The MT-07 Forum

Shock upgrades and compatible swaps

pattonme

1ton, if I really HAMMER the brakes, I have about 1 inch of travel left.....that's about what I want so I think the travel is about right......reason I'm changing the oil is that I'm not happy with the Spectro...I think it's too temp sensitive....I have some Redline Yellow coming,  and according to the oil chart,

http://mahonkin.com/~milktree/motorcycle/fork-oil.html

the redline is a bunch better, and just about 1.5 heavier to begin with.....which shouldn't change the compression damping much, but it should impact the rebound after it warms up  more....  (I hope anyhow)....we'll see next week...I'll keep ya

posted....I also weigh 235 with gear so that may impact your thinkin' a bit if you're significantly lighter....

EDITED TO ADD :

I did quite a ride today 60 miles or so, and the front IS some better  ...  I'm thinkin' the oil will fix it...

if it doesn't  I'll call Tod and have him send me a shim to add to the stack....

you might wait on the cartridges til I get this sorted...I think it's agonna work....

Edited by bugsinteeth

41 minutes ago, bugsinteeth said:

1ton, if I really HAMMER the brakes, I have about 1 inch of travel left.....that's about what I want so I think the travel is about right......reason I'm changing the oil is that I'm not happy with the Spectro...I think it's too temp sensitive....I have some Redline Yellow coming,  and according to the oil chart,

http://mahonkin.com/~milktree/motorcycle/fork-oil.html

the redline is a bunch better, and just about 1.5 heavier to begin with.....which shouldn't change the compression damping much, but it should impact the rebound after it warms up  more....  (I hope anyhow)....we'll see next week...I'll keep ya

posted....I also weigh 235 with gear so that may impact your thinkin' a bit if you're significantly lighter....

EDITED TO ADD :

I did quite a ride today 60 miles or so, and the front IS some better  ...  I'm thinkin' the oil will fix it...

if it doesn't  I'll call Tod and have him send me a shim to add to the stack....

you might wait on the cartridges til I get this sorted...I think it's agonna work....

Thanks for the update and what your doing makes sense to me. I am about 35lbs lighter so yea. 
Did you ride again before installing your shock? Shock is a game changer for sure. 
I am holding off on cartridges as I really want this set up to be really good without the added expense. My riding season is coming to an abrupt halt soon anyway so not rushing into anything. 
Thanks for keeping me posted. I am really interested in how the new oil is going to impact everything. 🤞

• 2 months later...

Hi guys. Nice discussion. I was (still am?) decided for Ohlins - brand, nice yellow color (-: mostly positive reaction everywhere + it's easy to buy in my country (SK) what is not a case for Nitron. I'd say Ohlins and Nitron are mentioned here most often but has someone experiences with Hyperpro?

Are these Hyperpro any good or should they be considered as a "install and forget package" for commuters? It seems to me that way, as they package it with oil and progressive front springs. On the other hand - rearshock is the same price as Ohlins and they have even more expensive (+100€) version with ext. reservoir. 

I'm asking because I'm not so sure about Ohlins anymore as I learned here they fit it just with default spring, do not provide option with ext. reservoir (I mean model specific for MT07) what is signal for me, that it's probably budget version and maybe not as good as similar priced product from not so famous brand (Hyperpro?).

The ohlins shock is great for the price, it’s a huge improvement over the standard rubbish. Yes, it comes with a default spring, but it suits a wide range of rider weights. The shock length is not adjustable, but it’s a few millimeters longer than stock which helps geometry.

Upgrading the rear shock is the single biggest improvement you can make to the 07 in my opinion. I was so impressed with the ohlins shock I then fitted their fork cartridges... it’s now sublime on road and track.

FC56E76C-D760-44A0-A7C3-1BF1318BBC71.jpeg

Edited by stickshift
Pic!

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, stickshift said:

The ohlins shock is great for the price, it’s a huge improvement over the standard rubbish. Yes, it comes with a default spring, but it suits a wide range of rider weights. The shock length is not adjustable, but it’s a few millimeters longer than stock which helps geometry.

Upgrading the rear shock is the single biggest improvement you can make to the 07 in my opinion. I was so impressed with the ohlins shock I then fitted their fork cartridges... it’s now sublime on road and track.

FC56E76C-D760-44A0-A7C3-1BF1318BBC71.jpeg

I would agree, I was able to pick one up used with a 130 Nm spring and a 140 Nm installed. It is night and day in comparison to the OEM shock. The 140 Nm seem to suite me well @ 180 ish Lbs no gear. I tend to lose some weight in spring and summer, so I have the other spring 130 Nm option available, if needs be.

1 hour ago, stickshift said:

I couldn't believe the difference with how the bike behaved, I ran it on a twisty road I know well and it became effortless. I too will be upgrading to the Ohlins  NIX-22 cartridges. I have 1 trackday under my belt and all I can say is:

If you haven't done it! Do it. It really is night and day.

The previous owner @cornerslider had his suspension guy  at trackside labs contact me with a whereabouts on the preload and rebound starting point from there Iv'e adjusted to my liking and its outstanding,  140 Nm spring, preload 8 mm from base, rebound 1 out from all the way in.

Its everybody's choice to go with whatever they want manufacturer wise, I'm going with Ohlins.

Looking forward to the cartridges, coming soon.

• 2 years later...
sweetscience
2 hours ago, mt07spHK said:

Does the Ohlins R7 YA587 fit the MT07?

419070593_2021-12-031_02_42.jpg.96ac24b6a808183652cc05d59f0d9d95.jpg

If the length of OEM shock eyelet to eyelet matches the Ohlins at 311.5 mm, then it should fit.  I crossed reference the control arm and dog bones and they are identical.  However, the r7 wet weight  is about 11 lbs. heavier, so the the r7 may have a stiffer spring rate.  

• 3 weeks later...
OrtegaGoon
On 6/30/2017 at 4:41 PM, mccawesome said:

You need to shim the front and rear, as the front eyelet is narrower and the rear is wider(also need a bolt that is 1/2 longer. Fair warning if you don't add enough shims you will crack the case, (hence the visable weld I have yet to paint) it literally has zero give and is really weak laterally. 

I'm really interested in running a 05-06 cbr600rr rear shock  but I don't want to crack my case installing it. My question is when you say "add shims" are we adding shims or washers to the shocks eyelets so they sit properly and bolt up nicely? Or are you talking about actually shimming the clevis and the frame so the bikes rear is slightly raised? 

Edited by OrtegaGoon
I specials

mccawesome

Good thing my password was saved, haven't been on here in a loooong while.  You need to add washers on either side of the shock eyelet(between case and eyelet on both sides). The cbr shock is narrower then the fz07/mt07 shock.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 9/12/2022 at 8:13 PM, sweetscience said:

I'm still waiting for my Bitubo shock.  Fair price for piggy back rezzy and all adjustments.

1282706056_BituboShock.jpg.d3698df1d4a42463567f13cc1826511e.jpg

Any update? How much did you pay? 

sweetscience
On 3/20/2023 at 4:05 PM, pepperona said:

Any update? How much did you pay? 

The shock cost $975.65 CAD back in August 2022.  Plus shipping and import fees from Italy, the total I paid was $1,165.51 CAD.   And that was when the Euro tanked, lol.  

Took about 3-4 weeks to arrive.  They fixed a fitment issue (clearance with the airbox) that plagued the first iteration.  Works great for the streets,  haven't tested it on the twisties, yet.