The MT-07 Forum

FZ07 vs Garage Door

MT27

• Premium Member

Haha thanks, this makes me feel better about my own accident. I at least only damaged my own property and was able to handle it without insurance.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, "some people don't belong on bikes".

They're a danger to themselves, others around them and particularly, innocent garage doors. 😋

Beemer

Oh man, I feel bad but that's funny. I remember a long time, well before I had ever rode a motorcycle, I was coming out of my housing complex. I saw two guys standing next to a bike and a girl sitting on it. She had shorts and a shirt and in the second or two that I passed, I just knew it was a mistake for her to ride the bike. I thought she would never get past the guard shack. We came back about 15 minutes later to find the bike on the ground, her on the ground with minor road rash and some bushes all torn up and scattered on the ground. Turns out my "intuition" was right and she hit the curb at the guard shack. Now that I think about it, I don't think she even wore a helmet.

A while back, I had a garage with a door that opened outward, swinging up instead of sliding. I got home from work on my SV650, punched in the code, then realized a little too late that the door was in a direct trajectory for my handlebar. Being as tall and top heavy as that accursed bike was, I wasn't able to back up fast enough, and I ended up getting unceremoniously pushed over by my own garage.

Fortunately(?) for me, the neighbor lady was there to witness and laugh at the whole thing (And subsequently help me pick it back up), so I didn't have to worry about keeping my pride or quietly pretending it never happened.

It was great.

Pinche garage doors.

Published 'Chronicles of a Motorcycle Gypsy' a book about my travels on the FZ, and a writer for Motorcyclist Magazine

I was selling my old Honda XL500 to a younger brothers friend and he wanted to test ride it. I asked him if he's ever rode before and he said yes. I told him to be careful because it was wicked and he said no problem but what does the fool do?! He revs it up, pops the clutch and almost flips the bike over backwards. (head slapper!) He managed to put his feet on the ground to prevent it from flipping over and was running behind the bike still gripping the bars with me running behind him yelling for him to let off the throttle.

He and the bike went diagonal across the street and were heading right for a neighbors car and I cringed. NOOOOOO!!!! At the last second he managed to get the bike to lean to the right and miss the car. After that he finally managed to let off the throttle, the front end came down and he awkwardly hopped on the bike from behind like some lame cowboy and disappeared down the street. Man, was I worried about that boy. When he got back from his test (death) ride he was grinning from ear to ear and he immediately bought it. I was so glad he was gone with the bike. ( I did wish him well 😉 )

Beemer

21 hours ago, zombiphone said:

A while back, I had a garage with a door that opened outward, swinging up instead of sliding. I got home from work on my SV650, punched in the code, then realized a little too late that the door was in a direct trajectory for my handlebar. Being as tall and top heavy as that accursed bike was, I wasn't able to back up fast enough, and I ended up getting unceremoniously pushed over by my own garage.

Fortunately(?) for me, the neighbor lady was there to witness and laugh at the whole thing (And subsequently help me pick it back up), so I didn't have to worry about keeping my pride or quietly pretending it never happened.

It was great.

Pinche garage doors.

That's a very cute story, made me laugh.

Beemer

firstyammerha

I can relate to the girl's story having my first ride on my brothers Honda S65 way back when. I thought I could take it around the neighborhood and got about three quarters of a mile away from the house before I had to cross a street. I may have shifted gear somewhere along the way and had to clutch, brake, shift down and throttle back at the stop sign.That's when mr. confusion stepped in. I didn't get the sequence right and throttled up, not even de-clutching or braking, causing me to rocket across the side street directly into the curb on the opposite side of the road. Lucky me there was no crossing traffic and I did a great imitation of Superman going over the bars, clearing the sidewalk, and landing on my extended hands and knees in one on the neighbors front yard. No damage to me or the bike but if anyone saw it, I'm sure they grimaced. I walked the bike 100 feet or so back home. One of those stories that every biker has in their memory.

In the late 60’s I lived in Van Nuys California, a suburb of Los Angles in the San Fernando Valley.
I built a chopper using a 500 Triumph. When I finished the only thing left of the Triumph was the engine and wheels.
I even built my own frame. It had a leaf spring front end and I created a skull gas tank in fiberglass.
The sissy bar I made was crisscrossed with spider webs with a big spider in the middle.
When my buddy saw what I was building he cast me a rat that we mounted crawling out from under the engine.
So, like it or not it was damn sure unique.
When I finished the bike up on a Friday evening the very first place I had to ride to was down Sepulveda Blvd.
In those days Sepulveda Blvd. was one of the cruising capitals of the world.
Everyone with a hot rod or custom bike would cruise down the strip showing off for the girls.
At one end of the strip was a Steak n shake drive in. In those days the Steak n Shake’s had parking spaces
with speakers that you placed your order at and a little filly in a short skirt would deliver it.
Everyone would cruise through the parking lot until there was an open parking spot, get out and check out all
the other rides and stand around shooting the bull and telling lies.
I made a couple of passes through the lot and the bike was cool enough that everyone including those still in
their cars got out to get a closer look. There were even some whistles and thumbs up. It was one of the proudest
moments of my life; I was on top of the world and grinning from ear to ear. After several putts around the lot
showing off I pulled into a parking spot, went to put my foot down but got my pant leg hung up on the kick start
arm and in slow motion down I went. It took a few minutes for a couple of guys to come pull the bike off me because
everyone was laughing so hard. There were several people literally rolling around on the ground holding their sides.
So in the matter of a couple of minutes I went from proudest moment in my life to the most embarrassing.

• Global Moderator
On 12/4/2018 at 12:40 PM, pegasus46 said:

In the late 60’s I lived in Van Nuys California, a suburb of Los Angles in the San Fernando Valley.
I built a chopper using a 500 Triumph. When I finished the only thing left of the Triumph was the engine and wheels.
I even built my own frame. It had a leaf spring front end and I created a skull gas tank in fiberglass.
The sissy bar I made was crisscrossed with spider webs with a big spider in the middle.
When my buddy saw what I was building he cast me a rat that we mounted crawling out from under the engine.
When I finished the bike up on a Friday evening the very first place I had to ride to was down Sepulveda Blvd.
Everyone with a hot rod or custom bike would cruise down the strip showing off for the girls.
At one end of the strip was a Steak n shake drive in. In those days the Steak n Shake’s had parking spaces
with speakers that you placed your order at and a little filly in a short skirt would deliver it.
Everyone would cruise through the parking lot until there was an open parking spot, get out and check out all
I made a couple of passes through the lot and the bike was cool enough that everyone including those still in
their cars got out to get a closer look. There were even some whistles and thumbs up. It was one of the proudest
moments of my life; I was on top of the world and grinning from ear to ear. After several putts around the lot
showing off I pulled into a parking spot, went to put my foot down but got my pant leg hung up on the kick start
arm and in slow motion down I went. It took a few minutes for a couple of guys to come pull the bike off me because
everyone was laughing so hard. There were several people literally rolling around on the ground holding their sides.
So in the matter of a couple of minutes I went from proudest moment in my life to the most embarrassing.

Sepulveda now is the trash gutter 

And I wish the steak n shake was still there

I miss em

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

firstyammerha

great story Pegasus46, let's have some more from the membership. If we get enough, someone could condense them into a book. Would be a big seller I bet.

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:40 PM, pegasus46 said:

That's probably one of the most common things that happens to bikers, getting a pant leg hung up on a peg and falling over. (or not) It almost happened to me with this bike when I stopped at a light once. I usually put my right foot down while keeping my left foot on the peg. My pant leg got hung up on the peg and I instinctively panicked because I had already started leaning the bike to the right and couldn't stop it's slow descent. I instinctively pulled and pulled real fast but that didn't help. The last second I had to save it I managed to think instead of panic and I lifted my foot back up level with the peg and then straight out to the right to undo the hang-up and set my foot down in time to stop the fall. I was real lucky on that one! I thought for sure it was going down. Even though it didn't drop I must've looked silly doing that pant yank dance.

I may've told this story before but I stupidly wore some rubber type sandals to wash my bike that were notorious for coming off my feet when I wore them to the beach and got them wet. They would become very slippery in the foot bed. Right when I started washing it dawned on me I could possibly have an accident with them on but I told myself I would be careful and went ahead with them on. 20 minutes into it I needed to push my bike forward so I could get to parts of the wheels that weren't exposed and when I put the kickstand up and started pushing the bike my left foot slipped out the back of the sandal and I went about 1/3 of the way down to the ground before I caught myself and regained my composure but the weight of the bike was too much in that precarious position and so it went to the ground. I managed to ease it down except for about the last foot so that it wouldn't damage anything but the whole thing was embarrassing still. 

I wondered how stupid I must've looked to anyone watching, it felt like it all happened in slo-mo so it must've looked rather silly to an observer. 

Beemer

Archived