The MT-07 Forum

Wanting a more naked look

Jonnyaust

So I’ve seen a few pics of the fz07 with a lot of the plastic covers removed like the frame cover heel guard and rear tire hugger.  Would haveing a super exposed chain raise any crazy issues?    The front sprocket cover would stay on but I would like to remove everything else. i ride my bike a good amount but avoid rain. I know the main issue would be my pants or boots hitting the chain.   Does anyone ride without it on the street? 

82BF74B9-48F0-4B91-934B-F5A52EAD40FE.png

I ditched my frame covers almost immediately. No issues in 13k+miles. 

About 1500 miles ago I changed my front sprocket and the underside of my chain guard was completely clean of and chain lube fling-off. I only use BelRay Super Clean chain lube. As far as your pants leg getting in the chain, I think that is gonna depend on your pants.  I only have tight fitting riding pants, but you could always just sit on the bike and see how close it looks. I'm pretty sure the chain guard is more of a cleanliness item than a safety item, but that just my $0.02. I would not ditch the heel plates, personally. Chain guard or not. 

Ditching the chain guard would be ditching the hugger. For me, that's not an option. Too much slop hits the shock as it is. 

14 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

I ditched my frame covers almost immediately. No issues in 13k+miles. 

About 1500 miles ago I changed my front sprocket and the underside of my chain guard was completely clean of and chain lube fling-off. I only use BelRay Super Clean chain lube. As far as your pants leg getting in the chain, I think that is gonna depend on your pants.  I only have tight fitting riding pants, but you could always just sit on the bike and see how close it looks. I'm pretty sure the chain guard is more of a cleanliness item than a safety item, but that just my $0.02. I would not ditch the heel plates, personally. Chain guard or not. 

Ditching the chain guard would be ditching the hugger. For me, that's not an option. Too much slop hits the shock as it is. 

Yea I think I’m goin to pull them and adjust the wires on the brake side so it looks clean  I’ll probobly keep the heel guards and upgrade rear sets for a cleaner look.   I also chopped up the rear hugger chair guard just now so it is just a tire hugger not a chain guard.  I like the way it looks. Thanks for the input.  If my pants are ever loose fitting by the ankle I could just tuck them into my boots. But I usually right with slim fit jeans 

Archived