The MT-07 Forum

MT07 18 - Is there a 1st gear throttle restriction?

Rmbukk

New MT07 2018 model - just clocked over 50 miles!

The bike seems to have slightly less snap and a bit of delay/retardation in 1st when compared to the other gears. I know some other bikes have a bit of restriction in the first few gears to make them a bit more manageable etc. KTM 690 prime example....

I am not sure if it is all in my head and I've found nothing when searching the net...

intensity_white

I've never noticed anything like that.  In fact, there's more of an on/off switch feel in 1st gear until your learn to feather the clutch a bit more than other bikes... 

yeah the mt07s do seem to have a bit of chain snap, especially when the chain tension isnt spot on. I don't really mean the on/off switch feel though, this is just a genetic trait with twins and singles etc. It seems like there is a bit of lag and disconnection in 1st than the other gears..

Easy test

Hold the right side twisty thngy all the way open

Pull that left silver lever do hicky in

step on that lever at the left foot

Let go of that left silver lever do hicky

You answer will come rapidly in many forms of facial and anal expressions

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

On 11/28/2018 at 6:17 AM, Vex said:

Just bought mine today, still breaking it in, i'll let you know when I hit 500mi and do an oil change 2 days from now. 

you know these motors are bench tested on a dyno in a factory right? 

On 11/28/2018 at 2:05 PM, r1limited said:

Easy test

Hold the right side twisty thngy all the way open

Pull that left silver lever do hicky in

step on that lever at the left foot

Let go of that left silver lever do hicky

You answer will come rapidly in many forms of facial and anal expressions

I tried the above and my anus made no expression that differed from the norm - "😮"

There is nothing about it to find on the net because it's not a problem, it's just a trait of the bike. With time you'll most likely become accustom to this bikes little quirks as you do with most bikes. Personally, I hardly find this bike restricted, especially when you can easily/accidentally pull power wheelies in 1st and 2nd gear. I'm sure I'm not imagining that. 😉

Beemer

8 hours ago, Beemer said:

There is nothing about it to find on the net because it's not a problem, it's just a trait of the bike. With time you'll most likely become accustom to this bikes little quirks as you do with most bikes. Personally, I hardly find this bike restricted, especially when you can easily/accidentally pull power wheelies in 1st and 2nd gear. I'm sure I'm not imagining that. 😉

Don’t get me wrong, my bike pulls really well in all

gears, no probs showing a bit of wheelie in 1st, 2nd and even 3rd on the throttle alone....

Maybe it is just a trait, perhaps it is just that the 1st gear is so short it runs out pretty easily, just thought I would enquire here!

Strangest thing is I actually work for Yamaha UK and they are pretty stumped also... 

• 2 weeks later...

I have not noticed this. If I snap the throttle in 1st the front tire comes off the ground. I do not perceive any delay or less snap. It will jerk your head back with moderate inputs.

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t know if the 07 is restricted but the 09 doesn’t get full timing until 3rd gear if I remember correctly. I had my first 09 flashed and the timing dodo was eliminated then. You might contact one of the outfits that perform ecu flashing and ask them.

'16 Yamaha FZ-07, '15 Yamaha FZ-09

• 2 weeks later...

Alright I've got over 1k miles on mine. 1st does seem a little short compared to other bikes I've owned. I've hit the rev limiter once while not paying attention I wouldn't push 1st to hard. I normally go into 2nd about 10k rpms if I'm going for speed and by the time I look down I'm going close to 60 and quickly shift up to keep momentum. On average I shift about 6k going 20 to 30mph in 1st. If you open and close throttles it's a pretty shaky ride but once you get the right wrist down you'll be good to go. If all else fails you've got a gaurenteed 1yr yamaha warranty on that bad boy, take it in, if I felt like ANYTHING I mean anything went wrong I'd take mine in. One of the perks of buying new =] also I doubt there is a throttle restriction (considering other countries sell those separately to meet codes) , I do see alot of people raving about the ECU tune from 2wdw after exhaust mod, I'm guessing if it does have a restriction retuning should fix it.

The reason for this is the predominantly over axis pendulum effect causing a lift in preconceived rotational volume.  The fact that the twist is longer than the thrust is extended by constant variables in the rotational reflex effect between both front and rear relational mass.  Depending on the sideof the equator you are on this effect can be reverse

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

34 minutes ago, r1limited said:

The reason for this is the predominantly over axis pendulum effect causing a lift in preconceived rotational volume.  The fact that the twist is longer than the thrust is extended by constant variables in the rotational reflex effect between both front and rear relational mass.  Depending on the sideof the equator you are on this effect can be reverse

OK, Jimmy!

Beemer

There's definitely something different in first... taking a look at the Accel Enrichment in FlashTune, there's a different setting for first (left) and the other five gears (right) but I'm too new with this software to tell exactly what it means.

Accel Enrichment.png

I think it's more likely to be the TB's are out of sync than some specific 1st gear detuning from Yamaha in 1st gear only.

Regarding the image above, if there was indeed detuning of some sort, I doubt it'd be limited to 3000 rpm and 95% throttle (also those images appear to be from a 2015).

Very astute, topazsparrow, they are.  The 2018 has the same settings as it turns out, I just happened to have the 2015 open at the time.

• Premium Member

The only thing I could find was this description from an FZ 07 flash service.

flash includes:

Fuel changes to match your modifications

ignition timing for best power and throttle response

fan temps lowered

injector decal cut disabled

rev limiter raised

timing restrictions removed from lower gears

6 hours ago, Benh972 said:

The only thing I could find was this description from an FZ 07 flash service.

flash includes:

Fuel changes to match your modifications

ignition timing for best power and throttle response

fan temps lowered

injector decal cut disabled

rev limiter raised

timing restrictions removed from lower gears

If this is true (I hope it is) I'll be sending my ECU in tmrw 😃

DAMN I'm clever😋

Searched the internet high and low and couldn't find any information regarding this so to be honest kind of forgot about this and now my bike is broken in doesn't seem as noticeable, heck I even work for Yamaha in London UK and nobody knew anything about it here....

Guess we can all look forward to even more savage first gear power wheelies now....

• Premium Member

I just happend across the description that said that. Any timing restrictions present are no bother to me. I would also take this as an indication, and not a full confirmation. I have seen websites copy and paste thier descriptions and flub accuracy. If this is important to you I would confirm with your tuning provider with a phone call or email.

On 12/2/2018 at 7:39 AM, Beemer said:

heh my early days with the bike where quite startling that way.  So many times accelerating and pulling accidental wheelies.  All my prior bikes had been early 80's machines which where generally too front-heavy to do that.  Could wheelie them, of course, but you'd have to work at it and clutch it up.

Sometimes, I feel my MT07 secretly longs to be a unicycle.

14 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

heh my early days with the bike where quite startling that way.  So many times accelerating and pulling accidental wheelies.  All my prior bikes had been early 80's machines which where generally too front-heavy to do that.  Could wheelie them, of course, but you'd have to work at it and clutch it up.

Sometimes, I feel my MT07 secretly longs to be a unicycle.

It begs the question, do motorcycles have unicycle dreams? 😁

Beemer

I don't know... I've only ever once accidentally made the front wheel come up with any height.  Maybe I'm just too smooth on the throttle?  (I've also never intended to try a wheelie, so there's that too.)

6 minutes ago, Blitz6804 said:

I don't know... I've only ever once accidentally made the front wheel come up with any height.  Maybe I'm just too smooth on the throttle?  (I've also never intended to try a wheelie, so there's that too.)

I think it's wildly blown out of proportion by old farts and new riders scared of their shadow when they all say stuff like "You just can't keep the front wheel down" or "This thing is a dangerous accident waiting to happen with how easily you accidentally wheelie it".

Comments like that about the STOCK FZ-07 nonetheless. It's absurd. You really gotta give it the nuts to get the front wheel up in first with the stock throttle radius. If you're that ham fisted with the throttle on a bike in 1st gear, you're not qualified to ride a bicycle let alone a street bike. Second is literally impossible to wheelie accidentally in 99% of situations. You have to bounce the front end by chopping the throttle to get it up.

Archived