The MT-07 Forum

Shock upgrades and compatible swaps

pattonme

I was looking for cheap but better then stock rear shock. Problem is with no place for resivor for shocks like R6, CBR, GSXR etc. It has to be mounted on line (resivor) or on left or right side of shock (not top or bottom like normaly). The CBR F4i looks good but its shorter by 2cm. I chosed Aprilia Tuono 2007 and made custom mount for it. It is still soft but much better then stock, damping is simply mindblowing better and you can adjust it!

IMG_20150722_235528_zpsxzcicd4e.jpg

IMG_20150723_002541_zpshafsugle.jpg

IMG_20150723_003012_zpsainckcwp.jpg

IMG_20150723_014406_zpsymjtwzc2.jpg

IMG_20150723_110038_zps67cvd2a1.jpg

• Like 1

nicely done @ok. I have a 2012 ZX10 shock headed my way for giggles. It's the right length, right travel.
Can you post the dimensions of the 'L' arm and the relative positions of the 3 sets of holes?

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

pattonme top will fit because resivour is on left site, but you will have to made same suspension bone like me. Nice find i will look for such shock for my MT :D . I will measure suspension bone in 2 days. 

• 2 weeks later...

added new supplier Yacugar out of Holland. And international supplier of YSS shocks at good prices.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with the OE shock is the lack of damping control. changing the leverage by messing with the dogbone length won't change that. Pretty much any aftermarket, monotube shock (or better yet, piggyback/remote res) with at least adjustable rebound damping will work far, far better.

If the OE spring isn't strong enough for your weight, it would be easier and cheaper to swap in a higher rate spring. Besides, most of these aftermarket shocks have alloy cores, so are noticeably lighter, add that in to the pluses.

• 1 month later...
bmwpowere36m3
nicely done @ok. I have a 2012 ZX10 shock headed my way for giggles. It's the right length, right travel. Can you post the dimensions of the 'L' arm and the relative positions of the 3 sets of holes?
Any update?

• Premium Member
EPM performance (supplier of Hyperpro and Wilburs) is offering a Spring season discount 
Hyperpro - $50 off shock and 50 off hydrolic-preload (date unknown)
Wilburs - $70 off shocks until June 21

Wiburs makes a pretty nice shock. Lots of guys put them on the Futura way back and were very happy. Even with 70 bucks off, quality doesn't come cheap. 
I have Wilburs shock and springs on my FZ-07 and think this possible one of the best changes I've done on this bike. 

Love to ride!

Yeah @OK, got those plate dimensions? I'd summon @gregjet from the underworld ;) but he doesn't have his measurements.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

That is one set of demensions I think I still have.
I found these in pencil with the words "link real measured" on the drawing.
These are only measurements between holes (C2C). 152 between the bone and shock hole, 66mm between bone and knuckle swingarm pivot holes, and 103mm between KSAP hole and shock mount. They are the only ones I had for the suspension calcs.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Would you guys generally recommend the Ohlins S46DR1 or the Nitron NTR1 shock, from personal experience and knowledge of the build quality etc?

I have the Ohlins S46DR and it is a good choice for high performance street use. I don't like the combined rebound/compression adjustment feature of the NTR1 as compression dampening is normally set based on unsprung mass and is not related to rebound which is set based on sprung mass.

I personally prefer Ohlins. I think they are smoother. I did however end up with a nitron for various reasons and I find it hard to tune the minor harshness out ( still more experimenting to go but finding suitable road to test is a problem in this town.

Cheers guys thanks for your input.

I'm currently swaying towards getting the ohlins upgrades front and rear (as they have now brought out their fork cartridge upgrade too).

I haven't heard anybody complain about the ohlins rear spring (in fact I've only read good things about it), so I'm hoping that their front upgrade will be in the same ballpark!

Until I got swept up in the Andreani/Ohlins deal last summer, I had planned to buy the base Nitron Shock.

For the Ohlins, I had to back the rebound adjuster 7 clicks softer than the recommended base setting (which is 14) to get rid of that last bit of harshness. Can live with it as is, but I'd still prefer to soften up the front a bit. Will need to speak to Mr. Pattonme about that. Issue. Even with some room for improvement, I'm pretty pleased with the set-up as is. It's just so much better than the cheap OE bits.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The FZ07 uses a screwball length. Some claim it could stand more ride height but given it's already aggressive trail numbers I don't think that's a really a good idea to go too far. That said @andy (of FZ07R fame) has his jacked up a healthy amount but how much of the resulting instability is addressed via the mandatory steering damper I don't know. Lots of shocks in the 320 length category...

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I think I am one of the few that have jacked up the rear but I have always liked steep front ends, so I certainly wouldn't use my experience as a guide.

• Global Moderator
The FZ07 uses a screwball length. Some claim it could stand more ride height but given it's already aggressive trail numbers I don't think that's a really a good idea to go too far. That said @andy (of FZ07R fame) has his jacked up a healthy amount but how much of the resulting instability is addressed via the mandatory steering damper I don't know. Lots of shocks in the 320 length category...
any chance you could do a laymans explination for what you were talking about there @pattonme
trail specifically... and what that does for suspension

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• 4 weeks later...
any updates on a straight swap shock?

Am also interested if anyone has discovered a direct swap off another bike. How unique can our bike really be?

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

until someone risks some capital and time to get one of these, the state of the art will not move forward.
**2004-06 CBR1000RR (314, 58) - 12kg/mm

Ebay has several under $30.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Someone will need to take one for the team... lol

That's what I did with the first ZX-10 shock fit on the FZ09. Best $60.00 I spend on my bike so far!