The MT-07 Forum

FTecu FlashTune kit issues

r4gnar

Friends, 

I need your help because I'm at a point of ultimate frustration with this and my limited knowlege isn't helping either.

My setup:

2016 MT-07 (I'm in EU)
SC Project Conic exhaust

DNA air filter (without the lid, I have the factory snorkel instead)

FTecu FlashTune side harness

The problem:
Everything is connected and the software works fine. The thing is that I find myself reflashing the damn ECU every week or so because it keeps self correcting back to the shitty state. Normally the first ride after the flash is OK but then what happens is that the throttle gets progressively more snatchy, jerky etc. It pretty much selft corrects to a point where I feel absolutely no difference between stock settings and flashed settings. I use the stock base mapping (I tried unrestricted but after reading more about it beeing blanket changed and not tested and more suited for track riding I switched to stock, however I had the same issue with unrestricted mapping) with a PowerCommander fuel map. I'm not comfortable with changing anything but the PC map, fan temps and Decel cut. I'm not entirely sure if the decel cut setting does anything really but like I said, first ride after flashing is noticably smoother.

So... my questions are:

1. How do I make the settings persist? I know ECU adjusts with time but the change is pretty drastic in my case and makes me regret even buying the harness in the first place.
  2. I'd like to lower the amount of exhaust popping, but editing the PowerCommander mapping doesn't seem to have any effect. Editing the fueling in 0 throttle posittion (the first column) with the injectors turned on on decel. I know every exhaust is different and it might not be possible to get rid of the pop but the fact I tried so many different setting and different PC maps to no effect is frustrating. Is there something else I could try to combat this?

Thanks!

• Premium Member

keep the Deceleration Injection off... I had that problem where the PCV AutoTuner kept tuning the Deceleration which cause weird idle, on/off throttle response,etc...

set the trim allowance to 5% or less... default is like 15-20% IIRC... I learned to only accept the "trims" a few times over a period of time, not after each ride...

Deceleration Injection is OFF in OEM trim- this is what gives the FZ-07 that aggressive engine braking

Deceleration Injection turned ON will add more fuel during deceleration which softens the engine braking- PCV autotuner is not smart enough to know this so it tunes it out...

also when you go for a ride please use the majority of the RPMs in each gear for a good long ride so the computer can make adjustments across the whole map...doing a quick ride/cruise will tune the bike to that type of riding...

all PCV maps are built off of OEM settings so changing the OEM settings (not including fan temps/ speed limiter) will change how the PCV maps respond... also majority of PCV maps are built on "4th gear" unless " PER GEAR MAPPING" is enabled w/ map already set up for "per gear mapping"...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I don't have the auto-tune kit. Also, not sure what you mean by trim allowance - haven't seen that setting anywhere in FTECU software. Can you please elaborate on that? @norcal616

• Premium Member

Im not 100% familiar with FTecu software but I mentioned Trim Allowance as an idea becuase PCV autotuner and FTecu share alot of similarity in how they operate I gathered in my tuning adventures...

PCV autotuner has this setting called Trim allowance- this is a limit as to how much of a change is allowed ...if the map value is 100 and the trim allowance is 10% for example the conputer is only allowed to recommend/correct to 110- 90 value... 

I only messed with trim allowances maybe 2 times but felt weird as I assumed its there for safety so I but it back default... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

have you tried putting the ECU back to OEM settings and load a PC map? 

you can adjust the fan temps/speed limter if you want but keep the Deceleration Injection OFF... 

Gotcha. Well... I don't think I have that option without auto-tune kit. I'm gonna try using more RPM range next time. It did cross my mind it might be my riding because I tend to stay in low RPM more often then not.

As for your question @norcal616, my ECU is pretty much OEM with the exception of fan temps and I have a PC map on top of that. I can feel the difference right after flashing, but it goes away completely after few rides.

I wonder if disconnecting the sensor could stop the auto adjusting. Also, some people say that engine braking goes down 50% when the injectors are turned on decel. The biggest change in that regard was when I installed the aftermarket exhaust. Haven't noticed any dramatic changes in engine braking after fiddling with the injectors setting in FTECU.

The reason I know "something" works is because I successfully adjusted the fan temps. Is it possible that some ecu's are more responsive to tuning? I was suprised to see my ECU is PHL which I assume is the Philippines region instead of EU.

21 hours ago, r4gnar said:

I wonder if disconnecting the sensor could stop the auto adjusting. Also, some people say that engine braking goes down 50% when the injectors are turned on decel. The biggest change in that regard was when I installed the aftermarket exhaust. Haven't noticed any dramatic changes in engine braking after fiddling with the injectors setting in FTECU.

The reason I know "something" works is because I successfully adjusted the fan temps. Is it possible that some ecu's are more responsive to tuning? I was suprised to see my ECU is PHL which I assume is the Philippines region instead of EU.

I would try unplugging the 02 sensor and checking it over a full tank of fuel to see what happens. PCVs require that the 02 sensor is unplugged to utilise the full benefits of the map. Unplugging it will throw a check engine light, just ignore it - you can buy 02 sensor 'delete' kits cheaply.

All ECUs will respond the same.

Exhaust popping is due to fueling (tune) issues.

Which fuel map are you using for your setup? Have you also updated the engine timing map? In my opinion changing the air filter requires significantly greater fueling adjustments than just addition of an aftermarket exhaust. Stock filter works fine, you do get a benefit from removing the snorkel.

1 hour ago, stickshift said:

Which fuel map are you using for your setup? Have you also updated the engine timing map? In my opinion changing the air filter requires significantly greater fueling adjustments than just addition of an aftermarket exhaust. Stock filter works fine, you do get a benefit from removing the snorkel.

I'm using the one for Akrapovic with snorkel removed. It's the closest match to my setup I think. Like I said, I run stock mapping with the PC fuel map on top. Haven't updated the engine timing map because I have 0 clue what to change. The PC map files have ignition timing inside but I'm not sure if this is applied by the FTECU when I pick the PC map.

I would think that if you do not have an active tune FTECU setup with a wideband O2, that your tune should not be self adjusting or reverting back to stock. What you may be feeling is the difference between the PCV map and the way the FTECU handles a map. From what I've seen from pictures of the FTECU fuel tables you can adjust fuel cells across a wider range of throttle positions than you can on a PCV map. PCV maps have throttle percentage columns that go 0,2,5,10,15,20,40,60,80and 100% throttle and no in between numbers to adjust those areas say for example 90 or 95% throttle like the FTECU does. Maybe that is what you are feeling, you may be falling into a throttle percentage cell that is not tuned so you are getting those inconsistencies.

I've never used the FTECU but look and make sure you are not tuning the closed loop map (I'm not sure if you can even access that map in the ECU with FTECU but it's worth looking into). If you can access two different maps named open loop or closed loop, the open loop is the one you want to tune. Closed loop map is when you are cruising with a consistent throttle input.

As stickshift said you can also play with removing the stock O2 and see how it reacts. I have mine removed and did not get a check engine light and I have been running my FZ this way for over 6 months. Also look in your FTECU software to see if you can disable the stock O2 I know it is an option on some bikes. The only problem with an O2 eliminator kit that plugs into where the stock O2 connects is that it has a resistor in it to trick the ECU into thinking the O2 is taking readings. You DO NOT want this on the FZ07 as it will force the ECU into running in the closed loop map all the time which is an extremely lean map. During acceleration the O2 sensor is idle (not taking readings and in Open loop cycle) at cruising is when the O2 takes readings and that is when the ECU goes into closed loop mapping. The reason PCV and EJK says to remove the stock O2 is to allow the bike to run in the open loop map in the ECU all the time. By bypassing the closed loop map (which is the EPA lean cruising map) it allows the PCV or EJK or any other inline fuel controller to control the fueling all the time, this paired with an autotuning device is a really good setup as you can set the cruising AFR's to whatever you want. I run my autotune at 13.7AFR cruising range and 13.2 everywhere else and it's a really good setup.

I find it hard to belive that FTECU would allow to use PCV maps and then not be able to cover all spots in the RPM range/Throttle position but your explanation does make a lot of sense. It definitely feels like that sometimes. Maybe I should upgrade to the auto-tune kit and be done with this nonesense.

In FTECU applying a PCV map is a separate setting. Not sure how it works "under the hood" but loading PCV map doesn't change any other maps layout (at least I haven't noticed any changes but then again I'm not sure what I'm looking at here). I wish I knew how to tune this stuff *sigh*.

I'll keep looking. Maybe I missed something obvious. I really don't want to spend more money to solve a problem I wouldn't have had if I had made different choices regarding my exhaust selection. I've been thinking recently to going back to stock exhaust. That way it's bad, but at least it's factory bad lol.

I'm not saying you should go out and buy the autotune kit tomorrow that's completely up to you but my experience with the power commander's autotune setup has been nothing but amazing. It was a little rough at first figuring out all the settings and how it reacted to minor changes but it made a world of difference once it straightened the map out. I started with a base map from Dynojet for the Akra Ti system (which is what I run) and DNA filter with the open lid (I run a K&N filter with the lid hole enlarged to simulate the DNA setup) and could not believe how much it needed to change the map and it changed it for the better. As time went on I bought the POD 300 so I could data log my AFR's and tune according and it made even more of a difference in getting the map refined. I ultimately went this route because I do not have access to a local dyno shop that could fine tune my map for the area I ride in.

Maybe try a couple different maps for exhausts that are similar to the one you have. The Akra Ti maps are different because that pipe has larger chambers. I would try the map for the graves, yosh, or arrow and see what that gets you. Those are shorter more straight through exhausts kind of like the SC you have.

Once you get used to tuning it's not bad. I can pull my data logs, look at the autotune trim tables and compare what changes it says it needs to the logs and it's pretty spot on and the ones that are off I manually adjust, accept and send the map. I've got it down where I can do all that in about 20 minutes. I don't mess with the timing though as that would require a dyno so I just leave it to what the dynojet map has.

On 6/25/2018 at 8:13 PM, r4gnar said:

l'll keep looking. Maybe I missed something obvious. I really don't want to spend more money to solve a problem I wouldn't have had if I had made different choices regarding my exhaust selection. I've been thinking recently to going back to stock exhaust. That way it's bad, but at least it's factory bad lol.

The problem of the map reverting back to stock is not related at all to your exhaust choice.

Something is amiss. I suggest contacting other ftecu users for advice (or YouTube), reading the instructions or contacting the manufacturer. It sounds like user error to me, as you pointed out in your first post. I doubt spending more money will be required to sort this out.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, CarGuy7a said:

OP have you figured out the issue yet?

No, not yet. I tried riding using more RPM but that doesn't seem to change anything. I'm thinking about reaching out to FTECU people for advice.

Another thing that came to mind is that most of the PCV maps on PC website are probably made by people from the USA. Maybe that setup simply doesn't work where I live. (EDIT: or doesn't work well with the European ECU configuration)

More to come... I'll post updates when I have them.

On 7/8/2018 at 4:19 PM, r4gnar said:

No, not yet. I tried riding using more RPM but that doesn't seem to change anything. I'm thinking about reaching out to FTECU people for advice.

Another thing that came to mind is that most of the PCV maps on PC website are probably made by people from the USA. Maybe that setup simply doesn't work where I live. (EDIT: or doesn't work well with the European ECU configuration)

More to come... I'll post updates when I have them.

I was thinking about that as well seeing that you said you are in EU. I have read that the stock ECU mapping is a little different. You could try emailing FTECU themselves and see what their recommended setup is for an EU configured ECU. Hope you get it sorted. Keep us posted man.👍

• Premium Member

yea... EU and USA maps are diffrent...

you need a EU spec map...only 1 available EU spec map on website for all stock EU bike on powercommander USA website..

this is EU website..https://dynojet.co.uk

RIght... so I tried opening a ticket on their webstite but got an error message saying the ticketing system is for authorized users only. I'm a registered user so that thing is definitely broken. They have an email adress for tickets listed on ther website but when I tried that, I got a bounce saying their system couldn't find an account associated with my email. That was my fault, because I've sent it from a different mailbox. So then I tried again using the adress I'm registered with and got another bounce:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

pipe to |/home/flasht/public_html/support/api/pipe.php
    generated by tickets@ftecu.com
    local delivery failed

So that thing is clearly broken too.

As a final effort I tried the other email they have, dedicated for sales. Didn't get a bounce yet, which is good. Or is it? I'm hoping they will forward it to their support people/team/robots/potatoes.

Time wasted: 30 minutes

Hair lost: 1337

I am in the EU as well and haven't had the issues you are talking about and I use the US power commander maps.  Do they have the exact code on your ecu to create flashes from?  I used a different one from my ecu because when I got my bike, the exact one wasn't available.  I got a check engine light even though it ran okay and eventually they loaded my ecu code up and all was well.  I have Mivv Oval Carbon exhaust and almost no pops now.

2 hours ago, kbob2000 said:

I am in the EU as well and haven't had the issues you are talking about and I use the US power commander maps.  Do they have the exact code on your ecu to create flashes from?  I used a different one from my ecu because when I got my bike, the exact one wasn't available.  I got a check engine light even though it ran okay and eventually they loaded my ecu code up and all was well.  I have Mivv Oval Carbon exhaust and almost no pops now.

Yeah, my ECU code is there, although instead of EU location code mine has PHL (Philipnes?) I haven't tried any other.  Thanks for letting me know, that's encouraging.

I'll quadrupe triple doublecheck my O2 sensor while I wait for FTECU reply to make sure it sits right.  I'm slowly losing my mind over this.

On 7/10/2018 at 8:23 AM, norcal616 said:

yea... EU and USA maps are diffrent...

you need a EU spec map...only 1 available EU spec map on website for all stock EU bike on powercommander USA website..

this is EU website..https://dynojet.co.uk

I couldn't find maps on the UK site.  The US site has a map search button, I couldn't find anything like that on the UK site.  It was pretty frustrating, actually.  

topazsparrow
9 hours ago, kbob2000 said:

I couldn't find maps on the UK site.  The US site has a map search button, I couldn't find anything like that on the UK site.  It was pretty frustrating, actually.  

Did you try calling or emailing?

Most companies are generally quick to reply with simple questions like that.

13 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

Did you try calling or emailing?

Most companies are generally quick to reply with simple questions like that.

I don't really care that much.  I"m using US maps with no problems and have been for nearly a year.  I just wanted to see what they had on the link posted and there were no maps to be found, at least after several minutes of searching.

topazsparrow
6 hours ago, kbob2000 said:

I don't really care that much.  I"m using US maps with no problems and have been for nearly a year.  I just wanted to see what they had on the link posted and there were no maps to be found, at least after several minutes of searching.

I also gave it the old college try and was only able to find installation manuals. It's why I have a hunch they are likely to just point you to the US site for the maps.

I honestly can't imagine the maps being that much different for UK vs NA. The mechanical components of the engine are nearly, if not entirely, the same. 

Here's an update for ya:

I managed to get in touch with FTECU people. They offered to look at my map and they haven't found anything that would cause the problems I described. They did however offer a potential solution which is removing/disconnecting the stock O2 sensor. Now, I don't have a plug for the O2 bung and I don't know if the manufacturer of my exhaust offers one. Maybe these are universal? Anyway, for now I will have to disconnect the signal wire from the wire loom itself. I don't know how to do that yet, I'm planning to dig through the forum for answers and I'm open to any suggestions you may have. If removing the sensor doesn't help, I will report back my findings back to FTECU guys and we'll try something else. 

On a side note here, I can not say a bad word about people at FTECU. I'm happy how they are handling this, and the experience has been fine so far.

More to come, hopefully in the near future.

• Premium Member

stock o2 threads are 12mm x1.25mm IIRC, go to a good nut/bolt store like Fastnal for a good stainless bolt bout 10mm long...  you can disconnect the o2 sensor behind the silver frame guard above the footpeg area and leave the sensor in the exhaust... its best to remove the o2 sensor so its not getting destroyed just hanging out on the exhaust...

another odd idea is maybe you have a "quick turn" throttle installed? if so that may give you fits with tuning/troubleshooting since you gotta be "on point" with throttle control vs the stock throttle tube...

edit: corrected thread size

Archived