The MT-07 Forum

Torn between FZ07 and FZ09

guybrush

New member here, greetings from Finland.

I am torn between FZ07 and FZ09 and looking for help to make a choice. The thing is that I cannot test drive them both if I want to have the bike (new) right after the snow melts down. These bikes are too popular, last year people placing their orders in April had to wait for their bikes to arrive untill August in worst case. The season starts mid-april and is over in September. The quota for bikes to be imported to Finland is very small i think and the recent downswing of economy here plays its role. 

So, if things will play out as I suppose, I will have to place my order of my MT (FZ) quite soon. I registered on this forum to get insight and food for thought for my process of making up my mind. Here are some points to consider

- I am 42 years old, bought my first bike when I was 16 (Yamaha TZR 125)
- When I turned to 18 I decided not to buy a car for limited monetary reasons. I bought a brand new Honda CBR 600F (1991)
- Sold my bike after two years and bought a car. Soon realized that the car has to go and traded it in for another Honda CBR 600F
- I was inactive bike-wise for years, in 2006 I bought a Honda CBR 1000 and travelled quite a lot with it
- 5 years ago I got exited about motocross and endurance, bought myself first a KTM EXC 250 and then KTM EXC 530 dirt bikes
- Now I no longer need the CBR 1000 for long weekend trips because I have two little kids now. I have sold the KTMs too. The flame for dirt bikes just died on me despite the fact I like the way they handle. 
- Now I am on the market for a fun bike that is agile, has plenty of torque and is lightweight - like the KTMs. Browsing options has brought me down with two options.... I will carry no passenger nor luggage. 

My thoughts:

Fz-07
- Looks way better
- Better price
- Powerwise...will I be disapointed?
- Suspension... is it better or same as FZ09?

Fz-09
- I propably will not be disappointed with the power
- Suspension sucks, I would not like to do a pricey shock swap

Something making me lean for FZ07 is the cost of insurance. I propably will drive the bike only on sunny sundays and and high-insurance bike standing in carage...nah. However it is a matter of some hundred euros and if FZ07 makes me unhappy powerwise FZ09 would be worth the money. I have got used to high output vehicles, I have many in my carage; 125hp snowmobile, 480 hp Porsche, the CBR...

I just cannot make up my mind. Please help.

• Premium Member

The 07 is pretty damn quick... especially if you don't weigh a ton. I added an exhaust and fuel controller which made a tangible (but small) difference. I don't have a 480 hp Porsche but my FZ keeps me very happy. My car is a hopped up Stingray (Corvette) and it doesn't perform very much, if any better than the bike in terms of straight line speed.

Everything went braap.

Hello guybrush, greetings from Italy!

I'm pleased to read that you are interested to a new MT, either the 07 or 09...
I have my MT-07 since end of 2014, March... and I've ordered the bike in January, but many others users have had to wait very long time in order to own their 07.
The amount of the requests for the entire Europe, in the 2014, was a lot higher than the expected flow of 07 for Yama Europe... so: very long time to wait.
Maybe the 2015 will be different? Who knows...

I've tested the 09 (for three times... :) ) in the 2013 Autumn, I've seen the 07 at the 2013 Eicma, and I've tested the 07 after my order, but I was sure that I was buying the right bike for my needs.
My choice (the 07, instead than the 09), was supported by:
my needs, the price and the "other" costs (insurance, property tax here in Italy, fuel economy, the cost of the maintenance itself)
but also: the torque that is developing at a little low rpm than the 09, the 75HP that are really enough to ride, especially with a very light bike like the 07.

But you have to consider: I am 1,71 mt, my weight is 68kg (78 with the whole apparel), and I ride without passenger, some times with a little luggage for 3 or 4 days (in one tank bag and one rear seat bag).
In the 2014 season I've rode for 10k km, and the more I rode, the bigger was my smile.  8-)
The quality of the suspensions is more or less the same for the two bikes, but on the 09 you can find some controls that the 07 haven't: the preload for the forks and rebound damping (but if I remember well, one fork had the control for the preload, the other had the rebound), and the control of the rebound damping (the 07 have only the preload control).
On the 07 the main lack is the rebound damping for the rear suspension: sometimes (...sometimes!!) this is a feature that I've desired. But globally the 07 is a very very well balanced bike. Maybe the 09 is a little less well balanced than the 07, considering the bigger power and some more weight.

I think you have to consider the 09 if you are more than 1,85 mt high, the 09 is more comfortable for the high persons. And is more comfortable if you ride with a passenger, but this is not your case.
If, by any chance, you can read Italian, you can take a look here: www.mt-series.it, you will find many infos from italian users.
I hope this will help!
Cheers
Enrico

www.MT-Series.it
Yamaha Official MT-Series Club

• Global Moderator

You could try and sit on both the 09 and 07 and check out the seating position and overall feel. I tried both and felt more comfortable on a 07, it seemed to fit better.
For me, it is not about horsepower alone. It is the sum of all parts. I think that the 07 is a better balanced package. It is a straight forward, conventional and honest machine, you get what you see and you will be able to use the whole thing.
The suspension might not be premium, but it doesn't bother me because the bike is lighter and less powerful so you won't reach the limits. The price difference is not really relevant. You will end up spending it on modifications or something else anyway. There is not point is spending that price difference on trying to make the bike more powerful. If that is the goal, you might as well choose and 09. I do agree that the 07 is a better looking bike.
I used to own a 911 Carrera 4 and still own a 125hp snowmobile to get me through the winter. I now own quite a few vehicles, but the one I prefer to drive (apart from the bike of course) is a little 1977 Toyota pickup truck. I have come to the conclusion that smaller is better. It doesn't give me bragging rights, but I don't care anymore.

Very good replies! Thank you.

I am a shortie (169cm, 85kg with gear). For me lower bike is probably better. I am used to high bikes like off road KTMs though. At the moment the closest 09 (used) 09 is 230 kilometres from my home town. Closest 07 is at the same distance but different direction. I guess I should just make the haul to both towns just to sit on the bikes.

I do love power but I know that is not all there is for enjoyment. I was faster around the endurance trail on my KTM 250 than on the KTM 530. That was because of better suspension and less weight. I know suspension is not such a critical factor on a road bike than on a dirt bike.

I have looked at other brands too very closely but dont seem to find an option for FZs. Triumph street triple maybe. Having owned Japanese bikes I tend to bend against longevity and durability. No one I know owns a Triumph.. FZ07 looks so much better, looks are not everything but a machine shaped to please the eye is a joy to have. I think Yamaha really hit the nail on the looks.

I hope this thread of mine will go on.

Please post some pros and cons about the two models, bikers with FZ07 must have insight that I dont.

I am going to post the same opening to FZ09 forum too and see what comes up.

• Global Moderator

I suspect you will get people on the FZ-09 forum saying that it it's the better bike, but I obviously prefer the FZ-07 for the reasons others have already listed. They are both great bikes and I think you will be happy with either. I have a friend with a Street Triple that I have ridden a few times. It is also a very nice bike, but I do not see that it is worth the additional cost over the Yamaha's. Good luck with the decision. I am interested to see what you decide to do.

Guy, that 1st video I believe is from Russian Rider, a forum member, he has a lot of good vids, as does Thumperman all on their FZ-07

I weigh more than you, and am short, 5'7", the FZ-7 fits me perfectly, I can flat foot it, or 1 foot it and it has PLENTY of power for me when riding

I guess it all depends on the rider... For me, as soon as I sat on an FZ-07, I felt at home.... coming from a ninja 300, the ergos of the bike was just perfect for me... I'm 5'7 and 165lbs and I have no problems flatfooting the bike.... I tried the fz-09, both 2015 and 2014 and the 2015 is a lot more refined as far as fueling... It's a ton smoother than the previous year 09 and didn't feel like a bucking bronco when you get on the gas. The fz-07 is a little down on power on the 09 but the torque delivery is more direct than the 09's triple. I just love the sound of the triple but I can't fault the 07 in it being a torque monster. I went on a ride with a bunch of bikes this weekend, Triumph street triple R, FZ-09's, BMW S1000R and the fz-07 was able to hold its own...... Either bike will be a great ride but it's how it feels for you the rider... Cheers....

2015 Yamaha FZ-07
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Honda Grom

I've had a similar past, 04 CBR1000RR, WR250X Motard, now I have an R6 track bike and the FZ-07. I went with the 07 for the smaller size, the 09 felt more like the CBR (wide tank), the 07 felt more like the motard. I have not ridden the 09, but hear the engine is awesome. I'm 5'11", 220 lbs, not small, the 07 has enough power for me, but that is subjective, depends on what you are looking for. I wanted something comfortable, enough power to ride highways, and small enough to easily throw around, the 07 has fit those criteria perfectly so far.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

It looks to me like the 07 is the better choice for you, for reasons you have already stated. The 07 is a better looking bike for a better price and cheaper to insure. Your concern about horsepower being enough; both of these bikes will rip your arms out of their sockets and can easily do wheelies in several gears. You are not a heavy guy so keep that in mind. You mentioned having two small kids so I'm thinking you're not into squidly antics. I can't speak to the suspension but it seems to be good enough for lighter weight riders who don't push it too aggressively. It's fine for me and my riding style but I did have a suspension guy adjust the rear spring.

The 07 gets better gas mileage and uses regular grade. The 09 has to have premium gas. Don't know if that is an issue for you in Finland.

My hubs has an 09 and it pretty much scares me. I have ridden it and grown to really like it but I've only ridden it in "B" mode. I still prefer my 07. (I think secretly he likes mine better too.)

Illegitimi non carborundum

I would say the 07 seems to be what you are looking for too. That torque curve will make you very happy and you should never grow out of the power. The bike is very light and agile you can flick it around better than the 09. I have test rode both and I was in the same spot you were. I choose the 07 for all the reasons you have said and also the fact this bike is so well refined for the price. You are "on the market for a fun bike that is agile, has plenty of torque and is lightweight," and that is the definition of the FZ-07. It changes direction with the flick of a wrist, it has 50 Ft*Lbs of torque across pretty much the whole RPM band, and it only weighs 397 Lbs (180 Kg) fully fueled ready to ride. I don't think any other bike would fit your bill better.

I really enjoyed the FZ07 when I rode it for a week. Ergo was great and felt in love with the mid range (once tune/exhaust) The way that little twin sound too is quite sexy!

Equip the 07 with some Givi hard cases, a good screen and few other touring goodies and you have a perfect IBA machine. Would be interesting to see a S10 fuel tank fitted... that would be good for 400 miles range easy. :)

Every time I sit on a 09 I am solo glad that I did not make the mistake of buying one. For whatever reason the 7 is stupid comfortable no matter how long I ride. Honestly it comes down to what you like and what works best for you.

Follow me on Instagram. http://instagram.com/trebec

Archived