The MT-07 Forum

From Harley to Holy shet Thats a Big Difference

Vex

So I've been riding for 3 years and have owned 3 different harleys. 883 1200 dyna. Seems like the normal progression for most HD guys. Until the last couple weeks I hadn't ridden a street bike for more than 15 minutes. Today i bought my MT 07 with ZERO miles on it!. First new bike and let me tell you the difference is absolutley shocking to me. The MT 07 is smoother, faster accerleration than all 3 (mostly comparable to my 1200, its close but I do beleive the MT wins by 1.5sec 0 to 60),  and more stable at high speeds (aside from the dyna at about 92mph+, dynas are 700lb tanks). Not to mention it handles better than ALL 3 COMBINED. I never knew you street bike guys had so much goddamn fun on these things. I took a turn at 40 that I could probably take at 25 max on my sporty on the way home from the dealership, it was SMOOOOOOOTH. I mean hot damn. It's rekindled my flame for riding (the flame was large but now its a hungry ravenous monster). Lets feed the beast,  it's 10pm and about 40 degrees outside and odds are im going for a midnight cruise 😂. I doubt I'll ever grab the keys for my harley again, i mean that. Having a bike that doesnt set off car alarms and rattle your brain every time u touch the throttle is awesome. It feels like im riding on tiny little angels. The suspension is awesome, handling is awesome, speed is awesome. and the day I outgrow this thing after spending a ridiculous amount of money on aftermarket goodies , im buying a MT 09. Yamaha just nabbed their most impulsive customer yet. 400 more miles to go until my break in is over and I can really push this thing to the limit. Anyway, ive been lurking on these forums for a while now, creeping on all your posts. Figured id come out of the shadows and introduce myself and my excitement.

P.S if i go missing its because my wife noticed there is another bike in our garage. send help, make sure they are armed, shes bat shet crazy.

• Premium Member

The FJ-09( MT-09 Tracer, Tracer 900 and the GT model) is the better than the FZ-09... mainly due to geared a bit more towards "touring" with a bigger rear subframe, more element protection,etc... 

I own both the FJ-09 and FZ-07 and they suit each other pretty dang well...

btw welcome to the dark side of Yamaha 😁

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Welcome and congrats! I find it funny how you seem to love how this bike handles compared to your H.D.'s. 

Around here, the general consensus is it handles like sh*t but I think that's more track talk than street. The bike is amazingly fun to ride on the street right out of the factory, despite any shortcomings. You sound pretty happy with it, keep having fun and stay frosty!

Beemer

1 hour ago, Vex said:

Yamaha just nabbed their most impulsive customer yet. 

Pahleeze....There are some around here that'd make your eyes bleed.

Welcome aboard and enjoy!

I have only ever owned and ridden Japanese sport bikes. When I got married my wife and I went to Hawaii (one of the islands, I forget which one) for our honeymoon a we thought it would be fun to rent a Harley (to see what they are like) and ride up one of the volcanoes to watch the sunrise!!

We set of in the morning and I thought we where going to die on every corner as the slightest lean had things touching the road, the sparks from behind us must have been frightening!!, we hadn't thought it through, the temp was a nice 65F when we left the hotel (in shorts & tshirts) at about 6:00am and we rode up the volcano. As we went up the temp went down.. by the time we got to the visitors center (about half way to the top) we where frozen and not enjoying the ride (due to the lack of ground clearance in the bends). I pulled over at the visitor center, put the side stand out, lent the bike over and immediately burnt my lower leg on the down pipe!! Massive burn and it really hurt!! We sat in the visitor center for about 30 minutes defrosting, missed the sunrise and decided to ride back down. Again dying on every bend!! Once we where down we quite enjoyed riding around on straight roads, but half the island was a rain forest and the rental company had said we could not ride the bike there as they go rusty. We gave the bike back after 24 hours and to this day I have never understood why anyone would buy a Harley, if its just for riding long straight roads, I would rather have a convertible sports car!!  But I guess its good that we are all different!!

Welcome to the world of sport bikes, they make much more sense to me than harleys!!

Gary

Man those cruisers stop so slow and are so damn heavy. Some dude on the side of the highway needed help with his 700+ lb cruiser, I couldn't get it off the kickstand!

1 hour ago, ZachEcho said:

Man those cruisers stop so slow and are so damn heavy. Some dude on the side of the highway needed help with his 700+ lb cruiser, I couldn't get it off the kickstand!

LOL, honestly, the stock brakes on my Dyna are 100% better then the brakes on the fz. I have had a lot of holy shet moments commuting on the fz when emergency braking. For a bike that weighs less than half the dyna it should stop alot better. Harley gets alot of crap for their stock brakes, but honestly the stopping power is way better than the fz's. funny because my HD is faster and stops better then fz and weighs 666 lbs. not knocking the Fz, i love it, it is a great bike, but the brakes suck. 

6 minutes ago, emperor_Wurm said:

LOL, honestly, the stock brakes on my Dyna are 100% better then the brakes on the fz. I have had a lot of holy shet moments commuting on the fz when emergency braking. For a bike that weighs less than half the dyna it should stop alot better. Harley gets alot of crap for their stock brakes, but honestly the stopping power is way better than the fz's. funny because my HD is faster and stops better then fz and weighs 666 lbs. not knocking the Fz, i love it, it is a great bike, but the brakes suck. 

Stock FZ brakes are actually pretty good, the limitation of the braking abilities of this bike is due to the trash suspension and non sticky tires. If you get better suspension and stickier tires, you'll stop pretty darn fast!

4 minutes ago, ZachEcho said:

Stock FZ brakes are actually pretty good, the limitation of the braking abilities of this bike is due to the trash suspension and non sticky tires. If you get better suspension and stickier tires, you'll stop pretty darn fast!

Seems strange that you would have to do that. I have never had to upgrade any of my Japanese bikes for braking purposes. We'll see, hopefully once its time to upgrade these parts, braking will improve. 

2 minutes ago, emperor_Wurm said:

Seems strange that you would have to do that. I have never had to upgrade any of my Japanese bikes for braking purposes. We'll see, hopefully once its time to upgrade these parts, braking will improve. 

The FZ-07 is more of a budget commuter motorcycle, Yamaha had to cheap out on the suspension, tires, blinkers and a few other things to keep the price tag low. If you wanted something that handled better for an extra $5000 you can go get one of their super sports which is guaranteed to be brake, turn and do certain things better

8 hours ago, robbo10 said:

The dealer gave me an hour to road test the MT. I was back inside 10 minutes to say I want it!

Funny thing to say but when I test rode one the thing that totally sold me on the bike is OMG FINALLY I HAVE HAZARDS!

4 minutes ago, ZachEcho said:

The FZ-07 is more of a budget commuter motorcycle, Yamaha had to cheap out on the suspension, tires, blinkers and a few other things to keep the price tag low. If you wanted something that handled better for an extra $5000 you can go get one of their super sports which is guaranteed to be brake, turn and do certain things better

no need for a 10K commuter, but regardless of the price the bike should stop well. This bike does not stop well.

12 hours ago, Vex said:

So I've been riding for 3 years and have owned 3 different harleys. 883 1200 dyna. Seems like the normal progression for most HD guys. Until the last couple weeks I hadn't ridden a street bike for more than 15 minutes. Today i bought my MT 07 with ZERO miles on it!. First new bike and let me tell you the difference is absolutley shocking to me. The MT 07 is smoother, faster accerleration than all 3 (mostly comparable to my 1200, its close but I do beleive the MT wins by 1.5sec 0 to 60),  and more stable at high speeds (aside from the dyna at about 92mph+, dynas are 700lb tanks). Not to mention it handles better than ALL 3 COMBINED. I never knew you street bike guys had so much goddamn fun on these things. I took a turn at 40 that I could probably take at 25 max on my sporty on the way home from the dealership, it was SMOOOOOOOTH. I mean hot damn. It's rekindled my flame for riding (the flame was large but now its a hungry ravenous monster). Lets feed the beast,  it's 10pm and about 40 degrees outside and odds are im going for a midnight cruise 😂. I doubt I'll ever grab the keys for my harley again, i mean that. Having a bike that doesnt set off car alarms and rattle your brain every time u touch the throttle is awesome. It feels like im riding on tiny little angels. The suspension is awesome, handling is awesome, speed is awesome. and the day I outgrow this thing after spending a ridiculous amount of money on aftermarket goodies , im buying a MT 09. Yamaha just nabbed their most impulsive customer yet. 400 more miles to go until my break in is over and I can really push this thing to the limit. Anyway, ive been lurking on these forums for a while now, creeping on all your posts. Figured id come out of the shadows and introduce myself and my excitement.

P.S if i go missing its because my wife noticed there is another bike in our garage. send help, make sure they are armed, shes bat shet crazy.

Welcome to the forum, if you haven't already, be sure to place your pin on our member map. then when one of us are in your area, we'll send you a pm and invite you to ride! 

1 hour ago, emperor_Wurm said:

no need for a 10K commuter, but regardless of the price the bike should stop well. This bike does not stop well.

Do your brakes need  checking? Mine stops perfectly.

Just do it! 

2 hours ago, emperor_Wurm said:

Correction, your FZ07 doesn't stop well. My FZ stops very well. Someone said recently the brakes work well enough you can flip this bike over and I believe him. Mine stop me hard and that's w/ controlled front brake, not full strength. As mentioned, you should check your brake system. 

Beemer

11 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Correction, your FZ07 doesn't stop well. My FZ stops very well. Someone said recently the brakes work well enough you can flip this bike over and I believe him. Mine stop me hard and that's w/ controlled front brake, not full strength. As mentioned, you should check your brake system. 

Hmm, I hope not. Bike only has 3200 miles on it. 

6 minutes ago, emperor_Wurm said:

Echoing those above, are you just expecting it to be grabbier? Don't confuse grabby brakes with good brakes since that's more related to the pads than anything else. Oftentimes, less grabby is actually better since you can modulate more carefully. 

I am expecting the bike to stop shorter than it does. I will throw some new pads on there to see if there is any improvement. I understand this is a "Budget" bike. But I am very disappointed with the braking system on this bike. I am wondering if the brake lines are the issue? although I have never experienced issues with anyother stock brake hoses on other bikes....Maybe I am just expecting too much from a 4900 dollar bike. All good though. Its not gonna stop me from riding it. Thanks for the advice.  

23 minutes ago, emperor_Wurm said:

I found my front brake cable pinched off for some reason more than once and it affected it. Miles mean nothing sometimes. Sometimes it's the little things. 

Beemer

I came off Supersports and the brakes on the FZ07 do very well.  Never once thought they weren't good.  Don't the track guys keep them mostly stock?

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, emperor_Wurm said:

I am expecting the bike to stop shorter than it does. I will throw some new pads on there to see if there is any improvement. I understand this is a "Budget" bike. But I am very disappointed with the braking system on this bike. I am wondering if the brake lines are the issue? although I have never experienced issues with anyother stock brake hoses on other bikes....Maybe I am just expecting too much from a 4900 dollar bike. All good though. Its not gonna stop me from riding it. Thanks for the advice.  

I still run stock pads on the track, and run them HARD.... I did steel braided brake lines , front & rear. Not really sure if it stops any faster, but it has a MUCH better "feel" to it. Not as soft/mushy, and more precise. I consider it money well spent 😎-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

From Harley to Holy shet Thats a Big Difference

That is like saying your country beat the French

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Who needs the brakes? Engine braking works for most of my stops. 😀

The brake on mine seem to be really strong.

Archived