Sign in to follow this  
schalicke

Post Your Rear Shock Setting...

schalicke
I am very curious what other riders have their stock rear spring set at. Please, list the following information in regards to this. 

Weight: 145lb - 155lb with full gear
Setting: 5th notch above the softest setting. (I go by the following 1 softest - 5 middle - 10 stiffest)
Ride style: I feel I am fairly aggressive in the canyons but no track star.

Extra: Every once in a while I will give my 75lb son a ride and I do not feel I need to change the suspension. I drive very calm with him on the back.

I do not feel like my abilities are out performing the suspension yet. However, I am saving $ to upgrade it when my riding improves.
NGMfabO.jpgI don’t really know what to feel for in suspension. I figure when I feel the bike not doing what I want or doing things I don’t want. I will know to change it. Too soft it will feel spongy & too stiff it will feel jarring.

pantheraleo

Preload set at 7.

I'm undecided on the suspension. I think its okay so far, but I haven't tested the FZ fully yet. I just got it a couple of weeks ago, and the weather has sucked.

crazycracka501
155 fully geared. I have it set to 10 and does okay most of the time. My 100lb wife on the back really works the soft suspension. At this point I'm looking to switch out the oil in the front to help out. I want to start track days so I really need a better suspension....and sliders lol.

gtmn
155 and 100 for a passenger
dude im more then that and then a passenger
then we talk about soft suspension
I would think a fz-07 would be right up your alley
I think I drink way to muck beer for me to ever be 155
I really need to exercise

• Like 1

rowdy
I haven't actually looked close to verify, but I think the service guy said mine was on two when I bought it. I weigh 145, and it doesn't feel too bad (keep in mind, I'm still in break-in). What would you guys recommend for a setting?

crazycracka501
155 and 100 for a passenger dude im more then that and then a passenger
then we talk about soft suspension
I would think a fz-07 would be right up your alley
I think I drink way to muck beer for me to ever be 155
I really need to exercise

lol, to be fair I ride the balls off of it to the best of my ability.  We have some steep grades and mean twisties in several canyons and mountain roads around here, I find them and try to shred them....key word is try.  Once you get moving with real speed through the turns (especially downhill), you can really feel the soft suspension mainly in the front.  It feels like the front and rear suspension almost fight each other.  I am not the most experienced rider in the world hence why I want to start track days and get some professional coaching while there.
  • Like 2

socal
I'm 250 with no gear and ride pretty hard. Coming from my r1 with racetech front Springs this thing is soft. Wish I was 150 lol. Need better suspension for sure. Running full stiff here for now.

rubberbandman72
I run mine on 7. I'm 5'10" @ 180lbs. Around 1.5" of static sag at the rear.

mjh937
Mine is set at six. I am 205 without gear, so probably about 220 all kitted out. I was thinking of going up to eight but have not around to doing it yet.
  • Like 1

Guest Ralph
200 lb + gear on 7 feels about right but if it had damping adjustment I would be turning it up a bit.
No problems with the front but get a better rear shock and likely would have.
Not to self "Eat less pies  and bacon butties"
  • Like 1

pattonme
> Around 1.5" of static sag at the rear

yikes, it that for real? Static sag for shock (measured from axle straight up to a convenient part of bodywork) should be 15-20mm. On forks it should be 30-35mm. Rider on-board should add 10mm in front and about 5-10 in rear. Good suspension is all about compliance and composure. There is precious little rebound damping at either end.
  • Like 1

pantheraleo
> Around 1.5" of static sag at the rear 
yikes, it that for real? Static sag for shock (measured from axle straight up to a convenient part of bodywork) should be 15-20mm. On forks it should be 30-35mm. Rider on-board should add 10mm in front and about 5-10 in rear. Good suspension is all about compliance and composure. There is precious little rebound damping at either end.
Nice catch, I skimmed it and read that as 1.5 cm....has to be a typo...?

dewski
what is it normally set as stock? I have not touched mine yet

tanner68
The basic stock setting is three.

I am 190 pounds. With clothes and gear and a tail bag, I am well north of 200lbs. I have moved the setting one click at a time at a very patient pace, with several hundred miles between changes, and am now at six. And it keeps improving.

Guest Ralph
The suspension like other bit's of the bike run in and mine is much better
as far as smoothness goes at 2500 miles than when new.