. Hopefully somebody here can. I hate to guess. I am bad at guessing lengths.

What are the advantages?
Advantages: 1 - moves your weight forward. 
2 - places you in a better position to combat the wind blast
3 - increases front wheel feedback and minimizes the "vagueness" people complain about the stock riding position
4 - lowers your center of gravity
5 - reduces front wheel lift on quick take offs
6 - dirt bike width bars helps reduce headshake 
7 - easier to tuck w/o feeling like your hands are at ear level
8 - looks awesome, but that's subjective

Disadvanges:
1 - less comfortable at distances or longer rides
2 - bars are wide, so it's harder to split lanes 
3 - stock gauge position is under your nose and close to your chest, so you have to move your head to see your gauges. (But as you can see from the pics, I made a bracket to move the gauges to above the headlight. So, once the gauges are relocated, this should be placed in the advantages. Now you don't have to drop your head to see the gauges anymore. You just have to move your eyes down and the gauges are in your field of view)
4 - you have to modify the look of your bike. The lower side fairings with the fake air intakes (dark grey plastics with texture and the Yamaha emblem) need to be removed due to clearance issues at full lock. Once those are removed you have to relocate the ecu and the voltage regulator. 
5 - the crappiness of the suspension becomes way more appearant in this riding position. Cause it encourages riding more aggressively in the twisties. 

I ride both dirt and super sport bikes. With the stock riding position, I kept riding this bike like a dirt bike and counter-shifting my weight to the outside and dropping a foot like a motard. Now it's more sporty, but not as aggressive as a set of clip-ons that sit below the triple clamp and angle downward like a super sport. 

here it is at 3/4 rear view.

moto_zpscxmwycn4.jpg

Cool. Your cable look a bit pissoff! LOL Make sure the bend is not too tight... smooth radius will make the cables last longer. Same on the clutch side.

There was few FZ09 clutch cable failure from a wrong bend...

• 6 months later...
Did you fabricate the plate holding your digital gauge? I love the placement of it.
I did. 1/8" flat aluminum sheet, a couple of drilled holes and 2 bends. Not a difficult feat of fabricating by any means to have the gauges in the perfect spot.

It does disturb the lines of the front section of the bike. There's definitely a more elegant solution, but that would involve more time then I was willing to invest. I just wanna ride...

• Premium Member

Nice. I may have to play around with this idea a bit. My woodcraft clipons came in and I'd hate to cover that nice adapter plate up with the gauge. Thanks for the response.

"Harder to lane split"

Welp, that crosses it off my list, but I would like to see more pics. That low rear shot doesn't really tell much of the story.

"Harder to lane split" 
Welp, that crosses it off my list, but I would like to see more pics. That low rear shot doesn't really tell much of the story.
That's the reason why I reverted back to right side up. Went with a narrower low bend bar that I had on a different bike and rotated my handle bar mount 180*. It gave me a little more room for my long torso. I was able to rotate my hbar mount cause my speedo isn't attached to it anymore. I also reinstalled my side panels cause my ecu was exposed and could easily be removed, since its held on by a rubber band.

I'm still in a forward position but not as aggressive. Ergos are good for now, till get bored and want to change it again. This bike just begs to be tinkered with and ridden hard.

My mirrors tap enough as it is. I'm going to go to some bar end mounts that sit above the grips (not the little discs that stick out)

Archived