Cruizin

Don't ever test ride a Ninja 1000

Cruizin

The 2011 -18 Ninja 1000 always caught my eye, but I never understood why. People call it the Gentleman's Sport bike. Its not really a traditional sportbike, you sit up straight, right ?  It's not really a Sport tourer like the Concours. No Cruise control, can get hard bags but they cost $1200 from the factory.  I always liked the look of the bike, but it has been tucked away in the corner of my mind where bike models linger until I get to meet and ride em. 

That changed tonight when my neighbor brought home his new to him 2012 Ninja 1000. He tossed me the keys and asked me to take it for a spin and let him know what I think. So, I took it for an hour run. 

And now I want one. It's fast, but only when you want it to be.  6 speeds, but you could honestly just leave it in 3rd gear all day.

Seriously. Midrange power like you wouldn't believe.  Comfortable, easy to ride, fun to ride.  

I could commute on this bike easily, and I could take off on a 1500 mile trip on this bike just as easily. 

The swing arms even have this genius cam turning device that makes chain adjustments easy as hell with just a ratchet or allen wrench. 

Seriously, don't ever test ride a Ninja 1000. It will have you questioning naked bikes and smaller engines. And I dont wanna hear any crap from someone who hasn't actually ridden one.  Seriously, I think it's one of the most perfect bikes ever.  Or at least perfect for me. 

And taking a look at the Ninja 1000 forum, they last. A bunch of em with 60,000 plus miles already. 

• Like 6

Mr_Smifff

I always loved the look of of 2007ish Ninjas. My neighbor has 2 identical 2007 ninja 1000s. I got to cruise around on one at the beginning of the summer and I have to agree with you. Very easy bike to ride and when you want...very fast. I dont know about the newer models but I can imagine they have only improved upon an already good ride.

• Like 1

norcal616

I have had bad luck/juju owning a Kawasaki...so im not interested in throwing a leg over one anytime soon... 

Cruizin

Its got to be the best kept of a secret bike out there.  The ninja zx10R out sells it 3 to one, but that bike is uncomfortable, sucks on anything other than a track. I think many peeps just want to say they have the fastest bikes, but then are in total pain and discomfort in traffic.  Winding around cars in traffic while bent all the way forward with your feet way back behind you sucks. 

Seriously, that Ninja 1000 is the best kept secret on two wheels. Its kinda like the older Honda VRF, but with a shitload more power.

Cruizin
4 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

I have had bad luck/juju owning a Kawasaki...so im not interested in throwing a leg over one anytime soon... 

Every bike factory builds occasional lemons.   I have had a couple, Yamaha and Honda. 

• Like 1

norcal616
1 hour ago, Cruizin said:

Every bike factory builds occasional lemons.   I have had a couple, Yamaha and Honda. 

not a "lemon" but just didnt mesh well with me... 

stev74

Never drove it but always loved the look of that bike.
In europe I think it's called z1000sx.
I drove the versys 1000 with the same engine I guess. That engine was amazing.
So smooth and can be very fast.

• Like 1

Beemer

Is this a Yamaha loyalty test?

• Haha 4

bornagainbiker

I bet the Ninja 1000 would be a great allround bike.  BTW @Cruizin, what does the Ninja 1000 weigh in at?

Beemer
18 minutes ago, bornagainbiker said:

I bet the Ninja 1000 would be a great allround bike.  BTW @Cruizin, what does the Ninja 1000 weigh in at?

Curb weight for the 2018 is 516 lbs.

• Thanks 1

Spitfire

Is there an advantage of the Ninja over the Versys?

Cruizin

Versys sits up higher and is an adventure bike where the Ninja is a sport bike. Different choices.

I still love Yamaha too and the FZ-07. We gotta have love for all good bikes though. 

• Like 2

5tonfan

I read this the day after a friend tells me about one for sale at a hell of a deal. Hmmmm coincidence or fate?

• Haha 1

Cruizin
51 minutes ago, 5tonfan said:

I read this the day after a friend tells me about one for sale at a hell of a deal. Hmmmm coincidence or fate?

What state? I cant find any used model for sale here, cept for overpriced models at the dealer. 

kbob2000

This is the direction I want to go when I move back to the States.  I'm thinking of getting rid of my GSXR and I have to sell my MT since it's euro spec. Then get a bike that can do the occasional track day or tour or commute and be enjoyable all the time.  I've played with the idea of the S1000R, Ducati SuperSport and Aprilia Tuono.    Sexy bikes but not sure if I want to get away from Japanese reliability.  Duc and BMW have more power than I'm after but I don't see a lot of choices for bikes that have the sport touring formula skewed towards sport (and still look damn good).  This would be a much cheaper option and it has reviewed quite well.