The MT-07 Forum

Skully helmet

appatil

• Premium Member

Yeah I had a hard time parting with almost $600 for my Arai -- I couldn't imagine spending $1500 on a helmet. :)

Im a new rider and the only downside to riding is that i cannot see behind me. Im always respectful of the bike and mindful of riding within my limits but the only thing that still makes me nervous is the fact that i cannot see behind me and people are tailgaiting assholes.

IF the helmet is a quality piece and it actually works, ill be getting one. I am NEVER a first generation technology adopter so we will have to see how this actually pans out. I would expect there to be quite a few revisions before its optimally functional and i refuse to plunk down 1500 bucks on a non refined product.

The greatest thing about this product is that it will set a precedent and as we all know, technology filters downhill and becomes less expensive over time. IF this helmet works and it is revolutionary, we should see offshoots of this tech in just a few years at extremely reduced prices.

• Premium Member

$1500 helmet with $1450 worth of electronics. Honestly unless they've changed something since I last saw in their beta program these are junk helmets. I like the concept but I value the quality and standards of my helmet.

• Premium Member

I'd rather just use the Nuviz on my existing helmet. Still no ETA to market, but it shouldn't be too long.

Heads up displays are new in the consumer market, but have had military applications for some time.

Everything went braap.

I'd rather just use the Nuviz on my existing helmet. Still no ETA to market, but it shouldn't be too long. 
Heads up displays are new in the consumer market, but have had military applications for some time.
Off to the googs to google Nuviz...

Guest whitegas

Took me a few seconds to realize it is a mirror system. Old school tech!! As far as the nuviz, unless I'm missing something, I didn't see a rear view cam system.

If you read the FAQ, the Nuviz guys try and downplay the rear view camera in that they say it is overly distracting and NOT a good safety tool.

Im not sure i buy that but i guess id have to see...har...see...

• Premium Member

I'm not into the rear view camera. If that's your main squeeze though, you can probably save 500-1,300 bones and rig up your own monitoring system with a camera mounted on the rear fed to a gps unit, or cellular.

Everything went braap.

Guest whitegas

IMO, that's the only real selling point for the Skully. Making calls and such, Sena. GPS? RAMM mount. The skully has no other features making it worthwhile except the rear view cam.   And that's not even getting into the realm of how good their helmet quality really is.

As such the only people who will buy Nuviz are the people who just really want to spend money on something- anything for their bike. And I don't say that as a bad thing as I'm usually one of those people. For pete's sake I just spent 200 bucks on a helmet camera... and I already own a helmet camera!

whtmakaveli
I own this.  It is nothing like a real rearview mirror, very distorted, and the angle you ride/hold your head at is crucial for it to working at all.  You can however tell if someone is behind you or not with a quick glance/move of your head.  Overall it is OK, but I wouldn't buy it again.   

fromthecage

Like @gaz, I've heard mixed reviews about their hemlet quality vs the electronic "cool factor". personally, I'm just fine with a Sena and don't need the extra added crap in my face. Think of it this way, sunvisors make a helmet fail SNELL rating because of the structural integrity of fitting the slide-down visor inside the shell. Imagine a helmet hiding those electronics.

• Premium Member

I don't even have any sort of bluetooth communicator. I kinda like having my phone zipped away in my jacket where it cannot bother me. It's like a little vacation whenever I ride :)

fromthecage

@so1102 I typically use mine for music while I ride. I think I've answered 1 phone call on the bike. Plus my wife likes having the peace of mind that she can reach me while I'm riding (as she bought me the Sena for christmas)

Archived